node for reading files [request]

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: node for reading files [request]

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Nov 2012, 13:35

clankill3r wrote:How would you imagine the custom ppg to look like?
Well based on the assumption that the PPG Logic to ICE Compounds can be abused to a certain extent (see iamVFX's thread "Select Polygons Interactive" for inspiration - although that's something "completely" different), my idea (but I haven't been able to test this) would be, that in case of the first list you mention (the one with only one type of value) you could possible create PPG Logic for an ICE Compound that feeds the list to a custom attribute. To prevent repeating this over and over again you'd have to build in a condition that if the attribute already exists the PPG Logic gets ignored.
Or something like that.. :-s

I can't test this right now, however, as I am sick... :ymsick:
But maybe the idea can help you a little...

PS - The list with mixed typed values should be possible also,
but would probably be a lot harder to set up
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 08 Jan 2013, 23:16

Hi, did you ever manage to get this working or has anyone attempted to make the compound(s)?
I just saw this thread and I have a request that is related - at least, I think it is - to what Rray says about also making a 'write'node.

I own software that can read csv files and send the data to designated ports on a usb breakout box. It's intended for custom made motion control rigs. So I can animate my camera in SI, plot the motion, export that as a xml file (forgot exactly how I did it but it wasn't too difficult) with x,y,z positions and rotations, one line per frame, load that in the moco-software and recreate the cameramove on my rig that way.

So, would it be possible to make a compound that reads the x,y,z pos&rot for input object (in my case, the camera) at current frame, and outputs that to a designated output device - in other words, to the moco software? That way one could hook up a moco rig live to a SI scene.

Perhaps I'm dreaming, I know for sure that I have no idea about how this connection between SI and the moco-software should work or how one even calls that type of inter-software communication. Any and all suggestions welcome though!

clankill3r

Post by clankill3r » 08 Jan 2013, 23:52

I can't program in python, just a bit in JScript, and there was something with arrays not possible with jscript.
So no, the node is still not there. I still hope someone wants to do it cause it would be a nice add on to softimage.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jan 2013, 10:57

Just to clarify my position: I would have been happy to try to pursue this at the time, but like I wrote in my previous post, I fell ill and wasn't really able to concentrate on this (for a couple of days). As you didn't reply whatsoever then I didn't feel you were still interested in my attempt to do so. I went to do other things and find it strange you now state "the node is still not there".
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 09 Jan 2013, 15:18

Hirazi, should I perhaps open a new thread on this? I don't really know wether it's related to OP's request or if I'm hijacking.

Moderator edit: I don't see it as a hijack, so no reason to force a new thread, but in your own interest to "highlight" your idea better, a new thread might be best - HB