.IGS import crash

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
rpmaguire

.IGS import crash

Post by rpmaguire » 24 Jan 2014, 20:37

I have never gotten an .IGES file to import into softimage without the software crashing...
Is there a way around this?

THanks,
Ryan

Mathaeus

Re: .IGS import crash

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Jan 2014, 00:07

It should be some older, simpler version of IGES. I think Rhino still has 'softimage" as IGES type for export. IGES from MOI also works fine. Same applies to EPS, by the way.
But, what you want to do with IGES in SI. While features as trims, imports nicely, I think Mental Ray is only renderer, able to render such things.

rpmaguire

Post by rpmaguire » 25 Jan 2014, 01:44

I have a project that requires importing a .IGS or .STP... I think From catia?

I wanted to apply materials & lighting to this model for rendering in softimage.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jan 2014, 16:59

You could try downloading FreeCAD. They claim to import/export IGES and OBJ both. Do a - hopefully - quick and relatively painless? - conversion there and load the OBJ into Softimage?
(No idea what the quality of the conversion is, but it might just be worth a try).

Other than that: like Mathaeus mentioned the commercial Moment of Inspiration (MOI) springs to mind, if only as a very good converter (or so I hear), although I can't find a good list of the file formats it can handle...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Jan 2014, 23:24

The converter AnyCAD Exchange3D might be worth a shot also...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Jan 2014, 18:33

Hirazi Blue wrote: Other than that: like Mathaeus mentioned the commercial Moment of Inspiration (MOI) springs to mind, if only as a very good converter (or so I hear), although I can't find a good list of the file formats it can handle...
Actually MOI is more focused to own work. For example, it can export obj or another poly mesh format, but can't import them. App itself does not deal with meshes at all, or more exactly, no way to have mesh in view port and do something with it. Mesh is visible before exporting, that's all.
MOI is kind of 'zen' NurBS modeler, with intention to do more, using less tools Imho really nice, powerful and motivating, but not that much for 'misuse' in 'occasional' tasks.

Anyway, as I already said, IGES is traveling nicely between MOI and SI.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Jan 2014, 19:35

I really don't see the "misuse" you're talking about. If the tool imports CAD data and apparently exports obj, lwo & fbx (and IIRC quite well according to reviews long ago) and you're in need of a "one-way" converter badly, well then it might just do the trick. If a washing machine could do that kind of work on the side, I'd use the washing machine, so to speak...
:D