3d geometry disappear randomly

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
colour

3d geometry disappear randomly

Post by colour » 24 Jan 2014, 13:53

Hi
I've had this issue in both 2013 and 2014, with totally different characters and objects. I'll be animating and then in certain view ports some parts of my character might start to disappear as I move, rotate or zoom the camera and/or controls. It has the appearance of a clipping issue but it is not. Sometimes it will hide in all view ports except the main camera, and I recently had the issue where the geometry is fine during animation, but when I do a capture, certain geometry doesn't show up in the capture. Sometimes a shut down solves the problem and sometimes not. Sometimes I have to 'extract Polygons - keep' and the new polygons will then be visible. We have three licenses of Softimage and all have similar issues.

Is this something that can be easily solved? Are others having these types of issues?

Thanks

mattmos

Re: 3d geometry disappear randomly

Post by mattmos » 24 Jan 2014, 14:17

I have had random viewport issues using geo from zbrush, but its usually more like the mesh gets scrambled in the viewport instead of vanishing. Have you got any ice trees setting point position data on the meshes? Or just enveloped? Also had some issues with ice trees struggling when parent nulls are moved etc. Generally its down to my own fault though, not freezing off certain parts of the construction stack...

colour

Re: 3d geometry disappear randomly

Post by colour » 24 Jan 2014, 14:41

No these have all been pretty standard, low res, toon type enveloped characters. I've tried everything. A full freeze (useless) and the extract poly worked, but not much else.