TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
Shredder565

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 07 Dec 2013, 02:09

trying to get a new turtle lair finalized...

Still trying to get april's face to look right....third try.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 14 Dec 2013, 23:58

updated!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 17 Dec 2013, 04:01

Last edited by Shredder565 on 17 Dec 2013, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 17 Dec 2013, 04:02

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 21 Dec 2013, 23:03

Fix ups begin... It's a one scene character, but he could have looked better than he did before..

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 30 Dec 2013, 05:35

This has to be the sixth Face and hairdoo on april in the last 3 years.... I just can't seem to get it to look right. I like this a little better than the last one though.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 01 Jan 2014, 02:03

three years of my life working on this stuff....

I think I finally got an April Face/Hair redoo I'm happy with.. it looks a little better than the last one.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Jan 2014, 03:26

I wish I knew how to get her face to look good..but oh well...four more fix up shots and act one is finished.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Jan 2014, 23:21

one fixup left

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Jan 2014, 03:05

it's this thread two years anniversary!
the lighting and shadings is really cruel to what you're trying to accomplish. The highlights and shadows are unmotivated and sometimes look reverse.

About April, I understand you're color blind, and I'm not sure what you're seeing on your end. She's dressed in bright yellow, which is correct, however she has bright green highlights - on her shoulders, for example. It is a little psychedelic-looking. She looks like her iconic yellow suite is dirty with green paint.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Jan 2014, 03:59

luceric wrote:it's this thread two years anniversary!
the lighting and shadings is really cruel to what you're trying to accomplish. The highlights and shadows are unmotivated and sometimes look reverse.

About April, I understand you're color blind, and I'm not sure what you're seeing on your end. She's dressed in bright yellow, which is correct, however she has bright green highlights - on her shoulders, for example. It is a little psychedelic-looking. She looks like her iconic yellow suite is dirty with green paint.
I just found out something rather interesting on the green end of things. I've been taking color samples direct from screen grabs... slightly modified. And in talking with bill Wolf, one of the series producers, apparently they used taints of green ANYWHERE they could.....from sky, to vehicles to ground gravel. so the green may not be that far off. But I will try and modify it to be a bit more yellow.

Honestly, I've never been happy with how the shading looks myself. sometimes it comes off as shiny, other times, there is no difference at all between the 'top and 'bottom' color on the shading. I just try on settle on something that looks halfway decent.

I just wish the show backgrounds where a little more detailed. sometimes they are no better than an abstract art painting, with only a shadow of a mountain here, a dab of color representing a tree there....I think the background reproductions (exact traces) look worse than anything the characters have to offer on the bad scale :(.... I guess there is only so much you can do trying to figure out this stuff on your own :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Jan 2014, 02:14

from the pictures of the show I've seen on the web, April just has darker yellow shadow highlights. But I'm thinking you cannot tell green vs yellow well. the shadows are sometime more stylistic, than motivated, but generally it looks like each charcacter has their own light directly above them, sometimes slightly behind or to the side. April's shadows come from her arms or her hair, so the top of her arms in the T pose would not have had shadows like in the previous page.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jan 2014, 04:35

luceric wrote:from the pictures of the show I've seen on the web, April just has darker yellow shadow highlights. But I'm thinking you cannot tell green vs yellow well. the shadows are sometime more stylistic, than motivated, but generally it looks like each charcacter has their own light directly above them, sometimes slightly behind or to the side. April's shadows come from her arms or her hair, so the top of her arms in the T pose would not have had shadows like in the previous page.
to be perfectly honest, I'm never really sure WHERE to place the light... so mostly I just place it in a spot where I think it looks neat rendered.

Taking a little break from Turtles for a while. With Act one done, it's time to try a little side project.

A little model refinement tomorrow, and hopefully then it can be time to move on to the stage design for "Carl Wheezer sings"....

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jan 2014, 11:18

To avoid confusion you might want to open a new thread for your new project. And I'd seriously look into the lighting issue. In a still you should consider to at least set up a "three point light" rig (like described here).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jan 2014, 15:35

Hirazi Blue wrote:To avoid confusion you might want to open a new thread for your new project. And I'd seriously look into the lighting issue. In a still you should consider to at least set up a "three point light" rig (like described here).

THere is ONE scene in that whole 7 minutes where I messed around with using more than one light.....but I'll take a look at the link.

I probably will start a new thread for the new project eventually, but just in case on the rare occasion someone might wonder why this one hasn't been updated in two weeks, that's why :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Jan 2014, 15:57

for the toon shaders, it's one light that you have to use to get the right look. I was suggesting that perhaps each character should get his light if an infinit light doesn't work. three-point lighting is for more realistic scenes.