Camera Projection

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
sant0s

Camera Projection

Post by sant0s » 20 Jul 2015, 19:06

Good evening :)

A question about camera_projection:
There is that technique, to project an image on a geometry with a second camera.
But for that I use an image I already have.

Is there a way, to project the output "live"?

Like render Cam_A is aiming on a grid, that gets the image from Cam_B that is aiming on a scene with all kinda materials, lights, etc.

The reason ist, that I have a scene, where I have to combine plane and bended grids and some ICE stuff that works in y axis only. If I would bend it, I get more problems.

Thx so far!
sant0s

FXDude

Re: Camera Projection

Post by FXDude » 20 Jul 2015, 23:34

In the past Iv'e used an MR lightmap on a reflective dome and maped the output somewhere else for a semi-live map (prerendered at render time) other than that I dont think having a live map can be done (I may be wrong though)

NNois

Post by NNois » 21 Jul 2015, 01:18

for this you have to tap on clarisse ifx or houdini (houdini because you can chain renders) clarisse is largely the easy one and this feature is super cool, they do have a video from their early days showing that

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 21 Jul 2015, 09:32

hey dudes :)

okay, to bad... thought that this is probably not possible.

okay, for clarisse I need a stronger gpu I guess, and houdini is a future project. :D

thx guys,
sant0s

edit: oh, thought clarisse is gpu based, I am wrong :)

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 24 Aug 2015, 18:54

Not sure of your needs, but I wonder if Paul Smith's RayCam ICE camera/renderer would help you out.

PS. It's kinda crazy how many times I search for that video for info on ColorAtVertices map / nodelocation ICE node. Thanks, Paul!

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 24 Aug 2015, 23:47

hey :)
last time I watched that video (maybe 2 or 3 yeats ago), I switched it off immeadeatly because I did not understand a second of what he was explaining, hehhee...
This time it made a little more sense and its just fantastic, from the technical background!

I used another solution so no need for that right now.
But I am interested, if there is any artistic/technical way to use that ray tracer.
Some crazy ICE stuff made use of that? ^^