quickPrimitive

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickPrimitive v0.93Author: Piotrek Marczak
Updated September 2012 to support light primitives, new preference options. Following the popular QuickInset modeling tool (listed below), Pitorek releases this new custom tool, allowing the user to draw primitives interactively.

This can be done using a number of preset objects (pickable from a radial array), and using a variety of placement/creation options such as on on surface/on scene grid, along curve, align along X/Y/Z axis, create UV projections, snapping, merge etc.

A video introduction is available here. See the si-community thread linked below for more details.

local backup: quickprimitive_093.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
bottleofram

Re: quickPrimitive

Post by bottleofram » 02 Mar 2012, 14:53

So, just to make sure, more manageable numbers are out of the question? Ideally, length of whatever is needed to fill the volume and than scaling adjusted slightly.

Or at least the length of 1:
pic.png
(on the right is what is currently produced)

Toonafish

Post by Toonafish » 19 Mar 2012, 17:21

Ha, brilliant !! Thanks for the update. Especially the Wacom fix is appreciated.

crude

Post by crude » 24 Mar 2012, 01:12

Cool auto UV's :ymapplause:

Thanks for the wacom fix !

origin

Post by origin » 25 Apr 2012, 21:12

hi, I will update plugin within 2 weeks with two little things, keeping a box scale at 1 and 2) preference for default tool work scope. Anybody got any request let me know.
Also anyone found tool useful? Im thinking about adding light creation code to it.
bottleofram wrote:So, just to make sure, more manageable numbers are out of the question? Ideally, length of whatever is needed to fill the volume and than scaling adjusted slightly.

Or at least the length of 1:
pic.png
(on the right is what is currently produced)

rray

Post by rray » 25 Apr 2012, 21:21

Just an idea, auto add nulls to group would be cool. Having that group in a get data node you could do all sort of things dynamically in ICE.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 25 Apr 2012, 23:00

origin wrote:Also anyone found tool useful?
Yes indeed, it is quite useful. One suggestion might be with snapping. Now, when I make a cube with grid snapping turned on, the first 2 dimensions snap fine but the third does not. I don't know if this is fixable or not but it would be nice.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to create primitives by dragging corner to corner rather than center out. Not sure if that's a major undertaking or not.

Thanks for the great tool!

Cheers!

origin

Post by origin » 26 Apr 2012, 13:13

rray wrote:Just an idea, auto add nulls to group would be cool. Having that group in a get data node you could do all sort of things dynamically in ICE.
no problem. But where to put such option, in preferences?

origin

Post by origin » 26 Apr 2012, 13:17

ActionArt wrote:
Yes indeed, it is quite useful. One suggestion might be with snapping. Now, when I make a cube with grid snapping turned on, the first 2 dimensions snap fine but the third does not. I don't know if this is fixable or not but it would be nice.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to create primitives by dragging corner to corner rather than center out. Not sure if that's a major undertaking or not.

Cheers!
hi, ill check snapping but afaik it was working okay here
right now corner to corner is available in box and grid only (hold shift before creating prim)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 26 Apr 2012, 16:09

origin wrote:
ActionArt wrote:

Cheers!
hi, ill check snapping but afaik it was working okay here
right now corner to corner is available in box and grid only (hold shift before creating prim)
Oh, didn't even notice that! That's the ones I wanted anyway so don't worry about that request. I'll check snapping some more, maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.

omidkurd

Post by omidkurd » 28 Apr 2012, 17:23

hello
Quick primitve is work on :
Softimage 2010
Softimage 2011
Softimage 2012
Softimage 2013

i use 32 bit

rray

Post by rray » 28 Apr 2012, 18:19

origin wrote:
rray wrote:Just an idea, auto add nulls to group would be cool. Having that group in a get data node you could do all sort of things dynamically in ICE.
no problem. But where to put such option, in preferences?
Tricky one )) Doesn't fit anywhere else so I would say yes.. Ask for a default name for the group in prefs and then maybe with an additional "group" viewport button you could toggle grouping on or off for created objects.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

origin

Post by origin » 29 Apr 2012, 20:38

OK!
Got another idea, but not sure if it work. I know commands can return data but I dont know how to do it so,
how about when tool exits, it sets global data, a comma separated string of names of created primitives, so with scripting you could do whatever you want with those objects.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 04 May 2012, 18:17

Right now, if I have grid snapping on, go to make a cube, draw in the top view, it snaps fine to x and z but when I use the right button to do the z direction, it snaps but a bit short. The size in the z direction reads 99 instead of 100.

Something is just a bit off on the snap.

[rimg=200]http://www.creativecontrol.ca/send/forumstuff/Snap.jpg[/rimg]

origin

Post by origin » 08 May 2012, 20:57

Thanks,
I will check it out.

druitre

Post by druitre » 09 May 2012, 14:09

Hi Piotrek,

two suggestions/requests:

- a 'snap to center of element' button. For placing stuff exactly on center of polys or midway between two verts.
- tooltips, similar to your other plugins, and the lower bar with a short mouseclick explanation.

thanks, Jasper

Rork

Post by Rork » 13 Jul 2012, 11:56

Hi Piotrek,

I love this little tool, but have a small question.

Is there a way to have the cube length set to 1, instead of 0,01 and have silly scale numbers ;)
Or a preference to set this? I use 1 or 10 a lot for archviz.

thanks! :-bd

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!