Unable to Install Softimage 2012 from DVD

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
chepmedia

Unable to Install Softimage 2012 from DVD

Post by chepmedia » 13 Jan 2014, 01:56

I got a new computer running Windows 8.1 and dug out my installation disc for Softimage 2012. The installer will not run - neither AutoRun nor manually going down through the folders to the Setup.exe in the Softimage directory on the DVD.

I get the following error message:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

One Autodesk page for MAX suggested repairing installations of all the Microsoft Visual C++ packs (2005, 2008, 2010...) but that did not work.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14095878&linkID=9241177

Other search results mention the sxstrace.exe from the error message but I have to admit I'm a little lost. It says to "run sxstrace.exe from Visual Studio.." but I have no idea what that even is. I typed sxstrace.exe into a Windows Command Prompt but I don't know how to tell it to "watch" the installer DVD for problems as I double click the installer..

Anyone else have this problem and come up with a fix?

Thank you,

Marc

xsisupport

Re: Unable to Install Softimage 2012 from DVD

Post by xsisupport » 13 Jan 2014, 11:58

Maybe Softimage 2012 just doesn't work on Windows 8. It isn't on the supported list.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Jan 2014, 13:00

True, but it is explicitly mentioned on the one provided by Microsoft as being compatible
(which obviously DOESN'T take precedence, I know): Windows Compatibility Center
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

chepmedia

Post by chepmedia » 13 Jan 2014, 13:52

May I ask a different question then:

Show of hands ... how many people have been able to get Softimage 2012 to install and run under Windows 8.1?

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Jan 2014, 16:50

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 13 Jan 2014, 17:02

$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 13 Jan 2014, 17:22

Another possible venue from the Microsoft Help centre:

The steps below resolve the issue by setting the default version of the C run-time libraries to the highest version number you have installed on your computer. To set the default version, you will need to modify the registry.

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

I think Softimage 2012 needs VC10. Check for VC10 and follow these steps for the most recent C++ runtime application by replacing the steps belows from 9 to the most recent C++ runtime library in your system.

Windows 7 and Windows 8

1. Backup the registry before editing.
2. To open the Registry Editor, click the Start button and type “regedit.exe” (without the quotation marks) and press the ENTER key. If you see the User Account Control dialog box appear, click Continue.
3. On the left side, expand the tree structure until you find the registry key that starts with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.crt_".
4. Expand the key above.
5. Below that key, you should see a 9.0 key. Select the 9.0 registry key.
6. In the right pane, make note of the number you see in the Data column for the row where the Name is set to (Default), in case you need to revert to this number later.
7. Look through the list of numbers in the Name column and find the highest number.
8. Double-click the (Default) string value to open the Edit String dialog box.
9. Replace the number in the "Value data" box with the highest number you saw in step #6. Click OK.
10. On the File menu, click Exit to close the Registry Editor.
11. After completing step #9 the issue may be resolved. If you continue to see the same problem, restart the computer. You may also need to follow the steps below to correct the file association error message.

After making this change to the registry you may still see file association error message. To correct that part of the problem, follow the remaining steps:

12. Locate the program executable file. By default, on a 32-bit version of Windows this is located in "C:\Program Files\ folder. On a 64-bit version of Windows this is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder.

13. Rename the faulty program from .exe to .old.

14. Start the installer to create a new version of the .exe program file.
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 13 Jan 2014, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Jan 2014, 17:35

you know, from what you say it's the setup that's not running, not the application itself.
the setup would need 32-bit runtimes from Microsoft, not the x64 ones. And probably older versions, ones that are installed by default on xp and win7. 2015 perhaps, not sure. some debugging help here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive ... 76314.aspx including how to use sxstrace

chepmedia

Post by chepmedia » 14 Jan 2014, 05:25

Luceric had the winning post. "try installing 2012 SP1 directly". I downloaded from the provided link and the installation worked. Softimage 2012 SP1 is up and running like butter.

For others who might encounter this post in the future, I also had already tried the "ChiefArchitect" web page from Daniel Brassard's post. It is actually "the" page I used to re-download all the versions of Visual C++ from Microsoft ... though installation from the DVD still gave me the same error.

I never got so far as to try the registry hack, also from Daniel Brassard, but that was next on my list should the direct download not work.

Luceric - thank you very much. Saved quite the headache.

Marc