Access Instance Object Attributes

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Vines Autorig ScriptAuthor: Fabricio Chamon
from vimeo.com/254565390: Had to do lots of growing vines on a recent project, so I wrote this handy script that generates a branching-aware rig form arbitrary curves, with parameters to animate growth and other stuff. It also populates information on the source curves, like: curveID, parentID, branch level, path to root, etc. so that it can be manipulated inside an ICE Tree to generate all sorts of fx. (still wip. needs some manual work to get the branches properly connected)

install: extract the zip file into your Softimage project. from your script editor, load the vines_rig.js inside your "Scripts" folder, it should be ready to use. if you are not using a project, then change the "compoundsPath" variable (line 5) to point to an absolute path.

run: create some curves, it should be created as CVs. select all > run. rig will be created (don't try huge number of curves, it will be slow!) play with the user inputs inside the script if you want to (the first 5 lines). The variable "createLeaves" will add a point cloud in your scene, where you can pick a leaf instance group inside the main compound. there you also can set start/end time for leaves to grow. there is one main control for all animations inside the model, and each curve has its own "Info" parameters for offset and other stuff (you can also access through ICE).

download: Vines_Rig_Script.zip
Redshift Proxy Animation ControlAuthor: Fabricio Chamon
This script overcomes the current limitation of redshift not having proper support for time shifted instances on Softimage.

Have a look at Fabricio's video Redshift - Proxy animation control script for Softimage for usage details.

local backup:Redshift_Proxy_Animation_Control_Script.js

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
oktawu

Access Instance Object Attributes

Post by oktawu » 03 Apr 2017, 10:38

Hello all,

I would like to know if it is possible to access an instanced object attributes / deformers / modifiers, other than the ones showing up in the get data node.
To explain myself better, i will give you a quick example. Say i have a cylinder with a bend deformer on it, that is instanced in an ICE pointcloud.
I want to access the deformer and randomize some values, so that each instance will have a different bend angle.
So far, i haven't found a way to do that.

Is this even possible in ice?

Thanks.

Draise

Re: Access Instance Object Attributes

Post by Draise » 03 Apr 2017, 15:47

Good question. I'd love to know if this is possible too!

rray

Post by rray » 03 Apr 2017, 17:32

Instances just show the output mesh of the instance master, they don't have a construction history of their own. It's limiting, but it's also why you can have millions of them.

There's a workaround that might or might not work for you. You can set the point in time for each instance separately using an ICE point attribute. So say you have an bend left animations on frames 1-10, and a bend backward animation on frames 11-20 on your master, you could use this to control what animation is shown on each instance.

Also you can instance from a group and pick the object index in the group using a different point attribute - that also gives you back a bit more control.

For full access to the contruction history, you'll need duplicates. What also could work is to use ICE modeling to build a single mesh out of the instances, and then deform that using ICE. Involves a bit of picking apart the indiviual instances though. Modulo of point ID might work for that.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

NNois

Post by NNois » 04 Apr 2017, 08:56

Hi, to follow the rray answer on picking a frame from an animation.
Don't forget to pick an integer frames on your instance master, to get multiple instance with exactly the same frame.
In the other case you may completely get out of memory...

Draise

Post by Draise » 04 Apr 2017, 14:01

Group instancing with the array sounds like the easiest one to me.

Though I am extremely interested in the Animation offset. How do you do that?

oktawu

Post by oktawu » 04 Apr 2017, 14:24

I believe that is only possible with arnold. Redshift unfortunately does not support instance time offsets.
The xsi viewport updates correctly, but the instance animation is reset at rendertime.

NNois

Post by NNois » 05 Apr 2017, 09:40

It's possible with the "shape instance time" ice attribute. by default this follow the curent time so if your master is animated the instance are animated. but you can modify that or freeze it etc...
So in your case you can pick a particular frame for each instances

oktawu

Post by oktawu » 05 Apr 2017, 10:46

From the redshift devs themselves: :"Unfortunately, Redshift does not currently support instancing of meshes with deforming animations using the ‘Set Particle Instance Animation Time’ node. Basically Redshift cannot currently have different instances of the same mesh sampled at different points in time if the mesh’s geometry is changing. ‘Set Particle Instance Animation Time’ will work with animated transformations, but not deformations. It’s on our TODO list to fix." - BTW , it's been like that for 3 years now, and since xsi got discontinued, there are almost zero chances that this will ever get solved.

PS. Just ran quick test, using the set particle instance time node. In the viewport everything works. At rendertime it's broken.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 05 Apr 2017, 12:51

as a Highly inefficient workaround, you can cache the object, duplicate it multiple times, and offset the cache on each one to make a bunch of animated meshes with different start times.
Then put those in a group and ICE instance the group.
Effectively then you can swap between them on your ice tree to the same visual effect as offsetting the animation.

NNois

Post by NNois » 07 Apr 2017, 12:04

but forget about motion blur...
That's exactly why personnaly I give up quickly Softimage when i saw how well motion blur is working on Houdini, the trail SOP, the packed primitives...
Pooby wrote:as a Highly inefficient workaround, you can cache the object, duplicate it multiple times, and offset the cache on each one to make a bunch of animated meshes with different start times.
Then put those in a group and ICE instance the group.
Effectively then you can swap between them on your ice tree to the same visual effect as offsetting the animation.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 09 Apr 2017, 17:49

I always forget about motion blur as I do it in post

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Apr 2017, 03:04

oktawu wrote:From the redshift devs themselves: :"Unfortunately, Redshift does not currently support instancing of meshes with deforming animations using the ‘Set Particle Instance Animation Time’ node. Basically Redshift cannot currently have different instances of the same mesh sampled at different points in time if the mesh’s geometry is changing. ‘Set Particle Instance Animation Time’ will work with animated transformations, but not deformations. It’s on our TODO list to fix." - BTW , it's been like that for 3 years now, and since xsi got discontinued, there are almost zero chances that this will ever get solved.

PS. Just ran quick test, using the set particle instance time node. In the viewport everything works. At rendertime it's broken.
Hi,

Perhaps also this may be of help?
(Script is in vimeo description)

Redshift - Proxy animation control script for Softimage

from Fabricio Chamon
https://vimeo.com/208992822

( post eol user support from/for users :p )

rray

Post by rray » 10 Apr 2017, 14:45

great find
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024