Re: Softimage Protest film

Post by cheeseburger » 13 Mar 2014, 03:05

Need any help let me know ...

Great idea !

cheeseburger

Paulo Duarte

Post by Paulo Duarte » 13 Mar 2014, 05:09

I liked the idea of Paul, I think it has to be refined, because in some shots can be very complex.

I have an idea that I would like to share:
The action takes place on a war battlefield, 2 tanks advancing in the field, one represents 3dsMax other Maya, each one with a characteristic weapon which best represents each software, for example the tank 3dsMax has a flamethrower (FumeFX), the tank Maya has multiple mechanical arms (Rigging and animation), these 2 tanks are having difficulties in battle, then comes the tank Softimage, with various weapons, more modern, more agile...
So the 3 tanks begin to advance in the field together, destroying bunkers passing across walls, then comes the captain who coordinates the tanks, orders the 3 to stop, asks for the team that is inside the Softimage tank to get out, half enters in the 3dsMax tank and other half in Maya tank. After, ordering the 2 tanks (Max and Maya) to continue advance in the battlefield, and the Softimage tank is left behind, in the subsequent battle the two tanks, (Max and Maya) don't have enough weapons to counter attack and are both annihilated. Then the animation ends showing the Tank Softimage super modern with lots of weapons, abandoned in the middle of the battlefield, ready to the battle, but no one to control.

It's just an idea, also the Greg Mutt could be the soldiers.

Visual Reference:
World of Tanks: Endless War 2013

Cheers.
Paulo Duarte

sattish

Post by sattish » 13 Mar 2014, 08:37

My Idea for the film would be, Some Roman / Medieval type setting which portraits AD as a tyrant, fat and ugly, covered in gold, sitting in an arena with three warriors fighting, representing max, maya and xsi.. and this tyrant watches them fight, with crowds jeering for maya and max warriors in the beginning :D by the end, when the 'xsi warrior' seems to be having an upper hand and the crowds start to love his moves and start cheering for him, this tyrant stops the fight and orders his soldiers to get hold of the warrior and behead him. we can close the shot with the tyrant's evil snickering and the crowds silent and mourning the death .. :(

Alen

Post by Alen » 13 Mar 2014, 08:47

Pooby idea is having more impact imho!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 13 Mar 2014, 10:17

I designed the original idea so that it would accomodate a really wide variety of styles. representing all the different work that is being done with Softimage. This is why I didn't go for anything too specific.
Also.. I dont think it should be a visual metaphor for what Autodesk have done to Softimage- thats depressing. It should be a visual metaphor of what we are doing right now.. IE . us joining together and making this film as I think That is uplifting.

At its heart, its just characters going somewhere with purpose to make a stand, and to make it look epic, so its almost an open brief. I also think that the wider public will enjoy watching it, even though they have no interest in 'CGI geeks grumbling about software'

I think it needs to appeal on more than 1 level, and be a celebration of our work too.
Last edited by Pooby on 13 Mar 2014, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 13 Mar 2014, 11:41

Thank you very much for adding me, im all ideas:
Hidden content: [ Show ]
But lets stay on your concept i like it , apart from the small varius characters, id like to see more godjilla sized ones joining in the end
as exaggeration.
The big ones can be also some classic figures from the well known movies (made with Softimage)
some dinasaur from Jurasic park?
titanic? it self, entering the scene,
all this before the buzzer hit.

Its a shame to kill a vegeterian dino right? or leo di caprio again,, lol

Also it would be not bad to have some fans from those classic movies supporting us. ;)
-------------------
Apart from the scenario, how do you plan to manage all those artists? and where are they, do we have some hidden headquorters?

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 13 Mar 2014, 13:58

I like the idea, Paul!

The Autodesk HQ at the end remembers me something like the monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey", though...

Paulo Duarte

Post by Paulo Duarte » 13 Mar 2014, 15:36

Pooby wrote: I also think that the wider public will enjoy watching it, even though they have no interest in 'CGI geeks grumbling about software'
I think it needs to appeal on more than 1 level, and be a celebration of our work too.
Right, I agree with that.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 13 Mar 2014, 16:13

If you are serious about joining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

(from Doeke Wartena)

Atm, it's a mess. I need everyone that's on the list to clear his own row. That is, removing the number in front. Fill in your skills, add your email, county and city.
After it is more complete i will send you guys invites to the teamwork project site.

Don't wait to long with filling it in, i will make the document private in a few days. Also i will make a google docs folder for the project by then.

If your not on the list but you want to help then add yourself.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 14 Mar 2014, 05:15

I want to join in, even if it means a single model. How can I do that?

My skills as generalist : Modeling, shading, Rigging and ICE tools, Animation, Rendering(MR only), Compositing.

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 14 Mar 2014, 10:30

Where will take place the discussions about the making of this short movie? there shoukd be different sections: story, storyboard, etc.

clyder

Post by clyder » 14 Mar 2014, 14:37

I have just added myself and my colleague. We both use softimage for few years now (since the 5.0 version).
If he has to input his details himself please let me know. Dusko Bajic and Nenad Cocic (me).

I think this is a great idea and if we can help in a smallest way it would be great.

I am more technical oriented:
3D---modeling, rendering, animation (not so good with characters), little bit of ice, and work as a composite artist in After Effects much longer then in 3D.
He is more creative oriented, primary skill is drawing and illustration (various styles) but have lots of experience using SI also (mostly modeling, texturing, rendering and character animation)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 15 Mar 2014, 03:17

the list is growing with some amazing additions *not me lol ,

clankill3r

Post by clankill3r » 15 Mar 2014, 18:38

Just add yourself to the bottom of the list:

You will then be invited to the project. We have around 50/60 people atm.

scrubjay

Post by scrubjay » 16 Mar 2014, 02:51

Let the banners fly:

FREE SOFTIMAGE

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 03 Apr 2014, 17:05

Hey fareed you got invited to the main site of the project right?