Why don't gather founds like blender to pay plugins for XSI?

Announcements concerning cooperation, job offers or job requests
xsi_fanatic

Re: Why don't gather founds like blender to pay plugins for XSI?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 03 Mar 2014, 05:27

Helli wrote:Like Eugen said.

Just let go....

Why should we stick to a dead product. Just move on, do it now and you gonna be happy you did it in a few years.
Do it then and it might be too late.

There is no sense anymore in writing plugins for Softimage. The userbase just makes it impossible for most of the devs to make a lifing out of it.
I wonder how Eric is doing. But in the end he is porting his plugins now too to maya through fabric engine.
Helli,

I understand where you're pointing at, but I have no intention on giving up so easily. I hope with time you can change your mind too.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 03 Mar 2014, 12:15

Some kind of crowd funded development is a thing Softimage contributors should consider, as far as the SDK allows it. Like Eugen stated, Soft´s SDK just gives you limited access to certain things.
Eric stated here and at the list, that he won´t stop developing for Softimage. I trust in his words ;) Of course he will look into FE, like he also hinted here and there.
As far as "letting go" and "jumping the ship now" is concerned, I would say, that there is no reason for panic, right now. And there is no general answer to it. It depends on your situation. Pipelines will change, of course, but this will take some time, and companies really have to think twice which way to go. AD really destroyed innovation and competition in the field of "high end" DCC applications, as far as I see. To me, what ever get´s the job done, will be considered, unless it is too painful, if Soft is not capable of doing it. But, like I stated several times here and there, I don´t see anything coming close right now. So let´s see, what the future brings.

cheers,
oli

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 03 Mar 2014, 13:45

Well, we could start by contributing a bit more to https://vimeo.com/80382153

I'd love to contribute to seeing further development of Anto Matkovic's Kristinka tools too.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2014, 16:26

mattmos wrote: I'd love to contribute to seeing further development of Anto Matkovic's Kristinka tools too.
By the way, this is a song, also. I think this is original, It's nostalgic reminiscence to first teenager's love that doesn't exist for a very long time. Hair, eyes, hot summer, flowers, so on. Fits nicely somewhere after fifth beer, and up. Sooo, according to state of Softimage... :)

Ok now seriously, I have for really small update, let's say version 3.2. Current is 3.1, if I'm correct. Number of small improvements, a few new hair flow generators, modifiers. Nothing significant, I'd say. Anything above, like workflow tools, scripted procedures, hard coding, that's beyond of what I'm doing.
Anyway I hope I'll post what I have, most likely sometime this summer. Site is supposed to stay on same place for next seven years, I think. There's plenty of disk space, so all reasons are to keep the same content, and more.

Regarding commercial plugins, without any false optimism, I think right now there's a 'time of plugins', as many people will try to re-direct their subscription money into something else.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 03 Mar 2014, 16:32

The question is not if move on or not. The question is DIFFERENT.
XSI still have the fastest interface even maded for a 3d program (and every one here know this).
For me, and my studio (we are 6 people) XSI mean work FAST, absolutely FAST.
I had in the past other members of the crew (guys very skilled) that wansn't able to produce the same as inside XSI (users of maya or max)
For me XSI mean first of all GAIN TIME respect to every other app.
For this reason i want to keep long as i can XSI. I'm shure that in the future XSI (first or later) will be changed, but now, actually, i don't see noting fast like XSI around. (and please don't say modo....)

So, the purpose of my idea is not to keep alive XSI but make it better (also because XSI, for the next 5/6 years can go on without problemens)
I work 14 hour x day with XSI,and the crew of my studio too. Is not a caprice of me.
But really XSI is instrument to WORK FAST. I can't spend one month to produce the same asset tha inside xsi is ready in 12 days....

So thank you for you suggestion, if you want join us, you are welcome! Choose too something you need, and we can try, why not?
We can do it.
Please still chose a feature. We can discuss it in different topic once we reache enought interest we will plan HOW to go on.

Thank you every one!

