Bongo Dance - Baile del Bongo

Comments on finished work
Draise

Bongo Dance - Baile del Bongo

Post by Draise » 27 Jul 2013, 00:46

Hey guys!

Here is my little Bongo dance for you! It's a promotional video created as an experiment to create expectations in our audience, here in my private studio in Colombia, to share some word of what we are doing, help with sales. And.. we are twiddling thumbs while we wait for a large sale to land before buy more machines and hiring people.

It took me about a month to finish this animation and upload, with it's trials and errors (a whole week work wasted and repeated with a techinical glitch in SI, no retimed and looped image sprites, SI bug - reported). It's my character Bongo from a series I'm producing, he does a little dance. The animation is better than most I've done, with some errors here and there. Still learning. His animation is also more restricted than before, making him look a little more adult than the guy in the series, but you'd need to see my other work to compare.. I tried playing with the lighting a lot. But I like it, and now I'm sharing it with you.

I would love to hear your critiques, advice, praise, anything! Oh, and feel free to share! I know I might not be up to par with the skill of those on this forum, but I'd love to share and see what you guys think of it!

I used Animestudio for the 2D aspect of the animation, SI composite for effects, Mentalray and Redshift (because only have one machine with CUDA gpu on the renderfarm) for the render of everything, and GEAR for the rig.

Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
Bongo - viral_01twitter background_00001.jpg

nixx

Re: Bongo Dance - Baile del Bongo

Post by nixx » 27 Jul 2013, 04:11

That was very fun to watch, Draise ! I liked the synchronized shape play, and the camera motion, too (you 'd think that camera moves like those would be tiring, but no, at least not to me) !

The character looks good, too. As for the character animation, that also looked good to me, but then again, I 'm about as good at character animation as a fish is at climbing stairs, so I 'm obviously not the best judge of that.

Overall, loved it. Best of luck in your business !
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Jul 2013, 10:04

I really like it (although I think it might be a little too long). :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 27 Jul 2013, 13:55

nice idea and conception. the synchronization of the sprites and the dancing is a good touch. My critique , from a non animators perspective, would be that the character felt he was animated with one central null. whenever he moved around x and z rapidly he felt like an invisible force moved him rather than being propelled by his own body, legs and feet. if you can sort that out you will be well on your way. thanks for sharing :D
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Draise

Post by Draise » 30 Jul 2013, 00:24

Thanks for the compliments and breakdowns! I really appreciate it. ;)

Concerning the animation with the null making him look like he's floating around through the force... indeed that was what it was, and the extra movement was exaggerated around the scene, and it wasn't planned, and mainly added AFTER the animation. Unfortunately my artistic director changed his mind last minute, and I had no time to reanimate the compensation for all the translation..

I'll post more little clips with him later on. :ymsmug:

Draise

Post by Draise » 23 Aug 2013, 23:46

I know it's in Spanish, but I couldn't help but quickly make this with my coworker/business partner/boss who invests in me (he's got the cash) lastnight. We made it just for fun to place it in the social networks. But really all it says is..: Can you give a -(crossed out)- many likes?

I'm trying out new techniques for lighting, playing with Redshift, playing with Mentalray, learning how to bounce light do a better job at it. What do you think?

Rendering is like an arm wrestle..

Do you guys I should make a project thread for the internet campaign and TV series I'm doing? Or.. just random threads when I make them?

Draise

Post by Draise » 01 Sep 2013, 20:16

Hey guys! I am competing in an animation festival coming up with ACM's Siggraph Bogota 2013 here in Colombia, and there is a chance I get my animation to play all day in a national Cinema along side Siggraph.

Sometimes the site has problems with sound, but you can watch it better in Chrome with this link http://www.loop.la/animacion.php?animacion_id=405

To vote you either like it with Facebook or Twitter, comment it or just watch it.

It's exciting to play in festivals, specially with the online community as the judges! Hope you guys like it too!