userIbl shader from mr 3.10

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Daniel Brassard

Re: userIbl shader from mr 3.10

Post by Daniel Brassard » 10 May 2012, 22:40

Hi Maximus,
can you share please the ptex.mi and mib_ptex_lookup.spdl?
i'll double check
Sure, as soon as I modified the spdl to include the drop down menu for the filter and button to navigate to the .ptx file I'll upload both files.

In the interim, the ptex.mi file is as follows (you can also copy it from Maya):

Code: Select all

# ptex lookup shader
#
# filename: .ptx file
#
# width: scale factor for filter width
# blur: blur amount to add to filter width [0..1]
#
# filter_type:
# 0 point Point-sampled (no filtering)
# 1 bilinear Bi-linear interpolation
# 2 box Box filter
# 3 gaussian Gaussian filter
# 4 bicubic General bi-cubic filter (uses sharpness option)
# 5 bspline BSpline (equivalent to bi-cubic w/ sharpness=0)
# 6 catmullrom Catmull-Rom (equivalent to bi-cubic w/ sharpness=1)
# 7 mitchell Mitchell (equivalent to bi-cubic w/ sharpness=2/3)
#
# interpolate_level: Interpolate between mipmap levels
# filter_sharpness: for general bi-cubic filter only

declare shader
     color "mib_ptex_lookup" (
          string "filename",
          scalar "width" default 1.0,
          scalar "blur" default 0.0,
          integer "filtertype" default 4,
          boolean "interpolate_level" default off,
          scalar "filter_sharpness" default 1.0)
     version 1
end declare 
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 10 May 2012, 22:53

Kzin wrote:
ActionArt wrote:
Saturn wrote:You must use the "light relative scale" string option with a value of 0.318 (1/pi)
Anyone know where this can be set?
set the diffuse weight of the mia_mat to 0,318.
Thanks!

This is a nice tool! Such a shame it's never been hooked up. I've never understood that. Great tools sitting right there and not even connected by the SI team.

Thanks to everyone here for activating it :-bd

Clappy

Post by Clappy » 10 May 2012, 23:20

Newb question: I understand how to install a spdl, but how do I get the code from the op into the .spdl format?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 10 May 2012, 23:26

I'm likely not the best one to answer this but what I did was just copy the script at the top of this thread, open the script editor in SI, paste it in there, save it and then rename it .spdl. It worked. There's probably a much better way.

Clappy

Post by Clappy » 10 May 2012, 23:38

ActionArt wrote:I'm likely not the best one to answer this but what I did was just copy the script at the top of this thread, open the script editor in SI, paste it in there, save it and then rename it .spdl. It worked. There's probably a much better way.
Did not work for me: I copied the op's provided text into the script editor. Saved it out. Renamed it useribl.spdl. Tried to install it from the plugin manager and it did not recognize it.

What format did you save the text out as?

Thanks,

MC

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 10 May 2012, 23:48

Just VBScript. Try this attachment.

Make sure the dll files are in place first (provided earlier in this thread).

edit: attach didn't seem to work so try this:

http://www.creativecontrol.ca/send/forumstuff/IBL.spdl

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 May 2012, 00:54

ok 2 files here:

useribl.dll -> goes here "C:\Users\Yourname\Autodesk\Softimage_2013\Application\bin\nt-x86-64"
useribl.spdl -> goes here "C:\Users\Yourname\Autodesk\Softimage_2013\Application\spdl"
Attachments
Useribl.rar
(88.97 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Clappy

Post by Clappy » 11 May 2012, 02:14

Thanks a lot guys!

Is this the correct workflow?

1) I set up my environment as normal (rayswitch, environment blur, HDR etc).

2) I plug the userIBL node into the custom environment shader node for my area light. I plug the same HDR I am using for my environment into the userIBL. I do the same for any other light I put in the scene.

3) I set the diffuse weight on all my mia shaders to .318.

I have done the above for my test scene and things are looking good. Just want to be sure I am not missing a step.

Cheers,
Matt

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 11 May 2012, 02:34

very nice contribution to the community...

Though the fact that the IBL doesnt yeld phisically correct energy blows my mind, and explains why it has NOT been integrated in SI. I wonder why they did that to Maya. Its ridiculous to ask for the users to dial a specific magic number in all instances of the main shader in the render engine...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 May 2012, 05:41

quick test i did

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 11 May 2012, 09:51

gustavoeb wrote:very nice contribution to the community...

Though the fact that the IBL doesnt yeld phisically correct energy blows my mind, and explains why it has NOT been integrated in SI. I wonder why they did that to Maya. Its ridiculous to ask for the users to dial a specific magic number in all instances of the main shader in the render engine...
it is correct. the problem here are two different shader types and its handling of reflectence.
the ibl shader is correct with 0.318 of diffuse weight for all mats which are not following a bsdf shading convention.
this is a good example why mr has to fight at the moment, compatibility with older shading types.

ad is not interested at the moment to do anything with mr, it has nothing to do with things like that. i think that ad is not capable of handling something like mr. you can see this for example in all 3 packages, the old presets all around, they make no sense anymore for more modern rendering stuff. in xsi i use most time native mr shaders for lights because we have the old school softlight node. we use the advanced mia_mat because ad is not capable of getting the aniso bug out of its implementation (will test this again for 2013). and now we have the ibl stuff which is not implemented since 3 versions (besides progressive rendering and iray).
interesting thing that ad implement the fg/ip thing and also new options for ip raydepth raycount, which is nice. but it all shows that they dont have a plan and no betatesters which say what is really needed in terms of rendering (or they dont read the mr bug/featurelists).

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 11 May 2012, 09:53

Maximus wrote:quick test i did
how do you get the transparency to work with useribl?
i got black renders of transp objects in my testscene.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 May 2012, 12:35

i didnt do anything special..those are normal architectural material with transparency.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 11 May 2012, 17:53

Maximus wrote:i didnt do anything special..those are normal architectural material with transparency.
good that yposted that example.
i setup a new scene and it works now. transp ist visible in rendering, but shadows are not transparent, yeah, but its rendering correct for primary rays.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 11 May 2012, 18:46

yeah, there is some problem with transparent shadows as Saturn said too, if i switch to transparent shadows only the opaque shadows are shown, the transparent spheres lose their shadows and doesnt render it,

It is certainly far from perfect but for a lot of things i found useribl actually very usefull, damn shame it wasnt implemented into a correct manner, but pointless to say, its not gonna change Autodesk continue failure into delivering a working mental ray integration and feature wise updates.
Hard wasnt it? a .dll and a .spdl. That would have take 8 months of work to implent right?

Ridicolous

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 11 May 2012, 19:50

It sure is. I suspect the same could be said for progressive rendering, Ptex, Iray etc.