some personal works heavy img content :)

Comments on finished work
Maximus

some personal works heavy img content :)

Post by Maximus » 07 May 2016, 01:19

Hey guys, some images i've done in Maxwell Render
Im lookin towards Maxwell and Redshift combination, but at the moment i wanna see how Maxwell would pull out.
I always loved the quality of it and i do really like the material system which to me is crucial to work with.

I've rendered everything over many nights with my I7 990 Extreme standard clock at 3.4ghz, 24gb ram (i know its old as hell!), windows 10. Software used Softimage 2013 only, everything modeled by me with some archmodels collection for the kitchen.

Enjoy, Max

Last edited by Maximus on 08 May 2016, 02:35, edited 2 times in total.

MauricioPC

Re: some personal works heavy img content :)

Post by MauricioPC » 07 May 2016, 02:54

Impressive render quality. Who said that Softimage isn't cut for viz? Cool work Max.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 07 May 2016, 04:31

You rock! Amazing quality, detail and style, i like everything, cant wait to see you testing Redshift!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 May 2016, 13:46

Very impressive... :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 07 May 2016, 14:06

Thank you everyone for comments! i've added some other images at the bottom i forgot to add the link was broken!

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 07 May 2016, 19:02

Amazing renders \m/

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 20 May 2016, 03:38

first one with redshift, you can find the forum thread here https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/6934/

this was 10 mins render on my 780.

Last edited by Maximus on 21 May 2016, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 21 May 2016, 18:10

Awesome stuff Maximus, i was going to say the same thing for ball but you fixed it alrdy :) I would like to hear you opinion about RS compared with other renderers like MR, Maxwell so far regards to colors and speed.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 21 May 2016, 20:09

well..its always hard for me to decide or talk about render engines because i have my real personal opinion and because there isnt the best tool..
That said, please take everything i say with a grain of salt :)

Mental ray, i dont even wanna talk about this disgrace, its dead, developers fucked up on a 360° in a colossal manner and it deserves to be dead.

Maxwell Render: i could probably talk for hours about this :) For me it is the state of the art render engine on the market. There isnt anything that goes close to its quality, but it has a very steep price which is the speed and the fact that being a freelance you wont be able to pull out a single work without a renderfarm. Materials/lights/realism is unsurpassed on maxwell, also the ease of use, the amount of materials present on libraries and the material editor web online resources is outstanding, it gives you almost perfect materials on the go, you have just to swap textures, make some adjustment and hit render.

Unfortunately the render times sometimes goes too high, i have no clue what Next Limit is going to do in the future but at the moment is extremely hard to use for normal project unless you use render farms.

Redshift: eh..impossible to resist, speed is insane, fully integrated, i had some quality/shading issue with the first RS architectural material because it resembled too much Mental Ray shading, and i dont particulary like that, fortunately they completely rewrote the shader and it will come on 2.0. The new shader gives you way more realism and you can use different brdf shading models, its an extremely nice monolitic material.

On top of that GPU for freelance and small studio is hands down the best investment, and its gonna be the future. Redshift is at the top now because developers are extremely talented and they deserve to be there, they listened and they worked hard. I'd recommend this engine over anything else at the moment, infact i've bought it right away.
Still i'd love to have Maxwell quality with Redshift speed, but hey, daydreaming isnt forbidden :)

One thing to let people understand (consider also that it highly depends on artist skill and sometimes i suck!), just a stupid comparison because that is what it is, but if you take this image i've made with Maxwell:

you have no idea how easy was for me to do that, i basically setup a glass material from the material wizard, with a green tint absorption, made couple of metals material, slapped a hdri, close up with camera > enabled multilight > hit render. Now if i were to try and replicate that image with Redshift, i suppose (i tried briefly but then i had to do other stuff so i'll let you know better when i'll try seriously) it would take me a lot of time to achieve that look, especially on the glass/light/scatter/caustic/light dispersion and realism, which that image is all about.
And this is an example why im so torn between Maxwell and any other render engine :) Bare with me Of course another artist might do the same image in few minutes with Redshift or Mental ray, but i doubt i can with the same simplicity i have done it with maxwell. I hope i was clear and honest enough :)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 23 May 2016, 16:56

Thnx man for the super detailed answer :-bd this was an interesting read! I never used Maxwell so its really helpful to have a taste of it compared to MR and RS. Its good to know that this awesome image dosnt take literally ages of tweaking!

About RS my POV (short exp : jumping from MR to RS) Redshift might be rly fast and made GI available to me and lot of ppl, and i can render stuff that was before a big no for me, but what im missing sometimes is the contrast and rich colours from MR. And i see those same colors and contrast all over in your Maxwell renders. Im not sure but so far i feel like RS is tweaked to work best with strong light sources (like light coming from windows , exteriors/daylight and so on).This is oversimplified but i feel like too much whitness is evolved sometimes when i try contrast. So far i workaround with exr render and PS tweek.

But then again RS is still young, i think they reworking even their basic shader in upcoming releases.
Hopefuly they will earn lots of money from 3dsmax users alone, i hope they get more employees, get main developers off the reply to forum duty and nail it.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 23 May 2016, 19:58

mc_axe wrote:Thnx man for the super detailed answer :-bd this was an interesting read! I never used Maxwell so its really helpful to have a taste of it compared to MR and RS. Its good to know that this awesome image dosnt take literally ages of tweaking!

About RS my POV (short exp : jumping from MR to RS) Redshift might be rly fast and made GI available to me and lot of ppl, and i can render stuff that was before a big no for me, but what im missing sometimes is the contrast and rich colours from MR. And i see those same colors and contrast all over in your Maxwell renders. Im not sure but so far i feel like RS is tweaked to work best with strong light sources (like light coming from windows , exteriors/daylight and so on).This is oversimplified but i feel like too much whitness is evolved sometimes when i try contrast. So far i workaround with exr render and PS tweek.

But then again RS is still young, i think they reworking even their basic shader in upcoming releases.
Hopefuly they will earn lots of money from 3dsmax users alone, i hope they get more employees, get main developers off the reply to forum duty and nail it.
I agree with you about colors/contrast/overall lightning and image richness, but well maxwel gives this out of the box because how it is made, with redshift you can achieve it if you are good, i've seen some really astonishing works with RS already. ARtist plays a role of course, but yes, as i said to me Maxwell is the top quality ever.