It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 10:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kristinka Hair 2.0
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 22:39 

Hello Mathaeus, I have been using your hair tools a lot recently and have come across a problem I cannot seem to figure out. When strand length is controlled by a weightmap, the strands seem to get cut, and I loose the taper set by strand size in SI units. Is there any way around this?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:14 

Strand thickness depends on the absolute distance traveled from the strand's root (That is, unless I'm missing something)
So with this setup it should be ok that hair gets cut that way. Does using the normal Strand fCurve (which uses relative distance traveled) does what you want? This one shouldn't depend on the absolute distance traveled, but would set thickness depending on %age along the length of the strand.
I hope I'll also be able to use KHair in a while again!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:34 

Yes, the normal Strand fCurve seems to work fine. Thank you. For some reason I thought I had to use the fCurve in SI Units to keep the thickness constant when changing camera distance. I am still a little (very) confused on this point.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:55 

Tickness has to be in SI Units and length in percent units in your case. Luckily it works together!

Btw I found Anto's approach to keeping thickness constant produces better render results than using the built-in "AbsoluteStrandWidth" attribute

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:10 

I was never able to produce strand taper using Anto's Strand Screen Size In SI Units. SEE That is why I stuck with the ShapeSizeAbsolute method. I am sure I am missing something simple. And it has been explained several times in this forum. But, I just cant seem to get it.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:58 

That's weird I just rebuilt the tree exactly like your screenshot, and the tapering works. Could it be that there's some weird multipliction factor in your fcurve?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 01:11 

My multiply factor is default 1. I set it to 0.1 like you, but still no taper. Can you PM me your scene file so I could take a look at it? I should be able to figure out what I am doing wrong that way.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 10:29 

how come that i have the exact same setup, but red nodes...??

Attachments:
kfur.jpg
kfur.jpg [ 215.21 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 11:15 

caledonian_tartan wrote:
how come that i have the exact same setup, but red nodes...??

Probably 'emitter' needs some work too. Emitter is a 'grid'. I wrote something about it in docs.It's not one step process - if you find it overcomplicated, well, all what I can say is, use some another hair system.

Izze, could you post screen shot of expanded 'kH2 Strand Length' node. There were a few versions of this node, I would like to be sure what you're using.
Also, could you be sure, is it a 'cut', or calculation is just lost - 'lost', means exactly the same thickness along whole strand, instead of array. Just point size is used.
Definitively it can happen that ICE considers this array as 'ready to kill' (especially if there is 'get array sum' before, as it is in 'get length' node), and from my little knowledge, various SI versions can behave differently, there. Anyway I *believe* there is a way to fix it 'in advance'.

Cheers

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 11:24 

no problem. i forgot to init on the mesh and probably should have read the docs first (or rather again...)
sry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next