quickPrimitive

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickPrimitive v0.93Author: Piotrek Marczak
Updated September 2012 to support light primitives, new preference options. Following the popular QuickInset modeling tool (listed below), Pitorek releases this new custom tool, allowing the user to draw primitives interactively.

This can be done using a number of preset objects (pickable from a radial array), and using a variety of placement/creation options such as on on surface/on scene grid, along curve, align along X/Y/Z axis, create UV projections, snapping, merge etc.

A video introduction is available here. See the si-community thread linked below for more details.

local backup: quickprimitive_093.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Memag

Re: quickPrimitive

Post by Memag » 15 Feb 2012, 10:38

Toonafish wrote:Great tool. Thank you very much !

A thing I noticed is that it works perfectly with a mouse, but with a Wacom holding the RMB to define the height doesn't seem to work very well. Even though I hold the RMB on the wacom pen, I can't seem to drag the height as far a I need, it stops almost immediately after clicking the RMB.

Has anyone else with a wacom noticed this ?
Yes ,well you have to RMB (on stylus) while you keep your stylus pressed down (like LMB) , and then drag. If you lift it up , it ends the height operation (as if you released LMB).
Just try not to lift it from the pad until you're done. Works the same way as mouse, but it's not so comfortable combo (press[LMB] + RMB + drag) on wacom.

origin

Post by origin » 15 Feb 2012, 11:16

Hi, it's unwanted behaviour, I will change that (you won't have to hold lmb while height adjusting)

knekke

Post by knekke » 15 Feb 2012, 13:47

Would it be possible to do a linux-version, or is it too much tied to windows-stuff?

This looks too great for not being able to use it :/

bmcpherson

Post by bmcpherson » 15 Feb 2012, 14:41

Faster than tweak eh? ;)

Just curious are you using the pickbuffer support in the tool SDK for fast highlighting or something else?
--
Brent

origin

Post by origin » 15 Feb 2012, 15:24

knekke wrote:Would it be possible to do a linux-version, or is it too much tied to windows-stuff?

This looks too great for not being able to use it :/
I don't have linux here, I can share source code If you can compile it. I think I'm not using any windows-specific functions
bmcpherson wrote: Faster than tweak eh? ;)

Just curious are you using the pickbuffer support in the tool SDK for fast highlighting or something else?
I'm using pick from tools sdk, never tried pickbuffer. I just slow down stuff in mouse move event, I think tweak tool is suffering from same thing:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2099

I dont know why it works, but it works.

knekke

Post by knekke » 15 Feb 2012, 15:34

I don't have linux here, I can share source code If you can compile it. I think I'm not using any windows-specific functions
My girlfriend is out of town over the weekend, so I am allowed to sit in front of a computer in my freetime :ymparty: . Hopefully that is enough to figure out how to do it. So if you are ok with sharing the code I would give it a try.

thx,
Thomas

Memag

Post by Memag » 15 Feb 2012, 15:36

Piotrek , sometimes J,K,L commands don't work.Seems like it's not always overriding initial/global key commands.
Instead they call "modify projection" etc, whatever was bound to that particular key.
I did try different component selection filters, with objects selected, with nothing selected...and can't figure why is it doing that.

But then it suddenly responds to J,K,L commands.
I noticed that after making a primitive and orbiting the view.

origin

Post by origin » 15 Feb 2012, 16:19

Yeah I noticed it too, in all my tools. I will look into this, but there is a chance it's not fixable (im doing it by the manual, registering shortcut when tool becames active...)

Memag

Post by Memag » 15 Feb 2012, 16:21

No problem Piotrek, it's awesome as it is now.

bmcpherson

Post by bmcpherson » 15 Feb 2012, 16:52

origin wrote: I'm using pick from tools sdk, never tried pickbuffer. I just slow down stuff in mouse move event, I think tweak tool is suffering from same thing:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2099

I dont know why it works, but it works.
Interesting. That makes sense to me.

When you are just moving the mouse (no buttons pressed) redraw events are handled asynchronously. This is a property of the underlying window system and most windowing systems will also try to merge multiple redraws together and give higher priority to things like mouse input to preserve interactivity.

So, if you have situation where you are doing picking on a mouse move event (which takes time) and you are generating a steady stream of new redraw events then you might have a situation where 1) outstanding redraw events are getting bumped to the end of the queue (as they are merged with new ones) and 2) new mouse events cut to the front of the line because they are higher priority. ;-)

So your throttling solution makes sense because it does not incur the picking overhead on each mouse move. (so on average mouse moves are processed faster) also you have less redraw events so it is more likely they will get processed before the next redraw comes in.
--
Brent

origin

Post by origin » 16 Feb 2012, 00:20

Thanks Brent for explanation
bottleofram wrote:I have a question: how does it decide on what length to snap when holding ctrl?

I figured if you drag on the grid diagonally it will snap on grid points (pic1). Sometimes it has this .999 value which i assume is indefinite 9's problem, but other than that, it works. What would be brilliant is if you could snap the length on objects points or edges (pic2). With circular objects it seems to work, but not with the cube.
thanks, already fixed that, so It's behaving correctly like grid prim.
That 0.9999 is display glitch I believe. If you check prim ppg, it will show correct value.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 16 Feb 2012, 07:04

Not sure how significant this is, but heres another strangeness:

Aligning seems off on the points that lie on the edges (here selected) where end and start of the revolving mesh meet.

crude

Post by crude » 16 Feb 2012, 09:48

Toonafish wrote:Great tool. Thank you very much !

A thing I noticed is that it works perfectly with a mouse, but with a Wacom holding the RMB to define the height doesn't seem to work very well. Even though I hold the RMB on the wacom pen, I can't seem to drag the height as far a I need, it stops almost immediately after clicking the RMB.

Has anyone else with a wacom noticed this ?
Same problem with my wacom here.

rray

Post by rray » 16 Feb 2012, 10:23

Late again but thanks for that great tool.

I started working on a click-and-drag tool for nulls, (each null has a local "transform setup " property for that tool ... rotating, translating, both, local XY, global YZ, view space etc... Nulls could be hidden and control icons only show up when the tool is active...)
Probably won't happen as I have no time for it, but I'll just drop the idea here in case someone would like to pick it up.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

origin

Post by origin » 16 Feb 2012, 10:24

bottleofram wrote:Not sure how significant this is, but heres another strangeness:

Aligning seems off on the points that lie on the edges (here selected) where end and start of the revolving mesh meet.
When it comes to aligning to polymeshes It's always abit of wild guess. I'm using 'magic formula' for local frame axes taken from sdk helpfile.
If you pick that vertex on cylinder/sphere/... and activate local axis, you will see that (in this case) 1 vertex is off...

Memag

Post by Memag » 16 Feb 2012, 11:40

rray wrote:Late again but thanks for that great tool.

I started working on a click-and-drag tool for nulls, (each null has a local "transform setup " property for that tool ... rotating, translating, both, local XY, global YZ, view space etc... Nulls could be hidden and control icons only show up when the tool is active...)
Probably won't happen as I have no time for it, but I'll just drop the idea here in case someone would like to pick it up.
That's a great idea, something like Messiah armatures (or Transform Setup 2).

[wmv]http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/vids/Armatures_A.wmv[/wmv] [wmv]http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/vids/Armatures_B.wmv[/wmv]

Animators and riggers would love it, too bad you can't accomplish it.
Maybe SI development team could chime in?