XSI Launcher

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
angus_davidson

XSI Launcher

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Apr 2013, 10:57

Okay Just got tired of the issue of not being able to pin XSI to the start bar so I created a small application. XSI Bounce

Just copy it into the Appplication/bin folder. It shouldn't matter what version of XSI you are using.

All it does is check to see if XSI.bat is there and if it is run the batch file. It will then quit. On fast machines you probably won't even notice it opening.

That way you can easily pin something to the Start Bar / Task bar.

You can get it from http://db.tt/EG3p9Ihb

TODO. 1) Get a decent Icon, Currently just generic application Icon
2) Test to see if it works with network licensing

Kind regards
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: XSI Launcher

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Apr 2013, 11:05

I haven't checked this myself, but wouldn't the method described here by luceric be easier?
:-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Apr 2013, 11:23

Hirazi Blue wrote:I haven't checked this myself, but wouldn't the method described here by luceric be easier?
:-\
Lucerics method works for the task bar. The launcher works for both start and the taskbar and allows you to just right click and select the pin option you want. There have always been workarounds, however the reason this discussion comes up again and again is because folks just want the right click option.
--
Wits University

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 17 Apr 2013, 11:25

Oh boy oh boy a chance for me to pimp my tumblr:

http://cgreminders.tumblr.com/post/4192 ... ng-that-to
But what if you want to pin this to the taskbar? Because Win 7 does not allow pinning of batch scripts to the taskbar, what you have to do is make a shortcut lauching this batchscript through the command line, like so (place the following in your shortcut target):

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /C “C:\whereever\the_batch_script_above.bat”

Then you can change the icon for that shortcut and pin it to the taskbar.
As a general rule, this is what you do whenever you want to pin a batch script to the taskbar.
replace the target with your xsi.bat file. DONE

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Apr 2013, 11:38

thats useful to know. not just for SI either. Would work nicely for setting up batch files for renders too ;)
--
Wits University

luceric

Post by luceric » 17 Apr 2013, 16:02

angus_davidson wrote:Lucerics method works for the task bar. The launcher works for both start and the taskbar and allows you to just right click and select the pin option you want. There have always been workarounds, however the reason this discussion comes up again and again is because folks just want the right click option.
The "pin" right-click option on the taskbar for running Softimage isn't going to work. By not working, I mean it's going to pin "xsi.exe" and not run xsi.bat. If you have a network setup and don't need any of the environment variables, you may not notice that it doesn't work because running xsi.exe directly works for you anyway.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Apr 2013, 18:16

luceric wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:Lucerics method works for the task bar. The launcher works for both start and the taskbar and allows you to just right click and select the pin option you want. There have always been workarounds, however the reason this discussion comes up again and again is because folks just want the right click option.
The "pin" right-click option on the taskbar for running Softimage isn't going to work. By not working, I mean it's going to pin "xsi.exe" and not run xsi.bat. If you have a network setup and don't need any of the environment variables, you may not notice that it doesn't work because running xsi.exe directly works for you anyway.
Hi Luceric

I am not looking to pin the xsi.exe process. All its doing is allowing folks to be able to start xsi in another less annoying way
--
Wits University