It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Set Polygon/Edge Position
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 19:37 

So simple, so fast, so useful, I don't know, guys. I thought it was the most hardest problem - ice contexts, and now your turn to believe to K.I.S.S. power - just look at the nodes number, it's ridiculous :D

Attachments:
SetPolygonEdgePosition.1.1.rar [7.13 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times

Last edited by iamVFX on 25 May 2012, 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Set Polygon/Edge Position
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 20:25 

Was it exported with 2013? If so, It seems 2013 is the first release to break icecompound backward compatibility
// WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : BuildArrayFromSetNode

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 20:43 

Yes, it was. Sorry, I should mention that it was exported from SI 2013 since Build Array from Set was changed in that lazy piece of shit. If you can screen snap the compounds or if you have both of the Softimage versions (2012 and 2013) and you can remake them for 2012 and share with us I would be very appreciated (I have no 2012 version and my screen resolution on this machine is too low to make a full screenshot -_- )

Last edited by iamVFX on 22 May 2012, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 20:53 

I'm so angry right now, fucking Autodesk ruined the moment of sharing with you guys, now you'll have to think how the nodes was connected

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 21:13 

I just realized that all the compounds that I made since the release date of SI 2013 will not work in 2012. I'm off

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 22:15 

The Build Array From Set used by Softimage 2012 is a custom node, not multi-threaded and with less types (no array of topology or locations allowed).
The Build Array from Set in Softimage 2013 is a new factory node who is supporting those features.

I guess you could make your compounds compatible for 2012 using a text editor and doing a search and replace in all your compounds from 2013.
But in this case, the compounds loaded in 2013 would use the old Build Array From Set. So doing two versions would be better.

I understand it can be annoying, but giving a new name to the factory version was not the final choice (for various reasons I can't remember now :-) ).

Cheers,
Guillaume Laforge

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 22:44 

guillaume wrote:
The Build Array From Set used by Softimage 2012 is a custom node, not multi-threaded and with less types (no array of topology or locations allowed).
The Build Array from Set in Softimage 2013 is a new factory node who is supporting those features.

I guess you could make your compounds compatible for 2012 using a text editor and doing a search and replace in all your compounds from 2013.
But in this case, the compounds loaded in 2013 would use the old Build Array From Set. So doing two versions would be better.

I understand it can be annoying, but giving a new name to the factory version was not the final choice (for various reasons I can't remember now :-) ).

Cheers,
Guillaume Laforge

Guil, you can say whatever you want about two versions of compounds and other unnecessary things that I can do with it.

The end user will not get the compounds for his older version of the software, and I will not force him to buy overpriced and unstable upgrade for it.

Build Array from Set worked perfect, multi-threading will not make difference comparing to amount of data that flow in ICE trees in one repeat loop just because most of the ICE topo nodes are not allow you to input per component data, because of another bug locations are not allowed, so all that changes were ill-considered in every-fucking-single way.

Sometimes it's just fine to say "We're screwed". Because that way there is a chance that you'll not make same mistakes again.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 23:20 
Administrator

iamVFX wrote:
I'm so angry right now, fucking Autodesk ruined the moment of sharing with you guys, now you'll have to think how the nodes was connected

iamVFX wrote:
I just realized that all the compounds that I made since the release date of SI 2013 will not work in 2012. I'm off

But then again, there are plenty of users who did upgrade to Softimage 2013
and your compounds work for them (so definitively not all of your work was in vain...)

Time to K.I.S.S and make up, maybe... :ymhug:

guillaume wrote:
for various reasons I can't remember now :-)

Perhaps not the most convincing explanation, I'm afraid...
;)

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 23:39 

iamVFX wrote:
Guil, you can say whatever you want about two versions of compounds and other unnecessary things that I can do with it.

The end user will not get the compounds for his older version of the software, and I will not force him to buy overpriced and unstable upgrade for it.

Build Array from Set worked perfect, multi-threading will not make difference comparing to amount of data that flow in ICE trees in one repeat loop just because most of the ICE topo nodes are not allow you to input per component data, because of another bug locations are not allowed, so all that changes were ill-considered in every-fucking-single way.

Sometimes it's just fine to say "We're screwed". Because that way there is a chance that you'll not make same mistakes again.

iamVFX,

My name is Guillaume, not Guil.

Multi-threading can do a huge difference. Not for topology arrays maybe. I don't know as I never use it extensively and you are better than me for sure.

I'm not speaking with the Autodesk flag so I won't say "We" and I'm not the author of the 2013 Build Array From Set (I was the one for 2012 btw) so I won't say "I'm screwed" either.

(Always tricky to try to help someone without getting comments like this...)

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 09:26 

Comment like this called objective truth, someone is messed up, it's not your fault, I get it, sorry, but you better shouldn't post or noting someone's mistake giving it as a feature. Lack of backward capability of such an often used compound is mistake that not respect the main feature of ICE and its community - simplicity in making and sharing with each other.

Now I have to devote the entire day to remake compounds for SI 2012 users because I respect their choice not move to software that which does not cause them confidence. That's for what my quality standard stands for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next