RETIREMENT Q&A

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: RETIREMENT Q&A

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 05 Mar 2014, 00:50

luceric wrote:
IslandDreamer wrote:Sorry I must be dense. Or I am merely incredulous.

If I renew in 2015, will Softimage still work beyond 2016? If I renew again in 2016, will Softimage not work?

EDIT: I'm not taking advantage of any free sidegrades. I'm already an Ultimate subscriber.
Your Softimage 2015 license will technically work forever. But if you're still on subscription in two years and accept upgrading to the 2017 suite, then you agree to not use Sofitmage anymore as part of the contract. This is all based on the honor system, just like the "previous version usage right" you get with subscription, which you agree to give up when you cancel your sub.
Sorry, I don't understand. I have a Maya Entertainment suite Premium, containing Softimage. What exactly happens if I renew my subscription?
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 05 Mar 2014, 00:51

Bellsey wrote:
luceric wrote:
IslandDreamer wrote:Sorry I must be dense. Or I am merely incredulous.

If I renew in 2015, will Softimage still work beyond 2016? If I renew again in 2016, will Softimage not work?

EDIT: I'm not taking advantage of any free sidegrades. I'm already an Ultimate subscriber.
Your Softimage 2015 license will technically work forever. But if you're still on subscription in two years and accept upgrading to the 2017 suite, then you agree to not use Sofitmage anymore as part of the contract. This is all based on the honor system, just like the "previous version usage right" you get with subscription, which you agree to give up when you cancel your sub.
The Ultimate Suite will remain with the same product composition for two years: Softimage 2015 and whatever the latest versions of Max, Maya, Mobu and Mudbox may be during that time period. After two years, Softimage will be removed from the suite.
And then youre not allowed to use it anymore? This is really confusing. Sounds like if I want to use SI forever I should not continue my subscription if I have one and stop using maya. Oh, and Autodesk is selling suites containing a product that is discontinued already? How arrogant are these guys....

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Mar 2014, 01:31

It's completely safe to upgrade to Softimage 2015 or the ECS 2015.

It's the year after that you should, indeed, cancel your subscription in order to keep your perpetual license to Softimage. It's crazy, but I'm just telling you what the facts are. There is one bright spot for Premium Suite: you'll be automatically upgraded to the Ultimate Suite, which you means you get Max. There is no 2015 Premium Suite.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2014, 10:30

Speaking of "previous versions rights": will the "transitional" license at least include those?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 10:41

I am assuming there will be a limit as to how far back you can go( 2011ish I guess) , but I am fairly sure they will allow that.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2014, 10:50

Yes, I think so as well. In these uncertain times it doesn't hurt to ask for some extra confirmation, though.
;)

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 11:10

We unfortunately dont have that option, Cant get any new ARC licences from the 24th of this month. Thats also somewhat irrelevant as we cant offer a course using discontinued software anyway. Even if it wasn't a legal issue, we just wouldn't get any students ;(
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 05 Mar 2014, 11:15

luceric wrote:It's completely safe to upgrade to Softimage 2015 or the ECS 2015.

It's the year after that you should, indeed, cancel your subscription in order to keep your perpetual license to Softimage. It's crazy, but I'm just telling you what the facts are. There is one bright spot for Premium Suite: you'll be automatically upgraded to the Ultimate Suite, which you means you get Max. There is no 2015 Premium Suite.
So, I take the transition route and start using Maya more and more in my work, but still have projects using Softimage up until say 6 months before the end of the transition deal, meaning I really have to keep a copy of Softimage somewhere in my pipeline for tweaks to legacy work / access to old models etc. for at least a few more years after 2016.

What we are being told is, get up to speed in Maya then cancel your subscription to maintain a perpetual copy of Softimage, and then buy a new copy of Maya at full price?

Just when you think Autodesk can't f**k you over any more, they find another orifice!!!

oz42

Post by oz42 » 05 Mar 2014, 17:21

I'm really confused about this.

I am deeply saddened that Autodesk have canned Softimage. However I want to keep on using it, long after 2016. I accept that I will probably have to start learning Maya or Max in the meantime but I definitely still want to keep on using Softimage, even if it's eventually unsupported.

Maurice suggest that in order to keep on using Softimage after 2016 we should stop our subscription before the deadline. The problem is, I am a freelancer and so only have one license. If I side-grade to Maya how do I stop the Softimage subsciption in order to keep using it after 2016 but keep renewing the new Maya subscription??

