Typhoon and Tiger Tank

Comments on work in progress
ActionArt

Typhoon and Tiger Tank

Post by ActionArt » 23 May 2011, 23:58

This is a new aviation project I've been working on with the pilot of the Typhoon. He fired rockets on a Tiger tank during the battle of the Falaise Gap. It has a LONG way to go yet. Comments welcome :)

ActionArt

Re: Typhoon and Tiger Tank

Post by ActionArt » 24 May 2011, 00:02

Some things I'll be working on next: Road texture variation, tank camo paint and dirt, tank muzzle blast smoke, rocket smoke improvements, etc. The lighting is fairly basic at the moment.

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 24 May 2011, 01:44

it looks great so far^^ :)

geoath

Post by geoath » 25 May 2011, 09:38

wow, i like WWII related projects, and this one looks very promising!
i find it interesting though the typhoon attacking form the front instead from the rear (or side) which i think is the most vulnerable part of the tank.

ps: i had a look at your site, impressive work there :ymapplause:

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 25 May 2011, 20:00

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

As for the angle of attack, the pilot said there were a lot of targets, a lot of AA fire and he's traveling at over 400mph so when he got a chance to fire he took it, no time to turn around and attack from an ideal angle, that would be a good way to get shot down.

In this case the tank even fired back with the main gun. It missed this time but he said they eventually lost 4 aircraft to tank main guns. Now that's some good shooting! Not easy to hit an aircraft with such a large piece like that.

The outcome is unknown since he didn't turn around to take a look at what damage the rockets may have done.

geoath

Post by geoath » 28 May 2011, 14:15

ActionArt wrote: In this case the tank even fired back with the main gun. It missed this time but he said they eventually lost 4 aircraft to tank main guns.
I've also read about similar reactions from Tiger crews.
Otto Carius, a famous Tiger commander, has confirmed a lethal hit with the "88" gun while he was serving in the Eastern front. As the gun's breech and firing mechanism were from the famous "88" flak gun, i think this could be possible, with a lot of luck of course.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 31 May 2011, 06:09

There's been a bit of progress this weekend. A VERY special thanks to geoath for giving me his Tiger model of which I've used a number of parts, mainly the tracks and accessory details. Thank you so much geoath, that saved me a lot of time!

Obviously there's a long way to go yet but it's starting to look like something :)

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 31 May 2011, 08:30

looks really nice,keep up the good work :)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 06 Jun 2011, 17:41

Thanks! Here's a bit of an update.

This is my first shot at the camo paint. Let me know what you think :)

Also added some dust kicked up from the tank firing. I still have to add the smoke from the muzzle.

I used this images as a basic reference for the paint scheme:

geoath

Post by geoath » 27 Jun 2011, 01:46

Actionart, i'm really glad that some parts were useful to you, and really thank you for the credits :)
i like the paint scheme , hope we'll soon see an update, or even better the final image ;)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 27 Jun 2011, 18:02

Thanks! The parts worked out great! I really like those tracks especially. Indeed there is an update.

The next step is some wear and tear (looks pretty new right now). I also need to touch up the zimmerit on the edges.

I also overdid the exhaust smoke forgetting that this was a gas engine, not a diesel. I'll have to fix that.

Comments/crits most welcome :D