Add point and emit location

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho

Add point and emit location

Post by Pancho » 28 Mar 2014, 09:33

I do have a small mesh close to my master mesh. The small mesh is more or less constrained to the surface of the master mesh. I use it as a reference for a particle emission. Each vertex of the small mesh is a position for the particle emission. Small mesh > pointPosition > Get closest location (on master mesh) > add point.

This works without a problem. But as soon as I try to use the emitLocation to get a value on the weight map of the master object the weight map turns red and the particle can't pick up its value of the weight map. I need to use a get closest location again to get it. Is there a workaround? If I use the regular particle emission, the weight map works again.

Any idea?

Mathaeus

Re: Add point and emit location

Post by Mathaeus » 28 Mar 2014, 10:29

Theoretically (I'm not in front of SI now), wouldn't hurt to try something like
small mesh > get point position > Add point . In next row:
get self.pointposition> get closest location on big mesh> set self.EmitLocation

Won't be first time for me, to see that get closest location or raycast , used before add point, returns something inconsistent ( at least for my mind). While ago, had setup for hair emission, which used raycast, having an array of positions for input, together with careful setup for removing the 'empty' hits - but these empty, removed hits still had influence, as an infinite bounding box of point cloud. Enough for MR shadow maps to go into nowhere, and who knows what else.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Mar 2014, 10:43

Not sure, but might it have something to do with this little caveat in the User's Guide?
However, note that if positions instead of locations are connected to Add Point, as is the case for Emit from Null and Emit from Position, then this attribute is meaningless.
(Quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 28 Mar 2014, 11:17

Hirazi Blue wrote:Not sure, but might it have something to do with this little caveat in the User's Guide?
However, note that if positions instead of locations are connected to Add Point, as is the case for Emit from Null and Emit from Position, then this attribute is meaningless.
(Quoted from here)
well it's not that simple. Get Closest Location, as name says, returns the location, and that location nicely fits into add point, generating the green connection (instead of yellow, as plain position) - but sometimes, does not produces the same as Generate sample set, Point location or UV to location.
So, my small suggestion is to avoid 'Get Closest' thing before Add Point, instead to introduce it later as 'writer' of Emit Location. Emit Location writable ( at least this is reliable if it is set for first time, not so sure for override)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 28 Mar 2014, 12:42

Seems to be working now! Thanks a lot!