Surely the better option is to just let us keep on using Softimage after 2016 regardless of the new subscription we're on. It doesn't sound too impossible to achieve.

BenR

Post by BenR » 05 Mar 2014, 17:59

oz42 wrote:I'm really confused about this.

I am deeply saddened that Autodesk have canned Softimage. However I want to keep on using it, long after 2016. I accept that I will probably have to start learning Maya or Max in the meantime but I definitely still want to keep on using Softimage, even if it's eventually unsupported.

Maurice suggest that in order to keep on using Softimage after 2016 we should stop our subscription before the deadline. The problem is, I am a freelancer and so only have one license. If I side-grade to Maya how do I stop the Softimage subsciption in order to keep using it after 2016 but keep renewing the new Maya subscription??

Surely the better option is to just let us keep on using Softimage after 2016 regardless of the new subscription we're on. It doesn't sound too impossible to achieve.
I came here to say almost exactly the same thing. I am also a freelancer with one license. If a client comes to me and says "Remember that project we worked on for 3 months in 2013? Well we need you to make some changes and add a couple of new animations." Obviously I have to be able to access the scenes from that project. So my understanding is that when I move to a transitional license for both Softimage and Maya, that license will cover both applications for the first 2 years, and only Maya if subscription is maintained after that. So given my need to access old Softimage assets, I will have to discontinue subscription and keep Softimage 2015 and the latest Maya I receive. Then if I want to continue with Maya I will have to get a new license for $3k. Maurice Patel said on the list that the reason for this was Autodesk's "revenue accounting guidelines". Now, I Am Not An Accountant. And I know that accountants can be strict and demanding. But it seems to me that Autodesk could find a way around this. If they wanted to.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 05 Mar 2014, 18:03

BenR wrote:
oz42 wrote:I'm really confused about this.

I came here to say almost exactly the same thing. I am also a freelancer with one license. If a client comes to me and says "Remember that project we worked on for 3 months in 2013? Well we need you to make some changes and add a couple of new animations." Obviously I have to be able to access the scenes from that project. So my understanding is that when I move to a transitional license for both Softimage and Maya, that license will cover both applications for the first 2 years, and only Maya if subscription is maintained after that. So given my need to access old Softimage assets, I will have to discontinue subscription and keep Softimage 2015 and the latest Maya I receive. Then if I want to continue with Maya I will have to get a new license for $3k. Maurice Patel said on the list that the reason for this was Autodesk's "revenue accounting guidelines". Now, I Am Not An Accountant. And I know that accountants can be strict and demanding. But it seems to me that Autodesk could find a way around this. If they wanted to.
If it's a case of having to enter a 'sale' into a spreadsheet column, surely they could do it for a nominal sum like $10!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 06 Mar 2014, 01:32

luceric wrote:It's completely safe to upgrade to Softimage 2015 or the ECS 2015.

This is by far the most idiotic thing someone can come up with. You get two apps I don't want, pay a higher subscription fee (I guess, for ultimate) and lose the right to use XSI? That is incredible stupid. You don't keep customers this way. AD has completly lost it. Instead of adding XSI to all packages for free like the other apps they ruined or ditched, they manage to piss off everyone even more? Dumb. The dumbest thing ever. It looks like AD doesn't only want to get rid of SI but of it's user as well.

I swear I'm gonna be as honorable as Autodesk presented itself to us.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 22 Mar 2014, 19:53

Why would any of you stay with Autodesk after this BS? Do you really want to keep giving them your money? There's other software besides Maya and MAX.

Autodesk is never going to stop doing what they do if you keep supporting them with your money.

luceric

Post by luceric » 22 Mar 2014, 20:43

The discussion above is now wrong, you get to keep your license of Softimage forever, even on subscription. I recommend doing something like lock the topic to not confuse other people
Last edited by luceric on 24 Jul 2019, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

adrencg

Post by adrencg » 24 Jul 2019, 14:04

has anyone recently changed computer gear and reactivated Softimage on the Autodesk site? I was able to do it a couple of years ago. Before I wipe everything I want to make sure I'll still be able to generate a license file.

If not..is anyone using a cracked version? It wouldn't be outside of ethical bounds to do that since Autodesk killed the product. I haven't migrated fully yet to another software and I have old projects always coming up for changes. I still need Softimage.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Jul 2019, 14:38

Do you have a network license? If so: look here... (creating your own "dongle"!)
If you are using a 2010 version or older of Softimage I'd advise you to hurry.
AD stops issuing licenses for that generation at the end of August.
But if it's a more recent version, registeronce should still work until March 2021...