Fixer ICE compound problem

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
gaboraa

Fixer ICE compound problem

Post by gaboraa » 04 Jan 2017, 17:20

Hey guys!

I am trying to create an Ice compound for a more interactive version of Pin object into position constraint because I don't want to use constraints when I need to fix IK controllers on place for I have to bake all the animation on the controller when finished and that screw up the keys.

Compound works so far only if the fixer controller is selected otherwise it doesn't work and I really wonder if it is about some sort of ICE limitation or is there a problem with the node flow. I am not a coder nor have a technical background so it is very likely I made a mistake within the compound.

Anyways, it is much appreciated if someone can tell me what's going on?
Attachments
Fix_Controlers.xsicompound
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
fixer_compound.PNG
fixer_viewport.PNG

Mathaeus

Re: Fixer ICE compound problem

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Jan 2017, 23:36

Just about blending, generally you don't want matrices to blend directly by linear interpolate node. Matrix should be decomposed to SRT, then each component is supposed to blend separately, rotation by quaternion interpolate, rest can go by plain linear interp. What you have, should blend like morphing deformation, if there is rotation of 180 degree between poses, midpoint have zero length or scale.
Anyway it seems there's something else that makes this behavior. What happens if you set animation keys, or some expression. Perhaps there's just an usual lazy evaluation of IK chain, who refuses to activate IK if there is no any animation .

gaboraa

Re: Fixer ICE compound problem

Post by gaboraa » 05 Jan 2017, 13:47

Thanks for the input!
Actually if there are no keys on IK controller and fixer gets executed, I cannot set keys until disconnecting the compound. If there are animations on IK controller, it works just fine. Actually compound is OK as it is and I can work with that but what I don't understand is that why the need to select fixer to update IK's world position. Anyways I'll break the Matrix into SRT as you suggested and try to see if that solves the problem.