Retopo Tools

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Curve Retopo ToolAuthor: Constantine Tarasenkov
a prototype of curve based retopo tool, it's rough because user should make some adjustments since it's not that precise but it does what it says [..] Requirements: Tested on Softimage 2012 SP1 x64 and Softimage 2013 x64. Installation: 1. Drag-n-drop *.xsiaddon file into the viewport, refresh the compounds list or restart Softimage 2. Install Byungchul Kang's CnD_NormalizedCurve addon Usage: Select the mesh, go to View -> Toolbars -> Retopo Tools, click on "Initialize" button and enable Sketch curve tool (Model -> Curve -> Sketch)

local backup: Retopo_Tools.xsiaddon

Comments on work in progress
Falam

Re: Retopo Tools

Post by Falam » 20 Feb 2013, 23:18

I gave the compound a test run on a 10 Million plus, polygon mesh. It is unusable. For lighter meshes it probably works faster (under 2 million), then again you are re-topping a mesh too much if you go that route, and eventually you break the 2 million polygon route barrier and the tool is useless.

It is a step, more optimization has to go into this compound, consider the resources that Softimage uses alone and combining that with what this tool needs, then optimize, not a simple task. If you need a retopology tool and you are working with other sculpting tools, not including ZBrush, Mud or 3D Coat this is a good addition, otherwise most of the other tools have built in re-toping tools. That is my little review, probably share this tool on my blog :)

Qwesto

Post by Qwesto » 09 Mar 2013, 12:27

...still pressin' F5 over here :D ...any news?

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 09 Mar 2013, 20:24

seventh at seven

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 09 Mar 2013, 20:43

Requirements from the first post are updated.

benoit81

Post by benoit81 » 25 Feb 2014, 10:52

Hello,
Really nice plugin, thank you !

A question about retopo : is there a way to snap a selection of edges to a surface (without Shrink Warp). Actually, when I snap a selection of edges to a face only the center of selection is constrain to the mesh surface... Would be nice to have this option in the snap preferences. I do not like Shrink Warp because the results are sometime weird, and it take some time to activate it and tweak it.
Regards,