Andy Nicholas' "Replace ICE String"

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Andy Nicholas' "Replace ICE String"

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Oct 2010, 22:30

Andy Nicholas presents a handy tool for working with ICE:
The Replace ICE String tool lets you effortlessly change attribute names in your ICE trees. This is often a common yet error prone task when tidying up compounds for release, due to long forgotten attributes hidden in the depths of other compounds.
Read all about (and get) it here: Replace ICE String

It's a Python plugin, not an ICE compound or anything, but as it's closely related to ICE, I thought I'd better post it here.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pancho

Re: Andy Nicholas' "Replace ICE String"

Post by Pancho » 22 Sep 2011, 16:21

Hi Andy, does it work in 2012? I do have problems to get all entries get changed. It only works if I am inside a compound with the stuff which would get changed anyways. Unfortunately it doesn't change anything else in the other compounds. Is there something I'm doing wrong.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Sep 2011, 16:47

Seems to work here just fine. The only thing to note is that you need to start the plugin
while your on the top-most level you want to be affected (as far as I can tell).

P.S. I don't know if Andy Nicholas even visits this community... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 22 Sep 2011, 17:55

Scope of Replacement

It’s important to note that the search/replace is recursive. It will always drill down into all compounds beneath the inital viewing location in the tree.

When you launch the tool from the menu, it stores the current location of the ICE Tree Editor in the entry called “Ice Tree” (at the top of the dialog). This is where the tool will perform the search and replace. This means that if you view the root of the ICE Tree and run the tool, it will operate on the entire tree. If you are inside a compound, it will only run on the nodes contained in that compound.

If you view a different tree or use another ICE Tree editor, the Replace ICE String tool will not recognise you’ve changed what you’re looking at and will still operate on the original selection, so be careful! To change the location, just open a new Replace ICE String tool dialog from the ICE Tree Editor.
Quoited from http://www.andynicholas.com/?p=1096

Handy little tool. The only problem that i fount with it is the preview doesnt work on set data nodes.