Kristinka Hair 2.0

Mathaeus

Kristinka Hair 2.0

Post by Mathaeus » 31 Jul 2010, 21:20

Hi all,

there is a version 2.0. For what's new, there is a (really short) change log at the end of post. Beside that, a few additional notes:

- This version has a lot of nested compounds, so this time, compounds definitively needs to be 'installed' - they should reside in folder that Softimage recognizes on load. As usually, kH compounds will create own task, called 'k Hair2', and won't interfere with the rest of ICE stuff, in any way. Sample models will still works just by importing.

- From 'visual' enhancements, probably the first noticeable is a transparency on strands, together with gradient driven by turbulence. Also, default distribution for hair emitters is a proportionally randomized, diagonal grid - for now, random effect isn't so wild. Old random, distribution is still available.

- Setup with Strand Dynamics Framework (the one from movie at start of this thread)...... isn't there, anymore. This was a very, very 'conditional' setup, with a very low chance to survive revisions. But, there is a setup that utilizes the strand extrusions created by Helge Mathee's strand addon. Basically, setup will stick the strands back to frozen meshes. That allows a lot of new possibilities: styling strands by using the standard mesh tools, simulating the mesh with Syflex or SICloth. Also it's possible to use modifiers, such as Bend and Curls, *after* sticking to mesh, blend back to original shape... and render all that with motion blur - setup will take a few more attributes, than just positions.

- And finally, there is a description of all important nodes, in one huge HTML file.

Downloads:

Softimage sample models, ICE compounds, docs
Online docs

Cheers

------------------------------------------------

Short change log for version 2.0

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

- Fixed issue with 'filler' point cloud, that some strands disappear in rendering, when point positions on filler cloud were too close to guides.
- kH Subdivide Strands is about ten times faster in interaction. Now it uses a different way for curve creation.
- kH Cross Sections is re-written from scratch. Now it will adapt automatically to used NURBS surfaces. Added option for filtering, by using another NURBS surface.
- kH Follow NURBS has a new way for using the alternative strand array. Also, now it's able 'extend' it's influence outside of Y(V) of surface.
- kH Follow Curves is re-written from scratch. Also it has a new interface for connections.
- kH Offset Curves node has a few new options (align profile to tangent, clump effect), also a new interface for connections.
- kH Curls has additional, 'roll' option for rotating a whole deformation, along strand tangent. Also it can invert the basic deformation.
- All emitters have built-in grid type emission. Old, random emission is still available. There is unique interface for both emission types.
- kH Point Color is able to display alpha (transparent strands) in view ports.
- kH Bend is re-written from scratch, now it's possible to use multiple kH Bend nodes, one after another, or together with other modifiers.
- 'Point Dynamics' is simplified, should be much more accurate in conversion from point to strand movement.
- Numerous other improvements.

NEW NODES

- kH Strand Tips: combined node for creating random deformations on hair tips.
- kH Splay Fur
- kH Strand Screen Size In SI Units
- kH Follow NURBS m(ultiple)
- kH Stick To Strand Extrusion

rray

Re: Kristinka Hair 2.0

Post by rray » 01 Aug 2010, 10:26

Yes ^:)^ Thanks Anto, looks intriguing, hope I get a chance to look at it soon.
Automatic splitting - nice! This will make the package more accessible for newcomers.
Also other update looks very thoughtful. One thing I noticed, I didn't see the Follow 2 NURBS in the new version. Has this been replaced by Follow NURBS m?
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Aug 2010, 10:59

Hi,

thanks for attention

Follow NURBS multiple is just for reducing the clutter in ICE tree, it actually repeats the same settings, using a new NURBS surface for each iteration.

'Standard' Follow NURBS has a part of functionality of Follow 2 NURBS - it can use two inputs, but the flow is still just a scaling of surface normal, instead of interpolation between two surfaces. I'll see today, if there is a sense to add functionality of '2' to 'standard' one, or to built a separate node.

Cheers

rray

Post by rray » 01 Aug 2010, 11:17

Thanks for considering! I used it because it was possible to directly create the overall shape of the hairstyle. Btw, I've written this very simple node a few months ago that moves strand points toward to/away from the strand root point in a direct line, according to a strand fCurve. Feel free to do with it whatever you like, I found it somewhat useful for a few styles. Probably the effect can be achieved with other nodes.

Strangely, right now I can find no any traces anywhere of the Follow 2 NURBS compound even in older versions o_O. I don't know where I even got it from. :ymblushing:

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Aug 2010, 21:56

Hi,

here is a separated Follow 2 NURBS, that fit into kH2 nodes. Probably is better idea to create a separate compound, 'original' one is designed to use the first NURBS only as a 'catcher' for closest points. BTW node needs a few of nested compounds that are already in distribution.

Maybe it's interesting maybe it's not, the first design of this node was a 'wip' in image. Even this seems to be most 'logical', I never got it to work properly with highly curved emitters. Behavior of node became more and more stylized... For tiny layers of hair, interpolation between two NURBS (instead of just using normals of one NURBS),seems to be a small problem, both NURBS need to be tweaked. Not easy to get aligned curls or bending.

There is no kH2 node that does exactly the same as 'in And Out', fur nodes have a scaling of whole strand, but it's not exactly the same behavior.

rray

Post by rray » 03 Aug 2010, 00:01

The "Shaping Nurbs" method is also very cool, but it's good to have a choice now, thank you for that! Gonna make some more tests, learning the new nodes.
Maybe make the long overdue tutorial I told I would make :^o
I should be more careful with what I announce :-ss

izze

Post by izze » 06 Aug 2010, 16:19

Fantastic, I am starting a new hair project today. Your tools helped a ton in my LAST PROJECT

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Aug 2010, 16:31

That "LAST PROJECT" looks great, BTW.
Wouldn't you like to present it as a "Finished Work"
and elaborate a bit on its creation? ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

izze

Post by izze » 06 Aug 2010, 16:51

Well thanks, Hirazi. I will put together some information and try to post it today. After I finish playing with K2.0 :)

izze

Post by izze » 06 Aug 2010, 17:58

I have a little question. I don't understand the Cross Sections node. I like how the strands go from emitter, nurb a, nurb b, nurb c, etc. But why do the strands cross over each other between emitter and nurb a? I guess I just don't understand why "hair" would do that. Can the strands go straight from emitter to nurb a,b,c? As they do from nurb a, to b, in your cross sections model?

Thanks Anto.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 06 Aug 2010, 19:45

Hi,

UV of emitter (PointUV from emit location) is re-mapped to UV of 'cross-section'. To line them up, basically there are two options:

- to add some NURBS surface, close to emitter ('close' means very close, I doing that by shrink-wrapping) , and plug this one in 'filtering NURBS' port. In this case, UV of emitter is replaced by 'filtering NURBS'.

- to model 'cross-section', in a way that all UVs (emitter, all 'cross-sections'), are lining up - that includes UV boundaries too. You can get that by repeating the 'swap UV' (in model> modify > srfmesh ), and inverting normals - some of solutions should match. You can see them by enabling 'NURBS boundaries' in view port. Or just to use copies of emitter - you can 'fit' copies later to get low count of points for tweaking, topology doesn't matter, here.

Cross Sections is actually first styling node I've created, almost two years ago.

Cheers

shushens

Post by shushens » 14 Aug 2010, 20:13

Fascinating! Now I feel like a loser, asking for help on hair everytime but never actually doing it.
Can I propose a newbie thread for those who want to make great hair (like izze did) but have no concrete idea how to go about it step by step?
I am saying this because a lot of stupid questions will be asked there (some of them definitely by myself).
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Aug 2010, 02:02

Well instead of kH nodes, I would start with something more generic. Let's say, for modeling part, try to figure out how exactly works the standard XSI 'Deform by surface' operator. For ICE part.. I would play with factory particle/strand examples, and nodes that you can find under 'particle>modifiers' and 'surface>interaction'.

For kH stuff, I have to admit that styling approach is more 'indirect' (sliders, geometry queries, parameters, function curves...), than 'direct' modeling. By taking this article as an guideline - only creation of 'primary shape' belong to 'direct' modeling, 'secondary shape' is somewhere in between, 'tertiary shape' is completely indirect, procedural approach. Also I've tried to avoid a 'classic', curves/guides modeling, as much as I can.
Both because, for a long time that hair systems are available for public, I didn't sow so much good results ('so much' is a nice word), of using *only* 'direct' curves/guides modeling, especially for long hairs.

Anyway, it's not big deal to utilize this nice addon, to create curves from strands, somewhere after 'primary shape', then to use created curves for additional modeling. That needs a few more steps in creation, but I think it's still enough convenient. Possibly I'll add this as an option, in a near future.

Cheers

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Aug 2010, 03:18

Hi all,

just a WIP of a new modifier called 'Cut By Geometry', that doing... well I think it's pretty obvious what it's doing. Actually there was one in some previous version, with similar functionality, but it wasn't sooo convenient.... This one is a single-step modifier with exactly two parameters ('Enable' and 'Invert').

Cheers

Rork

Post by Rork » 22 Aug 2010, 11:06

^:)^ :ymhug: :D

This set is getting better all the time!!

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

izze

Post by izze » 22 Aug 2010, 18:44

Oh yeah! That looks so neat. (and handy) Is that a poly mesh or nurbs doing the cutting?