Critiques for Walk Cycle

Comments on work in progress
xsi_fanatic

Critiques for Walk Cycle

Post by xsi_fanatic » 22 Apr 2014, 08:08

Hi guys,

I was hoping I might get some critiques for my character's walk cycle.

I feel like I've reached the maximum capability ... but getting constructive criticism doesn't hurt

:D

grendizer

Re: Critiques for Walk Cycle

Post by grendizer » 22 Apr 2014, 10:48

Perhaps the leg lacks a bit of stretch when the front foot touches the ground?

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 23 Apr 2014, 03:12

grendizer wrote:Perhaps the leg lacks a bit of stretch when the front foot touches the ground?
True to that ... I wonder how that went unnoticed , thanks.

druitre

Post by druitre » 24 Apr 2014, 10:48

Hi, nice! For criticism: something doesn't 'feel' right for me, and I'd say it's about weights. His upper body/torso is small while his feet and head are big. Physically it would mean that he would have to use a lot of hip/waistpower to get everything into motion and keep it balanced, which would probably result in a more swaggery, bouncy, jumpy kind of walking. Like kids. Counteracting more with the shoulders, more movement of the upper torso.

Put on a pair of swimming flippers and see what happens to your own walkcycle :) (That is an exaggeration, but it's the direction that I'm thinking in)

cheers,
Jasper

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 25 Apr 2014, 01:45

druitre wrote:Hi, nice! For criticism: something doesn't 'feel' right for me, and I'd say it's about weights. His upper body/torso is small while his feet and head are big. Physically it would mean that he would have to use a lot of hip/waistpower to get everything into motion and keep it balanced, which would probably result in a more swaggery, bouncy, jumpy kind of walking. Like kids. Counteracting more with the shoulders, more movement of the upper torso.

Put on a pair of swimming flippers and see what happens to your own walkcycle :) (That is an exaggeration, but it's the direction that I'm thinking in)

cheers,
Jasper
Hi Jasper,

Thanks for the feedback. You make very valid points and I totally agree with you. I actually struggled with this walk cycle because of his massive head and feet. I had to reduce the size of his feet to make it get to this point. I also used the Smurfs 3D walk cycle for reference.

If there's gonna be major reconstruction to the animation (like what you're suggesting), then I'll have to pass for now. Not because I don't agree with you but I'd rather abandon this project and learn from my mistakes and keep moving forward. Especially since time is very limited.

druitre

Post by druitre » 25 Apr 2014, 09:59

No problem, are you planning on a short with him?
Nice link btw, thanks.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 26 Apr 2014, 01:05

druitre wrote:No problem, are you planning on a short with him?
Nice link btw, thanks.
No problem :)

Yes, this cycle will actually be used on an animated short. You can check out my blog here http://kungfuanimationproject.blogspot.ca/

You can watch the animatic video there as well. It's still a WIP.