Set Polygon/Edge Position

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Set Polygon/Edge Position

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 May 2012, 23:23

Thanks for sharing... :ymhug:
(and lets move on, no permanent damage done as far as I'm concerned!)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 26 May 2012, 05:03

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing with the community. Please continue to release tools!
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 08 Jun 2012, 20:38

Guillaume wrote:The only way is to use a repeat node.
Stephen wrote:You can’t get different extrusion lengths for different polygons without using the Repeat node.
[rimg=960]http://xsisupport.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/vlcsnap-2011-09-22-21h16m03s191.png[/rimg]
Last edited by iamVFX on 13 Oct 2012, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

guillaume

Post by guillaume » 09 Jun 2012, 15:00

Does it work if you want more subdivisions per extrusions or if you want to extrude per group of polygons instead of per polygon ?

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 10 Jun 2012, 03:59

It is possible. But I use my own extrusion compounds for this, it gives me more control over the subdivision and inset parameters. Example above should give you a clue how to make it by yourself.

[rimg=300]http://screensnapr.com/e/u1mMk7.png[/rimg]

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 06 Aug 2012, 18:56

oh this!

am trying (and failing) to change the size of a polygon based upon its original area and an extrusion length that changes over time. I've completely missed this thread and see Constantine has made / added / improved the topo nodes. :ymhug: Ive got and installed them on 2012 SP1 (thank you) and now trying to figure out how to make the Islands extrude node from the screenshot iamVFX showed above.

see my example pic explaining what Im trying to achieve. what happens currently is on the left, what I would really like to happen is on the right - if the extrude length is small then I want to shrink the area of the polygon if the extrusion length is big I want to grow the polygon area size.

At the moment I do not have a single clue how to do this with the Topo nodes provided as my topo context jumping skills are non existent - well I can randomly select polygons to extrude now at least. (thanks to Mr S. Blair)

As there is no (default) polygon position and the attribute that could have helped polygonArea is read only! - it look's like iamVFX's ProceduralTopoPack can help me achieve this, just trying right now to figure out how his 'Islands Extrude' node is made by copying the tree above this. but he does mention making his own extrusion node to take into account further subdivisions - any help or pointers are appreciated
Attachments
extrude_length.jpg
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 01:35

The key idea here is that I chose the path of temporary destroying data of the topology*. All things that you have to save (clusters, for example) depends on polygon indices, so I convert them into arrays and store them in custom attributes. After the topology manipulations I apply data back by the most awesome underestimated node of all time "Find in Array", that can do unbelievable things if array's size matches the size of per component's data, look here for example: viewtopic.php?p=19395#p19395

*Because it'll be destroyed no matter what, most of the ice topology operations changes the order of indices.

Here those compounds, I don't need them now, I was making sure that someone will be interested in having them.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 03:07

iamVFX, thanks! for sticking around and also sending the island extrude compounds. but when I connect these to a simple grid with a cluster like in your pic they are red, I need to define this.PolygonIslandIndex and this.__PolygonIslandData beforehand somehow? in your example you have a cluster - which I have in my grid and have isElement connected but there has to be another step I'm missing defining these extra attributes. Do I need to make them from Find in Array node like you mentioned?
Attachments
init_islands_red.jpg

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 03:14

There is "Elements to Island Index" compound that you should put into a user folder and refresh compounds list. Copy the log and post it here if it's not related to this error, since I can't install Softimage. Ever again.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 03:28

I put all the compounds in the user Compounds folder under a folder called ProceduralTopoPack and refreshed the compounds list before trying to use them , they are installed and are available in the compounds list. including the recent .rar which has "element to Island index.xsicompound "

just checked my logs though and yes

' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not find node : Create Polygon Island Index
' WARNING : 3000-EDIT-AddICECompoundNode - Could not set value on [Create Polygon Island Index 13].Reference

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 03:34

It's a compound from Guillaume's Polygons Particles addon. Everyone should install it, since it's neat

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 03:40

how ironic! :)

yes this was a vanilla 2013 SP1 install with no workgroups. Node is now purple - thanks - after a restart with this missing compound it works, shall continue to explore this jigsaw puzzle that is ICE topology. I can actually see a way of figuring out what I wanted to achieve originally now - whereas without the functionality these nodes provide and the hints you gave with find in array I had no clue, so you have helped at least me out with these compounds !

shame that pioneers like yourself have moved away from Softimage :( Did you say why you cannot touch Softimage anymore already in another thread?

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 04:07

If only that would happen and I could continue work in this direction, knowing that everyone will get the compounds no matter what version of software they have. But since it's only feature of unstable 2013 release I will not force people to use it if they don't want to, they have already paid for the ICE modeling feature already, I respect their choice to stay on the version that they have. That's why I spent an extra week to make topo pack compatible with SI 2012. Treat man as an intelligent person and you will be rewarded.

Look at this guy, he realized his mistakes and apologized for them in front of a crowd. What a smart man.
Last edited by iamVFX on 07 Aug 2012, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 04:31

I am confused :) is this because of one compound not updated correctly (build array from set) from 2012 > 2013 or are you annoyed because there is now a fundamental difference in the way ICE compounds can be shared? Im not so sure about the latter proposition as I had that problem with a missing build array compound in 2012SP1 with some other shared ICE modelling related stuff on the SI list and it was fixed and pretty quickly. So I don't see or understand this being an issue or am I missing something?

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 07 Aug 2012, 04:36

Tekano wrote:I am confused :) is this because of one compound not updated correctly (build array from set) from 2012 > 2013 or are you annoyed because there is now a fundamental difference in the way ICE compounds can be shared?
Exactly. It's not fixed yet and will never be. ICE compatibility is officially broken, next up: how to commercialize free-to-share system! Stay tuned, folks!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 07 Aug 2012, 11:00

Well whomever is to monetize the ICE compounds it won't be Autodesk management, they don't appear to know the difference between ICE and 'scripts'. Honestly I don't believe this to be happening Constantine , because:-

a) they can't squeeze anymore money than they already have out of our insignificant Softimage user base .
b) Like I said its easily enough fixed and has been by re-connecting the missing (version) of compound, OK AD have not done that in a public press release but Support has explained the issue and how to deal with it.
c) there has been much bigger bugs and fuckups in the past, they didnt accept responsibility or apologise then nor will they ever. :D this is the nature of multi million lines of code software dev - shit happens

Also the original author of the newer version of compound is on here and the SI-List to help even though he's been led to a much posher paddock. Personally I would rather he be around and assist than hold a grudge and ignore. I really don't see a trend happening to make ICE compounds version specific. but, who knows, given some of the ludicrous decisions made on behalf of Softimage by AD then perhaps you will be right and it will be thier next step in the saga. cue dramatic music