Made in 'Softimage Badge' & Game of Thrones Edinburgh Intro

Comments on finished work
SPJ

Made in 'Softimage Badge' & Game of Thrones Edinburgh Intro

Post by SPJ » 18 Jun 2014, 14:17

Hello Softies,

I've never posted here before but I've been on si-community many times looking for solutions to problems I've had over the years. I just released my latest project on YouTube, and being that during the production Softimage got pulled I had something made to pay homage to the software that has made not only this project great to work on, but many before it.

I call it the 'Made in Softimage Badge', or 'Softimage Badge' for short. It's proudly displayed at the end of my projects credits:

Game of Thrones Edinburgh Edition

Behind the Scenes
Production Blog

It was a very sad day for me when I heard, as I am sure it was for every one of you. I want to share this badge with every Softimage artist, to shout out the amazing things that our 3D software can do, the things its part of. So please feel free to download it, use it and share it out! It was made by a talented designer friend of mine, Conan Johston.

http://spjefferies.com/download/SOFTIMA ... _FINAL.zip - I'll keep it online as long as I can.

I could also provide a PRO RES MOV of the animated badge, but that is fairly stylised to move like cog-work. Maybe that works for you folks anyway?

On a side note, I'd love to know what you guys think of the animation!

Cheers,

Steve

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
Moderator edit: embedded the video - HB
Last edited by SPJ on 18 Jun 2014, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Made in 'Softimage Badge' & Game of Thrones Edinburgh Intro

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Jun 2014, 17:26

The badge is a nice touch and your animation is an interesting project,
although I must admit I had to look up the Games of Thrones intro before I got it.
(Yes, I am the other guy who still hasn't watched it... :D )
You might want to link to your "behind the scenes" video also...
A little more detail on the whole production from a Softimage POV might be interesting.
So, please tell us more!

I've moved this to "Finished Work", BTW
(That's my job, basically: arbitrarily moving threads around...)

;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 18 Jun 2014, 18:14

Thanks, Hirazi Blue! I really wasn't sure where to post!

You have plenty of time to catch up with Game of Thrones now that series 4 has just finished! I'll edit the post with the behind the scenes link, good tip.

From an experienced 3D artists point of view, there might not be much in the behind the scenes of value, as I aimed it at the 'man on the street'. What would be of more interest is the production blog I kept during the project. There are over 100 posts of screen grabs and little bits about what I got up to.

The project took nine months in all, and involved a lot of modelling, texturing (and painting with Mudbox), rigging of course and a fair few ICE simulations (waterFX, aaOcean, SmokeFX, geometry instanced particles for trees and rock formations).

What might be interesting is the infographic on my blog too which shows the time spent on each stage.

Happy to take questions!

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Jun 2014, 02:53

The original games of thrones intro was 8 cg people, 4 months Maya+vray. (there are different versions) Won Emmy and VES awards

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Jun 2014, 13:04

@SPJ - The production blog indeed is rather entertaining.
What I can't find (but I as well might be missing it, I'm well-known for my bouts of temporary blindness):
what renderer did you use, how long did it actually render and how much was done "in post" (and using which software)?
;)

PS - The infographic is a nice touch also, BTW.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 19 Jun 2014, 14:48

That intro is one of the best things about GoT. Really well done.

A nice article about how it was done ... I recommend.

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/game-of-thrones/

Just for fun, a brazillian guy tried to make the intro about the Northeast of our country in C4D. It's not great and too long, but it's fun.

And the Simpsons attempt ...

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 19 Jun 2014, 15:34

For rendering I used the bundled Mental Ray renderer. I wish I could of used Arnold, it seems to be the future! The closer shots of the feature buildings averaged about 40-50 mins a frame. The sweeping map pans were lower AA settings so took a lot less time to render per frame. The one shot of the train with lots of ICE smoke took up to 6 hours a frame! Thankfully that shot wasn't on screen for long! This is all on i7 3.4Ghz / similar speced xeons.

I added post FX and composited in After Effects. Nothing too fancy, lens warp, some RGB separation around the edge of the vignette, some subtle noise. The first shot has a lens flare and lens dust added in After Effects too. It all adds to sell the final result though.

@MauricioPC great that you put the link there for the GoT article. I'd read it half way through my own project and it is a very interesting read. I had a few of my creative direction decisions confirmed from that article, and learned the 'Sun' is called an astrolabe! Recommend you guys read some of the articles on Art of the Title, very interesting.