Redshift - pre-purchase questions

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Redshift - pre-purchase questions

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jun 2016, 11:10

Having decided not to jump on the very tempting Houdini Indie bandwagon, mostly because I dread the necessary “learning curve” involved, I came to the conclusion I should invest my money in a Redshift license. But before I do I still have some questions. The current demo version of the software is 1.3.35 (or 1.3.37?) and the two limitations I have found are that there are no toon shaders and Redshift doesn't seem to support volume shaders. I understand I do not have to start holding my breath for toon shaders in Redshift, but volume shaders would be most welcome. Are these part of version 2 of the renderer? And how far along is the development of version 2? Will a stable version be released any time soon?
And finally: what else is “missing” from Redshift that I might have overlooked?
x_x
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

NNois

Re: Redshift - pre-purchase questions

Post by NNois » 03 Jun 2016, 12:15

My 2 cents...

A toon shader can be done with a simple gradient plugged in an incidence shader ;-)
Or better, done by using a full reflection image map (you know the mirror balls) like the matcap_058 here http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 9&start=10 the wonder of this is that's displaying in your softimage HiQuality viewport ;-)

There's absolutly no reason to not jump in

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jun 2016, 12:18

How about ICE volume shading?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 03 Jun 2016, 12:44

I still use the mental ray toon shader - yes you can fake some stuff in RS but its much easier to revert back to MR just for the jobs that require toon stuff.

They're making a lot of progress with volumes in RS but it will still take a while to get to the level of flexibility/functionality that MR had (albeit with custom shaders from Holger). I think we'll see more once people are able to write custom shaders/have access to an API.

Lastly I do miss the range of procedural shaders that were available for MR. Not as much as I thought, but for noise in AO etc it would come in handy to have more options for RS.

NNois

Post by NNois » 03 Jun 2016, 15:24

Redshift Volume rendering is supported on Houdini why it's not in Softimage ??

NNois

Post by NNois » 03 Jun 2016, 15:27

NNois wrote:Redshift Volume rendering is supported on Houdini why it's not in Softimage ??
ok Volume is a 2.0 feature that's why