Soft Transform

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Soft TransformAuthor: Piotrek Marczak
AKA its full name Screen Space Proportional Object Transform. This tool works similar to the built-in Proportional Transform Tool, but operates on objects instead of on points. Features as listed in the si-community thread:

TAB switches modes translate/rotate/scale (like in tweak tool) l/m/r mouse button for t/r/s (like in view space transform tool) .Rot. and scale is temporary, after releasing m/r button, tool switches to translate mode fcurve falloff from Move Proportional tool R hotkey for size change (like tweak tool) auto key handling for animation distance is measured to object's pivot point lock transformation to selected objects fancy buttons basic collisions (raw triangle mesh vs swept bounding sphere)

video demo / video demo (updated version) . Source available here. More details inside the si-community thread.

local backup: SoftTransform_x64_v11.xsiaddon

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Memag

Re: Soft Transform

Post by Memag » 01 May 2012, 21:01

I used R + mouse left click and drag (and it works fine), is it supposed to work without the mouse click?

origin

Post by origin » 01 May 2012, 21:06

Nope, It should work only with r+drag (like tweak tool). Pressing (and/or releasing) R without LMB should do nothing.

bottle, one more thing. Do you by a chance use some non-standard qwerty keyboard? What's your system language?

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 01 May 2012, 23:00

Ok, i tried with a fresh user folder, same thing but I have a better idea how to repro now:

1. map the pmSoftTransform command to a key (problem does not occur when the tool is invoked by a menu item)
2. select an object
3. press the key to call up the tool
4. do not orbit the camera or do anything else just press R immediately after

Soft will reset the camera. At least thats whats happening here. If you do orbit the cam first, no problem.

Softimage 2012SAP 64bit,
regular qwerty keyboard,
English system language

EDIT: tried on 2013 and it works fine
Last edited by bottleofram on 01 May 2012, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 01 May 2012, 23:07

As usual, fantastic addon Piotrek!
Thank you very much for sharing this.
- H -

origin

Post by origin » 02 May 2012, 00:41

bottleofram wrote:Ok, i tried with a fresh user folder, same thing but I have a better idea how to repro now:

1. map the pmSoftTransform command to a key (problem does not occur when the tool is invoked by a menu item)
2. select an object
3. press the key to call up the tool
4. do not orbit the camera or do anything else just press R immediately after

Soft will reset the camera. At least thats whats happening here. If you do orbit the cam first, no problem.

Softimage 2012SAP 64bit,
regular qwerty keyboard,
English system language

EDIT: tried on 2013 and it works fine
Thanks, I can reproduce it. Really weird. I know the reason...but I think its SI bug (tool doesn't invoke Activate method when you...activate it). Hotkeys are not assigned and tool description doesn't show up on the bottom.
Anyway, already fixed... So it's okay in 2013?

druitre

Post by druitre » 02 May 2012, 10:47

origin wrote:
druitre wrote:Hi Origin,

I get a screenspace problem, or what should I call it. Small mouse or wacompen movements give big translations/rotations/scales, collisions take place far away from surfaces, or don't occur at all. I have a dual monitor setup, could it be the plugin is mapping both monitors as one screen? Or is it a Wacom problem?

Jasper
Do you use some custom layout? Can you share it?
Im also on dual screen, 30" + 27" + wacom, tried all built-in layouts, works okay
I have a 24HD Cintiq as primary and a 24" + Wacom as secondary, on a GTX 460.
I'll try and switch around a bit to see if that changes anything.

[edit] Partially fixed: I switched the monitorcables around to a more standard setup (my 2nd input was set to primary) and now translate and rotate respond normally. Although I don't get any response on 'scale'. Everything else works, strange.

Question:
Is it intentional that any selected objects are ignored by the plugin? This confuses me, I would expect the logic to be inverse - select what you want to be affected (and if you don't select anything affect everything)

origin

Post by origin » 08 May 2012, 21:02

I don't have access to cintiq so it's a bit hard for me to debug the stuff you describe. Do any of other plugins I've uploaded work for you (quick prim/ quick extrude?), and maybe xsi build-it new Add Smooth Edge loop tool (its build on top of custom tool sdk Im using)?

Yes selection is intentional (for collision checking). You can invert this behaviour in preferences

druitre

Post by druitre » 09 May 2012, 13:43

Hi,

I've switched things around so now my 24" is primary and the Cintiq is secondary. All your plugins look to be working correctly now (hooray!), only one small thing that is off:
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot003.jpg
(moved the cursor slightly up in the second pic, the screencap doesn't grab the crosshairs but they're still there)
This happens only in userview, all other views I can place primitive anywhere in view. In userview upper 10% or so the quickprimitive cursor disappears.

About the preferences: cool, I didn't know they were there. Switched unmovable to movable, that works better to my logic. I also noticed before that collision seemed to be always off (bounding box too big), I set it to 63% in the preferences and that looks much better.

What I can still say about the multimonitor setup and XSI is that it's the only software that persists in opening across both screens when maximized - no other programs do this and it's $%$#! annoying.

origin

Post by origin » 09 May 2012, 13:50

Good to hear! It's probably because cursor is above line of horizon (not on grid anymore)

druitre

Post by druitre » 09 May 2012, 14:20

Yes, I checked and you're right. In cameraview the same. It means a primitive is always created either on zero-plane or on other topology?

mjd3d

Post by mjd3d » 13 Jul 2012, 14:40

thanks for the source code! But I see you used the Windows SDK 7.1, I have tried to Setup it on my computer but I could not, and it appears to me the following message :

""A problem occurred while installing selected Windows SDK components.

Installation of the “Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7″ product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information.

Please attempt to resolve the problem and then start Windows SDK setup again. If you continue to have problems with this issue, please visit the SDK team support page at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=130245.

Click the View Log button to review the installation log.

To exit, click Finish. ""

Have you experienced this problem? , Analyzed, and how?

Please note that the computerized system is 64-bit.

Thanx

origin

Post by origin » 13 Jul 2012, 19:41

Sorry I don't know what that means.
AFAIK If you own full visual studio (not express) you can compile without 7.1 sdk.
One thing I learned that installing service pack 1 will break VS.
There is also microsoft tool for cleaning your windows from visual studio/net stuff, so you can start over with clean installation

mjd3d

Post by mjd3d » 20 Jul 2012, 10:17

hi

There is a small problem in this plugin
If the Objects within the tree, the plugin is not able to put the keyframes of the Objects when moving

thanx

origin

Post by origin » 10 Aug 2012, 19:11

mjd3d wrote:hi

There is a small problem in this plugin
If the Objects within the tree, the plugin is not able to put the keyframes of the Objects when moving

thanx
Hi, I fixed this bug and added falloff bias to the brush (like tweak tool, shift+r). Updated first post with new version.
Attachments
falloffbias_st.jpg

Memag

Post by Memag » 10 Aug 2012, 20:21

Thanks!

origin

Post by origin » 10 Aug 2012, 20:38

yep 64 bit only