Pumpkin project (())

Comments on work in progress
agrmrs

Pumpkin project (())

Post by agrmrs » 27 Mar 2010, 05:58

hi friends , meanwhile i began to model a pumpkin ;;) i'm going to make is as a little project and render it too :D ....... i modeled up to below picture

i've got a little 2 questions about modeling ......
1) as u seen the blocks of the pumpkin.... i need to scale each pumpkin block itself horizontally ( to make it a bit smooth & round )....i went to the scale tool and i'm pretty sure that global mode doesen't do it ....and also the local mode only changes the orientation .....but as i said can we scale them horizontally each part itself ? ....i can do it manually but if we can do them at once it would be great :D

thanx :)

2) if i use "split edge" tool to split a one block (as seen in below picture ) ......how can i position the point at very sharp of the middle of that block ? .....i can guess and locate the point at the middle ... when i let the middle mouse button free, then it splits that block .....but can't be claimed that it splits the sharp middle of that block

plez give ur opinions .....thanx :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Pumpkin project (())

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Mar 2010, 10:02

You can split the edge evenly (through the middle) by pressing Ctrl while clicking the wanted edge using the "split edge" tool. And "middle clicking" gets you the whole row in one go... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

shushens

Post by shushens » 27 Mar 2010, 11:17

Or, for slicing up all the broad edge rings in one go, select one edge from each ring, hit SHIFT + D and check "Parallel Edge Loop".

For situations like that where you want uniform inflation without damaging the smoothness of the flow, do not use scale tool. Use MODIFY > DEFORM > PUSH. It works on both edges and polygons.

I have attached a somewhat pumpkinlike thingy with full construction history. You can delete the history little by little and de-construct it :)

Hope it helps :)
Attachments
pumpkin.rar
(63.96 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 27 Mar 2010, 14:03

thank u very much Hirazi Blue it worked very well :

thank u soo much shushens for the explanation and for ur yummy pumpkin :D now i have the idea ..worked very well :) will post the updates when i fix my pumpkin :)

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 28 Mar 2010, 05:48

Edit -issue solved .....while playing with some commands accidentally found the solution :p the command is Modify > Poly Mesh > "collapse component"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi friends, i made my pumpkin with more blocks :) as u seen in 1st picture, i needed to weld the vertices at one point right in the middle of them ..... i gave "weld boundary points/edges" command but it welded them in another manner .....not all the vertices at one point in the middle :(

i need to get this type result

thanx :)
Last edited by agrmrs on 05 Jul 2013, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

shushens

Post by shushens » 29 Mar 2010, 08:21

Here is another way of doing it:

Select the points, right click and choose "Weld Points to Target".
Cursor will change to pick mode. Instead of picking a point in particular, right click on empty space.
XSI will understand there is no pre-existing target vertex and it will join them to an average location.

And if you want those points to hold the line and neo geometry to fill the hole, then with the points selected, hit Ctrl + D first and then Ctrl + DEL. That will create new cap geometry instead of merging those points.
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

agrmrs

Post by agrmrs » 29 Mar 2010, 08:39

shushens wrote:Here is another way of doing it:

Select the points, right click and choose "Weld Points to Target".
Cursor will change to pick mode. Instead of picking a point in particular, right click on empty space.
XSI will understand there is no pre-existing target vertex and it will join them to an average location.

And if you want those points to hold the line and neo geometry to fill the hole, then with the points selected, hit Ctrl + D first and then Ctrl + DEL. That will create new cap geometry instead of merging those points.
ohh that's another smart way ....than mate ...thanx for cap filling method too :-bd