Momentum instances don't use instance Materials

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
Pancho

Momentum instances don't use instance Materials

Post by Pancho » 16 Jan 2014, 10:38

I emit three different object with different materials from a mesh. As these need to run through a softbody sim I use Momentum 3 with the MomentumInstancer and MomentumCloth.

Unfortunately all the materials applied to the instanced meshes get lost on the Momentum instances. Only the material applied to the pointcloud_instances (the momentum part, not my instance emitter) is working.

No idea how to fix this! But there must be way?! Doesn't make sense if the material gets lost as soon as you want to have a softbody sim.

Thanks for any help!
Thomas

Pancho

Re: Momentum instances don't use instance Materials

Post by Pancho » 16 Jan 2014, 11:49

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77i7mff1ycj2it0/momentum_glitter_0008.scn

That's the scene file.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 17 Jan 2014, 17:07

Maybe my approach isn't correct. So, let it put me in another way.

How do I use Momentum for Softbody simulation on a steadily growing number of objects falling from the sky? I want these objects to be different in shape and material.

Do I need a single momentum instancer for each shape (mesh)? Or in case I use one emitter (with instances) for all the shapes, how do I set the momentum stuff up, so that the materials get instanced too by Momentum?

Did anybody use this before in such a way? Seems pretty standard and straight forward to me wanting to keep the materials intact.

Cheers

P.S.: No answer from Exocortex I could share here so far.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 17 Jan 2014, 19:12

Hi Pancho,
Sorry for the late reply.
I am a little bit confused by your scene, did you forget to set "Is True" in "the Set Material ID" on strips master models ? First, the ICE materials can be messy itself, for example, "0" ID is reserved for default material which applied globally to the object, without ICE, second, this ICE modeling\shading system is not stable at all and sometimes produces unpredictable glitches, especially when dealing with clusters. Those bugs lies somewhere very deeply ( i mean deep in softimage system dlls according what the debugger says ) and randomly happens so i even unable to catch and reproduce it exactly.
Second, you have color_attribute lookupers on your materials, but set to use the default color instead of picking attribute, however, these nodes are intented to use per vertex attributes, not the per-polygon ( like self.materialID ). I have attached a simple modification on the your ICEtree to use any number of materials by getting softbody isntance ID and applying different materials by this ID.
regards,
Oleg
Attachments
momentum_different_mats.jpg

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 17 Jan 2014, 22:40

Thanks SOOOO much! I altered your approach slightly as the material distribution was kind of random. So each instance is adding its "shape id" to an array. As the particle ID and island ID are connected by the way they get created, the island ID is used to look up the shape ID. Knowing the shape ID can the be used to look up the material ID and voila, the Momentum instance got its texture correct.

No idea though, if the UVs are still working on Momentum instances.

Again, thanks very much!
Thomas
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg