Kristinka Hair 2.0

izze

Re: Kristinka Hair 2.0

Post by izze » 21 Sep 2010, 02:35

I don't remember if you have explained this already, but why is it that guides cannot be emitted from a polygon mesh? Obviously the kH Init MeshUV Emitter only prepares it for fur and not guides. But I guess I don't understand why that is exactly. Is it a limitation of strands? Thanks.
Last edited by izze on 21 Sep 2010, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Sep 2010, 10:09

izze wrote:I don't remember if you have explained this already, but why is it that guides cannot be emitted from a polygon mesh? Obviously the kH Init MeshUV Emitter only prepares it for fur and nhttp://www.si-community.com/community/posting.php?mode=quote&f=19&p=6485ot guides. But I guess I don't understand why that is exactly. Is it a limitation of strands? Thanks.
Actually, what is called 'emit fur' is a equivalent of 'emit guides' - so if you try to use kH Follow NURBS in ICE tree that starts with kH Emit Fur, it might work - even I'm not sure I've provided that compatibility for everything (but I'll check out this).

What definitively won't work with the latest release, is a filler point cloud (Kh emit Hair and that stuff), after Point Cloud that starts with kH Emit Fur.

About limitations.... it's always a compromise, what someone wants and what is a price...
Current configurations for geometry emitters, should provide a stable emission, even with deformed emitters in non-simulated ICE tree. Next task is a unique emitter's UV space inside 0-1 unit (that allows using of function curves instead of weight maps, and some other nice features). And another task is a well defined orientation (instead of using tangent maps). - All that in single ICE tree and just one emitting geometry, using only the factory ICE nodes.

Cheers

izze

Post by izze » 21 Sep 2010, 14:48

Thanks for the reply Anto. I thought of using follow nurbs with emit fur last night but it did not work. There is a problem with the kH_StartFromRoot not being initialized on the pointcloud. Sorry I can only report errors and not fix them. I will try what I can though. :)

I think the community would use more of Kristinka if it was possible to use more polygon meshes. But I understand why it requires nurbs. And really, its not that hard to use nurbs with how Kh is currently setup. You have made it very easy.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Sep 2010, 16:49

izze wrote:Thanks for the reply Anto. I thought of using follow nurbs with emit fur last night but it did not work. There is a problem with the kH_StartFromRoot not being initialized on the pointcloud. Sorry I can only report errors and not fix them. I will try what I can though. :)

I think the community would use more of Kristinka if it was possible to use more polygon meshes. But I understand why it requires nurbs. And really, its not that hard to use nurbs with how Kh is currently setup. You have made it very easy.

Well if I'll care what community is thinking, I won't be XSI user :)

Let's go back to topic - for that single attribute, it just need to be set to 'false' somewhere before kH Follow NURBS - but for anything serious, I really need to check out a whole set of nodes - and even that won't be enough for full compatibility. Just personally, I would like to avoid meshes at all - but maybe it's just me...

It shouldn't take a more than one evening to check out all, put a few of new nodes that are already posted in this thread. I hope I'll find the time for that in near future.

Cheers

izze

Post by izze » 21 Sep 2010, 21:05

That seems to work. But now of course other problems present them self. I'm going to see how bad I can break these nodes :P

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 25 Sep 2010, 01:36

Hi all,

here is download for Kristinka Hair 2.1

What's new:

Fixes and improvements:
- now it's possible to use all modifiers, also 'form' nodes, in ICE tree that starts with kH Emit Fur node.
- simplified interface for using the alternative strand arrays on kH Follow NURBS nodes (inputs for kH Offset Curves)
- simplified interface for using strand arrays on kH Emit Fur and kH Fur From NURBS: if nothing is plugged, node will emit 'default' strands along emitter's normals

New nodes:

kH2 Emit Simple Hair:
Simplified emitter node that emits points and strands from mesh. Mesh need to have only the non-overlapping UV projection. There are limitations too: deformations on mesh will cause unstable emission, points will 'jumping' through polygons. Only SRT on emitter have a sense in animation. Also, it's not possible to use hair filler after Point Cloud that starts with this node (kH Emit Hair and that stuff).
There is a new sample model with setup, called 'Simple-Hair'.

kH2 Display Hair Splitting:
Old utility node, but now node can set colors, using IDs created by form nodes.

kH2 Follow NURBS 2:
Version of Follow NURBS that interpolates strands in between two NURBS surfaces, instead of distribution along normals of second NURBS surface. Node is already posted in this thread.

KH2 Cut By Geometry:
Cuts the strand that are outside of volume of control mesh. Node is already posted here.

There is a lot of changes inside compounds, mainly to allow compatibility between modifiers and kH Emit Fur, so for using this pack, don't forget to copy all new nodes in folder where kH nodes already are.

Cheers

izze

Post by izze » 25 Sep 2010, 02:49

oh yeah! very very nice!

rray

Post by rray » 27 Sep 2010, 13:45

Useful additions, thanks for resurrecting the Follow2NURBS modifier :-!
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

izze

Post by izze » 28 Sep 2010, 03:19

I'm really enjoying this update. I can't think of anything I would change.

izze

Post by izze » 30 Oct 2010, 20:05

Is there a way to UV the emitter poincloud for texturing purposes? Some way with kH_EmitPointUV? Thanks.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 31 Oct 2010, 02:05

izze wrote:Is there a way to UV the emitter poincloud for texturing purposes? Some way with kH_EmitPointUV? Thanks.
If you mean transferring color from emitter object to Point cloud, it is: Apply Texture Map to emitter > connect projection (if emitter is NURBS that's probably "UV", if it's mesh, existing one). In Point Cloud, factory node "Get Texture Map Color">Set Data with "Self.Color".

izze

Post by izze » 01 Nov 2010, 01:28

Thank You.

izze

Post by izze » 05 Nov 2010, 17:14

When morphing a poly mesh with emit fur, the hairs change at each frame. Is there any way around this?

izze

Post by izze » 05 Nov 2010, 17:31

Or get Kristinka to detect trimmed surfaces? I am trying to make a beard and there has to be an opening in the mouth in the surface. Thats why I started with Fur on a polymesh, but it keeps shifting when animating.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Nov 2010, 21:34

Well, just nodes related to fur, are tested much more than another ones.... As it is in the latest pack, compound called 'kH2 Init MeshUV Emitter' should go *on top* of all deformers in stack (let's say, above envekope in the animation part of stack), and 'kh2 Init Mesh Static', *bellow* all deformers.

If this isn't convenient (I agree it isn't), you can leave the 'emitter mesh' without any deform opearator, and take the all deformations from another mesh (it should be exact copy, with same topology). Now it's only single ICE tree on emitter mesh, like this one.

cheers,

izze

Post by izze » 06 Nov 2010, 01:42

Right on. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sorry to bother so much. Cheers!