quickPrimitive

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickPrimitive v0.93Author: Piotrek Marczak
Updated September 2012 to support light primitives, new preference options. Following the popular QuickInset modeling tool (listed below), Pitorek releases this new custom tool, allowing the user to draw primitives interactively.

This can be done using a number of preset objects (pickable from a radial array), and using a variety of placement/creation options such as on on surface/on scene grid, along curve, align along X/Y/Z axis, create UV projections, snapping, merge etc.

A video introduction is available here. See the si-community thread linked below for more details.

local backup: quickprimitive_093.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
sant0s

Re: quickPrimitive

Post by sant0s » 14 Feb 2012, 21:13

thx a lot, great plugin! :)

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 14 Feb 2012, 21:19

Thanks a lot

It works perfectly, wonderfull tool you have made :-bd :-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 14 Feb 2012, 21:46

origin wrote:
ActionArt wrote:One thing I noticed, even with no snapping activated, it seems to snap to points on other objects. That's great most of the time but perhaps a way to deactivate snapping completely when desired.
by other objects you mean 'not selected'?
Yes. For me it snaps to points on unselected objects when snapping is not active.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 14 Feb 2012, 21:58

Autodesk hire this guy damn it!!!!
- H -

origin

Post by origin » 14 Feb 2012, 22:04

ActionArt wrote:
origin wrote:
ActionArt wrote:One thing I noticed, even with no snapping activated, it seems to snap to points on other objects. That's great most of the time but perhaps a way to deactivate snapping completely when desired.
by other objects you mean 'not selected'?
Yes. For me it snaps to points on unselected objects when snapping is not active.
I see. Right now tool's scope is the scene (so everything). I was thinking about adding 3 more little buttons (work on: grid | selected objects | scene)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 14 Feb 2012, 22:13

I see. Right now tool's scope is the scene (so everything). I was thinking about adding 3 more little buttons (work on: grid | selected objects | scene)
That would be perfect.

Leo

Post by Leo » 15 Feb 2012, 00:57

We need this in every installation of softimage. This is beyond useful!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 15 Feb 2012, 04:14

I have a question: how does it decide on what length to snap when holding ctrl?

I figured if you drag on the grid diagonally it will snap on grid points (pic1). Sometimes it has this .999 value which i assume is indefinite 9's problem, but other than that, it works. What would be brilliant is if you could snap the length on objects points or edges (pic2). With circular objects it seems to work, but not with the cube.

eternal art

Post by eternal art » 15 Feb 2012, 10:13

Amazing tool , thank you for sharing .
3D Supervisor - Production House .

Toonafish

Post by Toonafish » 15 Feb 2012, 10:27

Great tool. Thank you very much !

A thing I noticed is that it works perfectly with a mouse, but with a Wacom holding the RMB to define the height doesn't seem to work very well. Even though I hold the RMB on the wacom pen, I can't seem to drag the height as far a I need, it stops almost immediately after clicking the RMB.

Has anyone else with a wacom noticed this ?

Memag

Post by Memag » 15 Feb 2012, 10:38

Toonafish wrote:Great tool. Thank you very much !

A thing I noticed is that it works perfectly with a mouse, but with a Wacom holding the RMB to define the height doesn't seem to work very well. Even though I hold the RMB on the wacom pen, I can't seem to drag the height as far a I need, it stops almost immediately after clicking the RMB.

Has anyone else with a wacom noticed this ?
Yes ,well you have to RMB (on stylus) while you keep your stylus pressed down (like LMB) , and then drag. If you lift it up , it ends the height operation (as if you released LMB).
Just try not to lift it from the pad until you're done. Works the same way as mouse, but it's not so comfortable combo (press[LMB] + RMB + drag) on wacom.

origin

Post by origin » 15 Feb 2012, 11:16

Hi, it's unwanted behaviour, I will change that (you won't have to hold lmb while height adjusting)

knekke

Post by knekke » 15 Feb 2012, 13:47

Would it be possible to do a linux-version, or is it too much tied to windows-stuff?

This looks too great for not being able to use it :/

bmcpherson

Post by bmcpherson » 15 Feb 2012, 14:41

Faster than tweak eh? ;)

Just curious are you using the pickbuffer support in the tool SDK for fast highlighting or something else?
--
Brent

origin

Post by origin » 15 Feb 2012, 15:24

knekke wrote:Would it be possible to do a linux-version, or is it too much tied to windows-stuff?

This looks too great for not being able to use it :/
I don't have linux here, I can share source code If you can compile it. I think I'm not using any windows-specific functions
bmcpherson wrote: Faster than tweak eh? ;)

Just curious are you using the pickbuffer support in the tool SDK for fast highlighting or something else?
I'm using pick from tools sdk, never tried pickbuffer. I just slow down stuff in mouse move event, I think tweak tool is suffering from same thing:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2099

I dont know why it works, but it works.

knekke

Post by knekke » 15 Feb 2012, 15:34

I don't have linux here, I can share source code If you can compile it. I think I'm not using any windows-specific functions
My girlfriend is out of town over the weekend, so I am allowed to sit in front of a computer in my freetime :ymparty: . Hopefully that is enough to figure out how to do it. So if you are ok with sharing the code I would give it a try.

thx,
Thomas