sending data to other software/ writing to file

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
druitre

sending data to other software/ writing to file

Post by druitre » 14 Jan 2013, 16:50

Hi,

I posted the other day in another thread about something that may be better off in it's own thread so here it is:

I own software that can read csv files and send the data to designated ports on a usb breakout box. It's intended for custom made motion control rigs. So I can animate my camera in SI, plot the motion, export that as a xml file (forgot exactly how I did it) with x,y,z positions and rotations, one line per frame, load that in the moco-software and recreate the cameramove on my rig that way.

So, would it be possible to make a plugin (or ICEcompound) that reads the x,y,z pos&rot for input object (in my case, the camera) at current frame, and outputs that to a designated output device - in other words, to the moco software? That way one could hook up a moco rig live to a SI scene.

Perhaps I'm dreaming, I know for sure that I have no idea about how this connection between SI and the moco-software should work or how one even calls that type of inter-software communication. Any and all suggestions welcome though!

Another option could be to have the plugin/compound output the data to a file - add a line to a .txt, for instance. As said, I have done this through xml for a whole timeline but not without some difficulties (it still needed a lot of copy/paste/replace to get it in a suitable format).

thanks, Jasper

Bullit

Re: sending data to other software/ writing to file

Post by Bullit » 14 Jan 2013, 17:10

I think there are some stuff in Vimeo and Youtube concerning Softimage and Hardware

csaez

Re: sending data to other software/ writing to file

Post by csaez » 14 Jan 2013, 17:56

If you are looking for a live connection you can use a TCP server, there's an example in the SDK workgroup.
There's also a nice TCPServer addon from Thomas Mansecal, you can find it on rray.de :)