Work in Progress: Backyard

Comments on work in progress
Letterbox

Re: Work in Progress: Backyard

Post by Letterbox » 11 Aug 2009, 18:44

I have to agree, I also prefer the non-tonemapped version, but which ever way you slice it, a job well done.

Cheers
Terry

shushens

Post by shushens » 11 Aug 2009, 18:51

I have turned PhysicalSun off, and hid most of the geometry, for testing purposes. Used a zero intensity spotlight with white caustics of 500,000 intensity. The spots were looking too bright, so I have raised the IoR of the glass material drastically to tame it down a little (25).

But it is not looking very impressive, is it?

What should I do to make things more interesting?

And, if I use the Caustic pass to isolate the cuastics, why does other things like reflection still show? HDRI reflection is not working in Caustic pass, but geometry is still being reflected. Is that not uncalled for? I am supposed to add the caustics later in screen mode (if I want to composite separately, that is), right? But that here will affect the reflections as well.

So, what's the right workflow?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

shushens

Post by shushens » 11 Aug 2009, 18:52

Letterbox wrote:I have to agree, I also prefer the non-tonemapped version, but which ever way you slice it, a job well done.

Cheers
Terry
Many thanks Terry! I am a big admirer of Letterbox, by the way! The job you guys are doing is awesome :D

shushens

Post by shushens » 11 Aug 2009, 19:32

Adding the pass did not do what I wanted, but it does bring a tad little bit of difference to the whole thing. Not sure whether it looks better or worse though...

I have already partially rejected the tonemapping. I will get rid of it. I don't like it now either LOL.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 24 Aug 2009, 07:43

This is becoming another fine piece Subhomoy, I think this is the high time to make your personal website.

shushens

Post by shushens » 24 Aug 2009, 14:08

Thanks Satyajitda. Yes I do feel the need of it, but had no time. I could not even work on the night shot because I was modelling/texturing some Praetorian guards in Max for someone. Also there are other things going on. But I will resume this shortly and also start making a website slowly at my leisure (if there is such a thing :P ).

shushens

Post by shushens » 25 Aug 2009, 01:30

final0.jpg
final0.jpg (148.72 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Finally I could find a little time to add a shed and some mild caustics effects. What do you guys think? Is it looking like a complete thing now (for the daylight shot)?

_______ EDIT________

The flower pot looks a bit too new. I will probably have to do something about it.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Aug 2009, 09:04

Looks very impressive... :-bd
(And the flower pot might just be new... It doesn't stand out as being too new IMHO!)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

shushens

Post by shushens » 08 Sep 2009, 09:20

I have tried to achieve a little further deconstruction in here.

Beauty Pass:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (132.22 KiB) Viewed 989 times
If you look closely, there has been a few changes. The shadow of the overhead shed is more distinct, the vase with the grassy houseplant does not look so new any more, the bump on the wall has improved a little bit, etc.

Specular Pass:

Caustics Pass:

Window Isolation Pass:

Some random image I grabbed from the internet:

This is the final composite:
final0.jpg
final0.jpg (136.92 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Finally, the blurred reflection on the window is gone :D

And this is the Fusion flow:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 988 times
But I do not want to stop just yet. I want to break the beauty pass down further into diffuse, fg, shadow and reflection. The problem is, I am not being able to find some smart way to make those alpha mapped leaves work in the shadow pass. I have been playing around with many things, like mip_card_opacity, material override, sprite and BinaryAlchemy shadow shader. But so far I haven't found what I was looking for. This should be a pretty common problem. It's kinda strange I could not find much on it.

Any suggestion on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am not very happy with the final result. Please tell me, guys, how can I make it better? I want to make it good so that if I send it to 3DCreative, they wouldn't say no. Does not mean I am gonna send it, I am just trying to maintain a quality threshold in here. One thing that strikes me is that the final colour composition is a little off. The hole thing is looking a little bland and lacks depth. There must be something I could do to fix that?

Thanks in advance :)

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 08 Sep 2009, 11:53

Wow! Looks wonderful Subhomoy. You can definitely send this to 3DCreative! Everything looks perfect. We would love to see a tutorial based upon this.

For the sake of pursuing perfection you can work on these if you like to :
1. The caustic spots caught my eyes. May be you can soften them.
2. The false reflection on the window pane. May be dim it a bit. I think it'll help the candle and the leaves.
3. The large leaves on the flower pot, may be you can give them a little thickness? That can really add to the believability.

And again, fabulous job!