A sculpt a day

Comments on finished work
McNistor

A sculpt a day

Post by McNistor » 26 May 2016, 22:40

... keeps professional rust away.
I say.

A sculpt per day in my case is highly optimistic, but that's the way the saying goes . One per week is probably more realistic.
I'm attempting to improve the speed (hopefully quality as well) I work with in creating characters. It took me a few good hours to complete this, 3-4 or even 5 if counting shading/rendering setup and I personally find that unacceptable for this kind of work.

Image created with Zbrush, XSI and Mentalray. No textures, just a simple procedural shader - I was looking for a stone like material, got bored very soon and called it "good to go" after not a very long time fiddling within the render-tree. It is just a modeling/sculpting exercise after all.
No displacement maps, just the good old decimated mesh.

Will keep this thread updated with one image per week (at least) with the hope to continue improving my skills as well as inspiring others to do the same.

edit: Replaced the image 'cause the head was lit too poorly.

Last edited by McNistor on 27 May 2016, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Draise

Re: A sculpt a day

Post by Draise » 27 May 2016, 00:22

Hehe, it's an awesome sculpt. And I love the concept. I know a whole bunch of famous artists who have done things a day.. not just sculpts but images a day. They are always impressive.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 27 May 2016, 00:37

i never sculpted anything, so my skills on that are unexistent, i'd say its a great model for 1 day work :)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 27 May 2016, 16:49

@draise - I know, that's why I'm dissatisfied with my working speed. Not that quality is top-notch but that will come in time because, as we all know, practice makes perfect.

@maximus - thanks. You should probably try it. You might discover a new love :)

This is the 2nd img - a dog head (used german shepherd references).
Opted for the good old clay material this time due to lower render times and it also reads form a bit better I think.
Time to complete ~ 1.5 hrs

The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 28 May 2016, 03:59

Eh i aways thought you'd need at least some basic drawing/anathomy knowledge, and in general organic sculpting modeling is quite daunting.
I cant draw at all, like i draw as a 4 years old baby :)

Great model the last one!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 May 2016, 09:24

I don't think you need to know how to draw in order to model/sculpt well. In my case I've exercised my drawing skills (which are still pretty low) after I've learned traditional modeling and sculpting. Drawing is in fact just another means/technique of expressing some knowledge, as is with sub-D modeling or sculpting, but the knowledge needs to be there a priori. It's true that mastering these techniques can help you get more knowledge through experimentation, but it's not, as they say, an absolute prerequisite.

Anatomy yes, it's very helpful and dare I say a must if one intends to create believable models, even when talking about fictional creatures.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 May 2016, 12:11

Stunning sculpts so far. Keep them coming... ^:)^
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 01 Jun 2016, 17:17

No false modesty - "stunning" is a bit exaggerated, but I'm glad you like them. :)
Will keep them coming for sure.
Today I've managed to stole an hour or so from work ( :-$ ) to lay down a cat head foundation. With Universe's help, I'll be able to finish it tomorrow. :))
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jun 2016, 17:21

"Stunning" relative to the time spent per sculpt??? :p
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 02 Jun 2016, 03:32

Very nice work!

Also, because of the matcap, the dog sculpture can also look like a painting of a sculpture of a dog :p

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Jun 2016, 18:39

Thanks FXDude.
Here's another one.

-Thucydides

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Jun 2016, 17:44

goat (mouflon)

-Thucydides

Draise

Post by Draise » 28 Jun 2016, 18:01

That goat is flippin great! I was wondering how.. the daily schedule was going. Good work!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 29 Jun 2016, 16:48

Thanks...
The title is optimistic to say the least, it's more like "a sculpt a month" :p
-Thucydides