Chick-Fil-A: Celebrating 50 Years

Comments on finished work
El Burritoh

Chick-Fil-A: Celebrating 50 Years

Post by El Burritoh » 19 Feb 2014, 21:20

We were fortunate to be able to work on an ad for Chick-Fil-A recently, and it was all rendered in Redshift, in Softimage.

Client: Chick-Fil-A/Radiate Films
Director: Ben Smallbone
Art Director: Joël Gibbs
3D: Tim Crowson
Comp: Joël Gibbs/Don Culwell

The concept was simple: have a camera move through a room as it changes decor to reflect a different decade from the 1960s up through the present day. We had 2 weeks from start to finish on this one, but in reality we wound up with a much tighter schedule. We certainly didn't have time to model what we needed, so we bought some commercial models, retextured and reshaded them, and lit the scenes. In the end, I was able to get each decade accounted for in about one work day each. Spent a couple of hours in the morning gathering and prepping the assets, then blocking in the lighting and shading, then rest of the day tweaking, and finally off to render. Joël and Don then took it and comped it in After Effects, doing some CC and adding the footage of the sandwich.

- The 3-bounce cap was raised right as I started lighting this, and I was so thankful! I used 8 bounces on this job and it really helped, especially in the 70s set, with all the orange spill everywhere.

- The shag carpet in the 70s set is not hair. It's a just single dense rug instanced around the room.

- Rendered using IPC + BF. The longest frames were for the 70s and took maybe 12-15min on our fastest machines. Other shots were closer to the 5-6 min mark.

- The 80s set was tough! Have you ever tried to actually define the 80s in terms of style? It's a mess! We all have ideas about it, but when it comes time to actually produce something that says '80s', and you have like a day to do it, it's not easy. Stupid 80s! In the end, we had a couple of different directions to go in, and we went with this one.

Here are the decades. Click for high-res...

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s
Last edited by El Burritoh on 19 Feb 2014, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Chick-Fil-A: Celebrating 50 Years

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Feb 2014, 23:17

Very nice... Render times, number of machines? What GPU?

It appears, though, as if the television points the wrong way... :p
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 19 Feb 2014, 23:22

Thanks. Render times are in the original post. Maybe 10-12 machines? Mostly 770s and 560s, and a Titan. Yes, the TVs are definitely pointing the wrong way. That was something we inherited from the initial concept, as the director wanted to see it.

Also, these frames seem a bit soft, even the in-focus areas, and I think that was something they did in comp. My renders were very clear.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Feb 2014, 23:26

Oops, I indeed overlooked the render times... :ymblushing:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!