Cheesy Rendering

Comments on finished work
ardworx

Cheesy Rendering

Post by ardworx » 11 Jun 2009, 19:38

Hi,
Yesterday night i had the idea to render a piece of cheese, but I soon had to notice that it takes a lot more work then i thought,
it took about 10 hours to get this result with a mental ray mia shader. C+C is very welcome but i wont change anything %-(
Rendertime was about 5 minutes on a quadcore with 8gig ram, rendered with XSI 7.01,
the sss effect is made via glossy refractions since i didnt geht the sss split shader to work right in v7.01, any tips how to render sss together with raytrace reflections/refractions in one pass are very welcome!
attached are several variations and wips and a screenshot of the base model that was kindly provided by stefan obst and has been modified and slightly textured with 3dcoat.
Hope U like it! :D
greetz,
ardworx

Last edited by ardworx on 11 Jun 2009, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Cheesy Rendering

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Jun 2009, 20:17

Very nice... The first rendering looks the best to me,
but that may have something to do with my personal cheese-preferences... ;)

PS - What seems to be the problem with the "split SSS" and why would you need the split version specifically for this project?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 11 Jun 2009, 20:33

Nice work man..! I think the shaders work very well. I think there is something with the mesh, where the "booleans" look too round and perfect to me...also the edges seem to be too well described...bringin in some more "noise", I think, this could become the final touch...
Again, nice work and thanks for showing...!

cheers,
oliver

ardworx

Post by ardworx » 11 Jun 2009, 20:46

thanx for the comments :)
What seems to be the problem with the "split SSS" and why would you need the split version specifically for this project?
I just noticed that there is a build in "simple sss" node, I was used to use a spdl for that purpose and that doesnt work anymore in version 7, but the build in one works fine so "DOH!!!" x_x
I think there is something with the mesh, where the "booleans" look too round and perfect to me...also the edges seem to be too well described...bringin in some more "noise", I think, this could become the final touch...
I agree on the too well described edges but dont agree with the too round holes, since that comes from bubbles they are pretty round in RL.... or at least in that piece of cheese here :P

greets,
ardworx

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 11 Jun 2009, 20:54

@ardworx

...jap, you are right..I don´t have a piece of cheese in front of my eyes...it was just a guess..I also thought about that bubbles intend to get a perfect round shape...but, as the cheese gets older, it looses weight and water...also gravity influences it..so I don´t expect them that perfect..nitpicking my friend, just nitpicking :D

...ah, I found something...
Attachments
2007-05-30_14-48-28_DerrundeLaib_preview.jpg
2007-05-30_14-48-28_DerrundeLaib_preview.jpg (13.82 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

ardworx

Post by ardworx » 11 Jun 2009, 21:01

..but, as the cheese gets older, it looses weight and water...also gravity influences it..so I don´t expect them that perfect..
hehehe, yes good point, but this is young cheese and I had gravity disabled in XSI. :D

greets,
ardworx

Endboss

Post by Endboss » 12 Jun 2009, 07:49

I particularly like the reflection on the right side.
Postings may contain traces of Houdini propaganda
http://www.grey-matter.de