Cloth true collision

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
Filmguy

Cloth true collision

Post by Filmguy » 14 Aug 2013, 00:27

Hi Guys I'm currently animating a character wearing a single african cloth. The problem is that i still have knees poking through when He bends down although the cloth does behave mostly. Ive tried subdividing the mesh more and more but the knees still seems to find that polygon to poke through. Ive played with envelope sizes but nothing,

Any advice,

SpookyMunky

Re: Cloth true collision

Post by SpookyMunky » 14 Aug 2013, 01:35

I know this is probably bad advice but the way I usually fix this is to extract the polygons from the legs and fatten them out a bit, set render visibility to false then use those as the collision for the cloth. If you leave the extracted mesh operation as is the weighting will work.. to speed it up a bit its prolly best to freeze it then add a gator op, freeze that too. Another way would be to create spheres and deform them to the right shape, then parent to the characters leg bones to use as collision. I guess just remember that your collision object does not have to even remotely resemble the actual character :)

csaez

Re: Cloth true collision

Post by csaez » 14 Aug 2013, 03:52

I would use some hidden cylinders/capsules constrained to the rig as collision objects (you can tweak them and should simulate a lot faster).