I have no idea, honestly. Also I'm unable to open this with my XSI version.
Anyway, here's a short list of 'common' issues:
- SRT of emitter, not at world origin (position 0,0,0, rotation 0,0,0, scale 1,1,1)
- SRT of Point Cloud, not at world origin
- cluster called 'Sample', that has texture projection. You can get this name by importing from aanother apps. This is an old issue, for example, this was a cause for crash when exporting to FBX, sometime around XSI 5. It seems that ICE also don't like this name. Anything else than 'Sample' (samplee, bob, zample...) seems to be fine.
- units: not 'real' problem, but all defaults in kH nodes, are for 1 SI Unit = 10 cm - a lot of queries for closest location, have already set their cutoff distance for this convention. In case of 'big' models, nodes won't catch what they need.
- ICE tree on mesh emitter in modeling region: not 'real' prolem, but tweaking of texture projection won't update in point cloud, at least not immediately
- texture projection outside 0-1 range : not 'real' problem, but many nodes expect the 0-1 range.
- overlapping in texture projection - big problem, it can mess up values, used later in ICE tree.
- edges on mesh, not disconnected at seams of texture projection - big problem, it can mess up values, used later in ICE tree.
If fixing of all that still can't help, only what I can suggest is to use the standard XSI hair. It should fit very well for fur stuff, and you'll be able to bother SI guys
with potential problems.