3delight tests

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Blob StrokesAuthor: Anto Matkovic
Here's a small ICE compound used to generate these 'blob-strokes'. I had something like this before, but I really wasn't so excited by the speed of generation. Now with 3delight, it's definitely feasible, updates are performed immediately. The compound creates particles on curve list, evenly distributed, count is relative to particular sub-curve length (still, you'll need to take care of curve re-parametrization). It's also able to perform 'write on' on one-after-another subcurve (by sub-curve, or normalized by sub-curve length). In short, you can 'draw' 3d strokes with it, by animating the slider value. There are a few additional parameters. [..] contd. under si-community link

local backup: Emit Blobs From CurveList.xsicompound
3DelightAuthor: dna research
v4.0.41 updated Feb 21st 2015. 3Delight is a fast, high quality, RenderMan®-compliant renderer designed to produce photo-realistic images in demanding production environments. The renderer was introduced to the public in the year 2000 after being used for more than a year as the sole renderer in a sister production company. It is now widely used and earning a reputation as a benchmark in rendering technology. [..] (cont'd on product page)

DNA research recently released the 4.0.41 upgrade along with making the free license now support up to 8-core CPUs. Highlights from the changelog: Volumetric Smoke and Shards Any shader as light source projection Exposure, Gamma Controls Mesh Light support ESC to stop render. Last year's big 4.0 update introduced features such as: support for deep EXR files Native MARI textures support Improved sampling of environment maps Added the physically plausible 3Delight Material "Continuous rendering" is now enabled by default Up to x2 acceleration in hair/fur rendering Memory usage is down 30% when using the path tracer Skin shader for 3Delight for Softimage Motion Map property is now supported

A list of movie project rendered with the 3Delight renderer. As mentioned the product is free of charge for the first 8-core license. Additional quad-core licenses are available for 400$ each and unlimited multi-core licenses for 900$ each. Yearly support and updates 190$/290$ resp.

Comments on work in progress
Mathaeus

Re: 3delight tests

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Mar 2013, 23:09

Hi,

time to redo some old tests, now using a path-tracing engine from 3dl 3.1.35.. From my understanding, this path-tracing engine has to be a part of upcoming 3delight 4 for SI. Everything is ray-traced in these pics. I've used something like ray-tracing as primary ray, ray-tracing as global illumination, around 512-1024 samples for GI, 256-512 for glossy reflections. Image with girl, has one area light. Rest is lighted solely by environment, using equivalent of MIA physical sky (only sky, not classic light together).

On QuadCore machine and 4-core 3delight, render times are: for image with girl, about 20 minutes, metallic structure took about 40 minutes, building took about 2.5 hours - don't know does render-time CSG adds some time, probably it does. It seems that all features of 3dfSI, are working nicely with path-tracer. Hair, subsurface scattering, render time CSG, blobs, all kind of motion blur, displacement... Fine displacement seems to be a nice way to cover the noise, in case of stills.

There is also an especial, general purpose 3Delight material in this version. Didn't used it for now, had no time to redo the materials, so here it's still 3delight's equivalent of MIA.From first look at SL files, there is a lot of new code, at least some kind of new shading op, having a BSDF option. For now, I think fastest option for path-tracing is: ray-tracing as primary ray, without progressive rendering for final. Adding some area lights, removing some GI bounce, I believe this improves the render time. too.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 17 Mar 2013, 21:03

nice tests.
rendertimes are a bit high, but i think it should render faster with bsdf once its integrated. it should also eleminate the noise, which is a bit strong for the girl and the building. looking forward for updates.

Falam

Post by Falam » 17 Mar 2013, 21:57

Mathaeus wrote:Hi,

time to redo some old tests, now using a path-tracing engine from 3dl 3.1.35.. From my understanding, this path-tracing engine has to be a part of upcoming 3delight 4 for SI. Everything is ray-traced in these pics. I've used something like ray-tracing as primary ray, ray-tracing as global illumination, around 512-1024 samples for GI, 256-512 for glossy reflections. Image with girl, has one area light. Rest is lighted solely by environment, using equivalent of MIA physical sky (only sky, not classic light together).

On QuadCore machine and 4-core 3delight, render times are: for image with girl, about 20 minutes, metallic structure took about 40 minutes, building took about 2.5 hours - don't know does render-time CSG adds some time, probably it does. It seems that all features of 3dfSI, are working nicely with path-tracer. Hair, subsurface scattering, render time CSG, blobs, all kind of motion blur, displacement... Fine displacement seems to be a nice way to cover the noise, in case of stills.

There is also an especial, general purpose 3Delight material in this version. Didn't used it for now, had no time to redo the materials, so here it's still 3delight's equivalent of MIA.From first look at SL files, there is a lot of new code, at least some kind of new shading op, having a BSDF option. For now, I think fastest option for path-tracing is: ray-tracing as primary ray, without progressive rendering for final. Adding some area lights, removing some GI bounce, I believe this improves the render time. too.

