TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Comments on work in progress
Shredder565

Re: TMNT Complete Episode Work/Image Thread

Post by Shredder565 » 05 Jan 2014, 03:59

luceric wrote:it's this thread two years anniversary!
the lighting and shadings is really cruel to what you're trying to accomplish. The highlights and shadows are unmotivated and sometimes look reverse.

About April, I understand you're color blind, and I'm not sure what you're seeing on your end. She's dressed in bright yellow, which is correct, however she has bright green highlights - on her shoulders, for example. It is a little psychedelic-looking. She looks like her iconic yellow suite is dirty with green paint.
I just found out something rather interesting on the green end of things. I've been taking color samples direct from screen grabs... slightly modified. And in talking with bill Wolf, one of the series producers, apparently they used taints of green ANYWHERE they could.....from sky, to vehicles to ground gravel. so the green may not be that far off. But I will try and modify it to be a bit more yellow.

Honestly, I've never been happy with how the shading looks myself. sometimes it comes off as shiny, other times, there is no difference at all between the 'top and 'bottom' color on the shading. I just try on settle on something that looks halfway decent.

I just wish the show backgrounds where a little more detailed. sometimes they are no better than an abstract art painting, with only a shadow of a mountain here, a dab of color representing a tree there....I think the background reproductions (exact traces) look worse than anything the characters have to offer on the bad scale :(.... I guess there is only so much you can do trying to figure out this stuff on your own :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Jan 2014, 02:14

from the pictures of the show I've seen on the web, April just has darker yellow shadow highlights. But I'm thinking you cannot tell green vs yellow well. the shadows are sometime more stylistic, than motivated, but generally it looks like each charcacter has their own light directly above them, sometimes slightly behind or to the side. April's shadows come from her arms or her hair, so the top of her arms in the T pose would not have had shadows like in the previous page.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jan 2014, 04:35

luceric wrote:from the pictures of the show I've seen on the web, April just has darker yellow shadow highlights. But I'm thinking you cannot tell green vs yellow well. the shadows are sometime more stylistic, than motivated, but generally it looks like each charcacter has their own light directly above them, sometimes slightly behind or to the side. April's shadows come from her arms or her hair, so the top of her arms in the T pose would not have had shadows like in the previous page.
to be perfectly honest, I'm never really sure WHERE to place the light... so mostly I just place it in a spot where I think it looks neat rendered.

Taking a little break from Turtles for a while. With Act one done, it's time to try a little side project.

A little model refinement tomorrow, and hopefully then it can be time to move on to the stage design for "Carl Wheezer sings"....

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jan 2014, 11:18

To avoid confusion you might want to open a new thread for your new project. And I'd seriously look into the lighting issue. In a still you should consider to at least set up a "three point light" rig (like described here).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Jan 2014, 15:35

Hirazi Blue wrote:To avoid confusion you might want to open a new thread for your new project. And I'd seriously look into the lighting issue. In a still you should consider to at least set up a "three point light" rig (like described here).

THere is ONE scene in that whole 7 minutes where I messed around with using more than one light.....but I'll take a look at the link.

I probably will start a new thread for the new project eventually, but just in case on the rare occasion someone might wonder why this one hasn't been updated in two weeks, that's why :)

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Jan 2014, 15:57

for the toon shaders, it's one light that you have to use to get the right look. I was suggesting that perhaps each character should get his light if an infinit light doesn't work. three-point lighting is for more realistic scenes.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 18 Jan 2014, 22:14

I finally got it to render right. Act one is forever done. I can NEVER get april to look right according to my satisfaction.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 17 Feb 2014, 15:37

Getting back to basics.....I've decided to complete Act 1 of the Big Rip Off next. Once that is done, I will go back to Act 2 of The Big Blow Out.

Once this is done, that's it for turtles. I may just tackle real ghostbusters next.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 17 Feb 2014, 15:38

luceric wrote:for the toon shaders, it's one light that you have to use to get the right look. I was suggesting that perhaps each character should get his light if an infinit light doesn't work. three-point lighting is for more realistic scenes.
How do you set up one light per character?

In this Big Rip Off episode, I am going to need to use light effects to suggest a power outage. but, for whatever reason, the brightening and dimming of lights never seems to render right for me. IF I delete all lights in the scene, it STILL shows up as perfectly lit

luceric

Post by luceric » 17 Feb 2014, 16:54

Shredder565 wrote:
luceric wrote:for the toon shaders, it's one light that you have to use to get the right look. I was suggesting that perhaps each character should get his light if an infinit light doesn't work. three-point lighting is for more realistic scenes.
How do you set up one light per character?
Look here associative lights
if you drag and drop any polymesh or model in a light's Associated Model group, the light will start affecting only those objects and nothing else in the scene.

you don't need to create a special light.. you can drag and drop anything on the associated model icon of any light you've already created. the default mode is "exclusive light" so it will automatically switch to lighting only those modes.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 28 Feb 2014, 04:47

I don't know if i'm doing it wrong, or if it's just not giving me the effect I want...but I need something that's a bit more of a spotlight effect for this, I think..

Updated the rip Off Video in a few minutes with a few more shots.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 01 Mar 2014, 19:01

re: lighting. I changed the angle of the light in this one...does that make the shadows look any better?

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 02 Mar 2014, 06:27

I don't know if you can see this, but I'm still trying to mess around with associated lights.
I'm trying to get the above image, lit like this

Nothing I seem to do will get the lighting effects that so clearly seem there in the camera window, to show up in the final mental ray render.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I never messed with anything beyond very light animation and modeling before.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 06 Mar 2014, 00:10

what's left of my unused joints finishing up a massive set. halfway through.
Even though I try not to george lucas this project, I do occasionally make changes that I hope will look more rendered in 3D.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 18 Mar 2014, 21:31

http://vimeo.com/71071390
updated again. for the life of me, I can't f i gure out why the lights are not rendering properly....I dim them, no effect. I brighten them, no effect. I change their color..nothing.

So, I've had to cheat with cubes and 'see through' color effects to achieve the same thing....

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 26 Mar 2014, 16:23