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 03 Mar 2014, 19:12

Mathaeus wrote:
mattmos wrote: I'd love to contribute to seeing further development of Anto Matkovic's Kristinka tools too.
By the way, this is a song, also. I think this is original, It's nostalgic reminiscence to first teenager's love that doesn't exist for a very long time. Hair, eyes, hot summer, flowers, so on. Fits nicely somewhere after fifth beer, and up. Sooo, according to state of Softimage... :)

Ok now seriously, I have for really small update, let's say version 3.2. Current is 3.1, if I'm correct. Number of small improvements, a few new hair flow generators, modifiers. Nothing significant, I'd say. Anything above, like workflow tools, scripted procedures, hard coding, that's beyond of what I'm doing.
Anyway I hope I'll post what I have, most likely sometime this summer. Site is supposed to stay on same place for next seven years, I think. There's plenty of disk space, so all reasons are to keep the same content, and more.

Regarding commercial plugins, without any false optimism, I think right now there's a 'time of plugins', as many people will try to re-direct their subscription money into something else.
Mathaeus,

While you continue to amaze us with Kristinka, I have to say your tool lacks proper explanation and a video tutorial.

1- How to install the plugin and get started with it
2- A comprehensive video on how to use it to generate long hair, and create simulation.

Is there anything I can do to help make that video tutorial possible ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Mar 2014, 10:27

xsi_fanatic wrote:
While you continue to amaze us with Kristinka, I have to say your tool lacks proper explanation and a video tutorial.

2- A comprehensive video on how to use it to generate long hair, and create simulation.

Thank You kindly for nice words
1: well , no big deal to put everything into xsi addon or something
2: about simulation, I think it would be better from my side, to supply the setup for attaching guides to curves, a kind of Frenet frame interpolation along curves as well. Should be much simpler setup, than one with mesh stripes. Together with necessary changes under the hood, in order to get it to work smoothly. Current structure, actually, isn't friendly in case of self-collision.

Long video tutorials - no hope for my side. If anyone else have plans, great.

As I already said, I hope this will happen during (this) summer. Right now, my free time is occupied by Maya, as I already know how I'll be able to utilize this knowledge. Now I believe I become a Cylon before few years when I played intensively with 3Delight. Anyway this date is irrelevant, now , as they activated me gently, just few weeks before yesterday.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 Mar 2014, 01:55

Mathaeus wrote:
xsi_fanatic wrote:

Thank You kindly for nice words
1: well , no big deal to put everything into xsi addon or something
2: about simulation, I think it would be better from my side, to supply the setup for attaching guides to curves, a kind of Frenet frame interpolation along curves as well. Should be much simpler setup, than one with mesh stripes. Together with necessary changes under the hood, in order to get it to work smoothly. Current structure, actually, isn't friendly in case of self-collision.

Long video tutorials - no hope for my side. If anyone else have plans, great.

As I already said, I hope this will happen during (this) summer. Right now, my free time is occupied by Maya, as I already know how I'll be able to utilize this knowledge. Now I believe I become a Cylon before few years when I played intensively with 3Delight. Anyway this date is irrelevant, now , as they activated me gently, just few weeks before yesterday.

Well, in any case, if you're willing to show me personally how to use Kristinka, I will be more than happy to create a comprehensive video tutorial on how to use it. I am actually doing something similar in my professional job.

myara

Post by myara » 07 Mar 2014, 17:35

As a user, new plugins for a beautiful but dead software is great. We can use it a few more years. It just sounds great !

But as a developer, writing tools for a dead software doesn't look very profitable specially in long term. I don't know the statistical facts but the number of SI users willing to pay for these plugins isn't big enough to support the idea. And, the number of SI users will exponentially decrease in the next months.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

waffleface

Post by waffleface » 14 Mar 2014, 23:43

I'd be down to pitch in what money I can spare for a simillar effort, but not for a plug-in for a dead software.

I'd love it if it were an effective all in one plug-in for Maya (or Max) that brings Maya up to Soft standards (the hotkeys we love with the tools working the way we remember, and a much needed Softimage clone of the Render Tree to replace Maya's horrid default Hypershade) - A Maya plug-in that gives us the out of the box feel and interface we all know and love, that's a project really worth funding, I would definitely pitch in for that, DOOO IT!! It will make a fortune.

I think that would be awesome if it succeeded and got enough funding and the right devs behind it. If you want to involve me that'd be great, if not, that's great too, just DOOO IT!!!!