How are you fairing with 3Delight, are you testing ? I was considering buying a License, Mental Ray nodes are limited in 3Delight and to create your own RenderMan shader you'd need Pixar Node based RenderMan software, another $2K :(

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Mar 2013, 23:18

Falam wrote: How are you fairing with 3Delight, are you testing ? I was considering buying a License, Mental Ray nodes are limited in 3Delight and to create your own RenderMan shader you'd need Pixar Node based RenderMan software, another $2K :(
Hello Falam,

these three were done with out-of-the-box shaders. There are only few parameters to tweak when it comes to path-tracing, everywhere . Regarding shaders, wouldn't hurt to have some hair shader with shifted highlights, and that's all, imho (which is not hard to put into existing hair shader, btw). New 3delight material should be able to cover all opaque stuff - including subsurface scattering, reflection coating, so on.

I'm not a tester, I believe I'm able to recognize the software, able to return the energy I put into it. Beside 3Delight, this could be Modo renderer and V-Ray, Softimage standard kinematics, Softimage ICE, so on. Of course I'd always prefer a full featured renderer, let's say, deformation blur is a thicket.

Falam

Post by Falam » 17 Mar 2013, 23:26

Mathaeus wrote:
Falam wrote: How are you fairing with 3Delight, are you testing ? I was considering buying a License, Mental Ray nodes are limited in 3Delight and to create your own RenderMan shader you'd need Pixar Node based RenderMan software, another $2K :(
Hello Falam,

these three were done with out-of-the-box shaders. There are only few parameters to tweak when it comes to path-tracing, everywhere . Regarding shaders, wouldn't hurt to have some hair shader with shifted highlights, and that's all, imho (which is not hard to put into existing hair shader, btw). New 3delight material should be able to cover all opaque stuff - including subsurface scattering, reflection coating, so on.

I'm not a tester, I believe I'm able to recognize the software, able to return the energy I put into it. Beside 3Delight, this could be Modo renderer and V-Ray, Softimage standard kinematics, Softimage ICE, so on. Of course I'd always prefer a full featured renderer, let's say, deformation blur is a thicket.
Would you buy a 3Delight License ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Mar 2013, 23:39

Falam wrote: Would you buy a 3Delight License ?
I already bought what's fit to my machine. Will see if I'll extend it this summer, for purpose of 3Delight exporter for Blender - maybe it's too early to talk about...

Falam

Post by Falam » 18 Mar 2013, 00:38

Mathaeus wrote:
Falam wrote: Would you buy a 3Delight License ?
I already bought what's fit to my machine. Will see if I'll extend it this summer, for purpose of 3Delight exporter for Blender - maybe it's too early to talk about...
What do you mean what 'fit to my machine' ? You're limited to phong shaders for Illumination, maybe I'm not seeing that it's good for NPR renders, therefore phong is all you need ? Do you use any renderman shaders ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Mar 2013, 00:51

Oh come on, I think I didn't used any phong shader since 2004 or so - at least, not plain one.
It's very late evening where I'm, time to sleep....

Falam

Post by Falam » 18 Mar 2013, 00:59

Mathaeus wrote:Oh come on, I think I didn't used any phong shader since 2004 or so - at least, not plain one.
It's very late evening where I'm, time to sleep....
The Arch Shader I was told doesn't work in 3Delight. Only (1) SSS shaders works in 3D delight, that is not much concern with the SSS within 3Delight. What shader(s) are you using if you don't use phong ?

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 18 Mar 2013, 01:55

you have two versions of the arch shader in xsi. the mia one and the native integrated, one of these two is working, not sure which at the moment, but i think you can find the informations in the 3delight docs.

Falam

Post by Falam » 18 Mar 2013, 03:20

Maybe I've been misinformed, maybe I'll consider buying a license :)

Matt which license did you buy a Quad License ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Aug 2013, 21:22

Just an assembly of things I already had. It's very old school render, about 50 spot lights with DSM, third of that only for making a window light. Point-based color bleeding on top. In short no any ray tracing, at all. Everything took about 2.5 hours to render, on quad-core machine.
Tried new path tracing, too. Hopefully all that mass fitted in available 8 gigs of memory, but didn't have a patience to wait for final. That grainy preview really doesn't tells that much when it comes to fine details, like hair.
What's tested here.... probably Sinc filter (available for ages). It is a very sharp filter, but it also gives a slight bloom effect when it runs over bright pixels (even without DOF or like), because of large area considered for oversampling.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 10 Aug 2013, 23:08

very impressive, strand master! :D
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Aug 2013, 01:29

gustavoeb wrote:very impressive, strand master! :D
Thank you kindly. Just to clarify, rubber ducks were created using the rare technique called 'box modeling'. Strange some method...
Now seriously, this is one should be more artistic, including inevitable DOF-ed object in front of camera. This time I put complete GI on everything, including hair. In first pic hair was only visible to other objects. Removed a lot of lights, now there's about 30. Half for a row on floor, to simulate the primary bounce. Render time jumped to about 3.5 hours on QuadCore, slowly walking around all that hairs. But it looks more consistent, imho.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 21 Aug 2013, 21:02

looks great sofar.
could you test the newer path trace stuff on that, how long is it rendering?

Moderator edit: removed double post - HB

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Aug 2013, 00:32

thank you. This is rendered with 3.1.39, current is 3.1.49, probably it's good idea to wait a bit. Maybe there's someone around, having a stronger machine, than my home QuadCore.