General forum organization

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: General forum organization

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Jun 2009, 12:25

In my (extremely humble @-) ) opinion, the small (online/offline/new topic etc) buttons are too dark now making it too hard to distinguish the text on them... But this could just be me (old man!) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 07 Jun 2009, 13:53

...oh, yes, old man ;) I´ve chosen them because they are tiny...but I´m looking for something similar but more readable...haven´t found anything by now...

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 07 Jun 2009, 14:07

...I´ve changed the contrast a bit...hope they are better readable now.. ;)

ardworx

Post by ardworx » 07 Jun 2009, 17:58

i like it very much like it is, also the new buttons rule :D !!!
my only suggestion is that it would be nice to have the whole header filled with thumbs, at least when there is enough stuff to show :p ...also i liked it better with more black in the header like here:

keep up the good work!
greetz,
ardworx

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 07 Jun 2009, 20:22

Thanks for input, ardworx ;)

Nice to hear that finally ONE person feels comfortable with this design...I´m planing of giving the user the choise, later on...

Filling up the header is a good point...it depends on what people post here...hope, there will be soon enough stuff...!

thanks,
oliver

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Jun 2009, 20:37

While there might be more pictures in the gallery than there are now, I personally like a gallery that doesn't necessarily fill out the whole width of the page more than the standard way all these galleries are being presented (i.e. filling out the whole width)...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 09 Jun 2009, 16:34

Hi Oliver,

thank you for setting up this forum!
I like it very much.

The only things I stumbled upon was some stuff in the "rules":
- I find the wording a bit strong in Rule 4 forbidding any advertising or links to commercial stuff, since even Erics brilliant plugins are commercial and it would be a shame not to link to them ;-) Even if I would put a link to my website in my signature you could call it a commercial link, since I am a freelancer doing commercial work...
- At first I didn't understand Rule 11 at all and I'm not sure if it is necessary to ban all of it, other than where it links to crappy stuff. If someone links to an amazon book with his partner ID in reply to a question or where he is the author etc, I wouldn't mind that, since it doesn't affect my price or shopping experience at all.
- I fully accept the right of the moderators to ban me, but in my experience it can be helpful to have more levels of banning, to allow people to "learn something". In the NewTek discussion forum, someone who rants a lot and at one point got over the top was banned for two weeks. I found that a good solution, since everybody knows how a discussion can get heated online ;-)
Sure, if someone posts only spam or repeats flaming and trolling it may be best to ban him forever.

100% your decision but I found those a bit "strong". Or maybe I didn't understand them correctly?

Something I like a lot in the messiah forum (setuptab.com) is the button: "Show new posts since last visit" since it allows a very fast overview on what's going on without going through all the subforums. What do you think?

Again, thank you very much for your work! ^:)^

Best regards,

Thomas Helzle

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 09 Jun 2009, 16:45

Hi Thomas..!

..well, feel fre to make som suggestions abaout the rules...they are not sculpted in stone yet ;)
...in the hurry I had to copy something that seemed appropriate...

concerning last post: ...look the upper right side...there has to be a link "View last posts"..is that what you mean..?

greets,
oliver

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 09 Jun 2009, 17:10

Hi Oliver,

no problem ;-)
As far as the rules go: I could imagine banning links to anything illegal or "bad" or even fully XSI-unrelated stuff (spam), but "commercial" is putting it a bit wide IMO. Same for Rule 11.
As far as banning goes: I guess it is hard to word it strong and at the same time flexible without weakening it. I guess you will react in a case by case manner anyway. ;-)

The "View new posts" shows me basically all posts at the moment.
The "View new posts since your last visit" button at setuptab.com only shows the new posts since I last visited the forum, so if I log out and come back an hour later, I would only see the posts of that last hour. Very helpful.
I don't know if such a script/option is available for your forum software, but I found that extremely helpful :-)

But nothing really important, just a suggestion if it should be available easily.

Best regards,

Thomas

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 09 Jun 2009, 18:06

Hi Thomas..!

Well...the button should do the job...it could be that ist depends on your user settings...if you mark all posts as read (upper right side) this funktion should show you the newest posts...for me it works..let me know..!

As the rules are concerned, I have to keep it "strong" in some concerns. But I´ve changd the things you mentioned ;)

cheers,
oliver

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » 09 Jun 2009, 19:57

Yeah, now the button works exactly as advertised. Great!
Maybe I wasn't really logged out last time - I just closed the browser window...?

The rules read friendlier now - in the end, only time will tell what users may do and that will help shape the rules ;-)

Thank you!

Thomas