quickPrimitive

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

QuickPrimitive v0.93Author: Piotrek Marczak
Updated September 2012 to support light primitives, new preference options. Following the popular QuickInset modeling tool (listed below), Pitorek releases this new custom tool, allowing the user to draw primitives interactively.

This can be done using a number of preset objects (pickable from a radial array), and using a variety of placement/creation options such as on on surface/on scene grid, along curve, align along X/Y/Z axis, create UV projections, snapping, merge etc.

A video introduction is available here. See the si-community thread linked below for more details.

local backup: quickprimitive_093.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
origin

Re: quickPrimitive

Post by origin » 16 Feb 2012, 00:20

Thanks Brent for explanation
bottleofram wrote:I have a question: how does it decide on what length to snap when holding ctrl?

I figured if you drag on the grid diagonally it will snap on grid points (pic1). Sometimes it has this .999 value which i assume is indefinite 9's problem, but other than that, it works. What would be brilliant is if you could snap the length on objects points or edges (pic2). With circular objects it seems to work, but not with the cube.
thanks, already fixed that, so It's behaving correctly like grid prim.
That 0.9999 is display glitch I believe. If you check prim ppg, it will show correct value.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 16 Feb 2012, 07:04

Not sure how significant this is, but heres another strangeness:

Aligning seems off on the points that lie on the edges (here selected) where end and start of the revolving mesh meet.

crude

Post by crude » 16 Feb 2012, 09:48

Toonafish wrote:Great tool. Thank you very much !

A thing I noticed is that it works perfectly with a mouse, but with a Wacom holding the RMB to define the height doesn't seem to work very well. Even though I hold the RMB on the wacom pen, I can't seem to drag the height as far a I need, it stops almost immediately after clicking the RMB.

Has anyone else with a wacom noticed this ?
Same problem with my wacom here.

rray

Post by rray » 16 Feb 2012, 10:23

Late again but thanks for that great tool.

I started working on a click-and-drag tool for nulls, (each null has a local "transform setup " property for that tool ... rotating, translating, both, local XY, global YZ, view space etc... Nulls could be hidden and control icons only show up when the tool is active...)
Probably won't happen as I have no time for it, but I'll just drop the idea here in case someone would like to pick it up.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

origin

Post by origin » 16 Feb 2012, 10:24

bottleofram wrote:Not sure how significant this is, but heres another strangeness:

Aligning seems off on the points that lie on the edges (here selected) where end and start of the revolving mesh meet.
When it comes to aligning to polymeshes It's always abit of wild guess. I'm using 'magic formula' for local frame axes taken from sdk helpfile.
If you pick that vertex on cylinder/sphere/... and activate local axis, you will see that (in this case) 1 vertex is off...

Memag

Post by Memag » 16 Feb 2012, 11:40

rray wrote:Late again but thanks for that great tool.

I started working on a click-and-drag tool for nulls, (each null has a local "transform setup " property for that tool ... rotating, translating, both, local XY, global YZ, view space etc... Nulls could be hidden and control icons only show up when the tool is active...)
Probably won't happen as I have no time for it, but I'll just drop the idea here in case someone would like to pick it up.
That's a great idea, something like Messiah armatures (or Transform Setup 2).

[wmv]http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/vids/Armatures_A.wmv[/wmv] [wmv]http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/vids/Armatures_B.wmv[/wmv]

Animators and riggers would love it, too bad you can't accomplish it.
Maybe SI development team could chime in?

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 16 Feb 2012, 11:57

Exceptional tool! Love it and thanks a lot! :ymapplause:
seems cannot assign shortcut for it...

origin

Post by origin » 16 Feb 2012, 17:04

Nizar wrote:Exceptional tool! Love it and thanks a lot! :ymapplause:
seems cannot assign shortcut for it...
its called pmQuickPrimitive in custom script commands

d-e-a-n

Post by d-e-a-n » 20 Feb 2012, 08:53

GREAT tool, thanks for sharing!

A really nice addition would be to have the possibility to select a "custom" primitive. This way we would have something similar to the "bolts painter" (don't know the exact name) plugins for max, which are really useful.

Just an idea.

origin

Post by origin » 20 Feb 2012, 20:36

Well, thats a job for another plugin ;)

rray

Post by rray » 20 Feb 2012, 20:49

Recently tried this.. I created a pointcloud with an ICE tree that spawned its points using the SRTs of a group of nulls.

Gave the points an instance shape, could draw nulls using quickPrimitive, add them to the group, making them instances immediately.

This sort of does something like d-e-a-n meant, but what would be really cool if the nulls could be created directly inside the group. Then (I suppose) it would be possible to draw the instances interactively.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

d-e-a-n

Post by d-e-a-n » 20 Feb 2012, 23:32

Well, thats a job for another plugin ;)
yeah right, "quickObjectPainter". :D
Recently tried this.. I created a pointcloud with an ICE tree that spawned its points using the SRTs of a group of nulls.

Gave the points an instance shape, could draw nulls using quickPrimitive, add them to the group, making them instances immediately.

This sort of does something like d-e-a-n meant, but what would be really cool if the nulls could be created directly inside the group. Then (I suppose) it would be possible to draw the instances interactively.
good thought rray, maybe worth a try.

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 25 Feb 2012, 03:04

This tool's even better than the last. Thanks again!

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 25 Feb 2012, 03:37

Does the pmQuickPrimitive command have a return argument for the class of primitive that was just drawn? I'd like to add support for this command to my plugin here: http://blog.blackredking.org/?p=184. Otherwise it'd be cool to allow interactive adjustment of subdivs after the primitive has initially been drawn.

origin

Post by origin » 25 Feb 2012, 04:20

no, it doesn't return such info
but I've added custom preferences just for that
as for interactive subdivs adj. I still thinking what would be a best way to do this. Maybe si-style value sliders next to primitive.

list of changes made so far
ADD: Add preferences for subdivions, plane helper size, axes size
ADD: cube primitive now uses scale x,y,z (free drawing like grid)
ADD: Tool Scope buttons grid/selected/scene
FIX: Cube prim with calcs wrong length
FIX: losing hotkeys
FIX: repeat last primitive /undo issue, subd. issue/
FIX: RMB not affected by LMB (height adjustments) /Wacom issue/
FIX: accurate snapping for height /cube, cylinder,cone/
FIX: subdivison surfaces raycast bug
FIX: drawing on grid without snapping
FIX: dont change mouse poisition on RMB /Wacom issue/

origin

Post by origin » 29 Feb 2012, 14:32

Hi, I've edited first post with new version! Please report bugs ;)