New Survey for Sculpting Plugin

Announcements concerning cooperation, job offers or job requests
xsi_fanatic

New Survey for Sculpting Plugin

Post by xsi_fanatic » 24 Jul 2016, 01:22

Hello Everyone,

Based on my previous survey, most of the requests involved a Sculpting plugin.

I got in touch with several developers and they feel that this is one of the least risky road to take based on our EOL status.

For a Sculpting tool, it could take at least 2 months to have something with the core functionality running in a beta stage.

I just created a new survey to gather some more information regarding this matter. Kindly take a moment to fill it out, as this will give us a better idea of what decision to make next.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8PXHDR8

Best Regards,
Jason

mc_axe

Re: New Survey for Sculpting Plugin

Post by mc_axe » 26 Jul 2016, 14:09

Hey J - can you list some popular suggestions?

Pure curiosity :D

rray

Post by rray » 26 Jul 2016, 14:46

Ahmidou did a sculpting plugin, maybe it helps you get started:
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =13&t=1735

It works on frozen objects only, I think SI lacks the API support to do sculpts "live".
-ray
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 27 Jul 2016, 05:25

mc_axe wrote:Hey J - can you list some popular suggestions?

Pure curiosity :D
Most of what was requested is standard across all sculpting applications. The ones that stand out are requests for retopology and auto retopology solutions.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 27 Jul 2016, 12:51

Hey Jason!

Thanks for your passion, but does it really make any sense to start sculpting plugin for Softimage, as there are so many applications out there, that already do this, and I guess, better than it will ever get inside of Softimage?

Don´t get me wrong, but the highest number of requests do not mean, it makes sense to develop something like this.
I would tackle more "easy" tasks that were on the list and where is really room to improve things. Just my 2 cents ;)

cheers,
oli

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 27 Jul 2016, 21:44

owei wrote:Hey Jason!

Thanks for your passion, but does it really make any sense to start sculpting plugin for Softimage, as there are so many applications out there, that already do this, and I guess, better than it will ever get inside of Softimage?

Don´t get me wrong, but the highest number of requests do not mean, it makes sense to develop something like this.
I would tackle more "easy" tasks that were on the list and where is really room to improve things. Just my 2 cents ;)

cheers,
oli
Hi Owei,

I'm open to suggestions. What would you recommend or suggest ?

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 27 Jul 2016, 22:54

Here is my suggestion for crowdfunding and development of SI:

1)Setup an interactive type of Donation - do everything in public let ppl see numbers
2)Split the incoming budged wisely for example 50% dedicated for quick development of small tools and 50% for heavier projects
3)Call everyone fans and devs to suggest whatever they want to see inside softimage in a big thread or smthing.
4)Contact devs or let them come and make offers to develop some of the suggestions.
5)Pick up worthy offers and add them in the "worthy light list" and the "worthy heavy list".
6)When the budgets are good make decisive polls every now and then - Let the public decide where money goes, what development should start first in favor of others(to avoid whining).
7) Then you give the green light to developers they start and you pay them when they done or smthing.
8) Give all generated plugins free (except the ones that state clearly in the offer differently)

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 27 Jul 2016, 23:43

mc_axe wrote:Here is my suggestion for crowdfunding and development of SI:

1)Setup an interactive type of Donation - do everything in public let ppl see numbers
2)Split the incoming budged wisely for example 50% dedicated for quick development of small tools and 50% for heavier projects
3)Call everyone fans and devs to suggest whatever they want to see inside softimage in a big thread or smthing.
4)Contact devs or let them come and make offers to develop some of the suggestions.
5)Pick up worthy offers and add them in the "worthy light list" and the "worthy heavy list".
6)When the budgets are good make decisive polls every now and then - Let the public decide where money goes, what development should start first in favor of others(to avoid whining).
7) Then you give the green light to developers they start and you pay them when they done or smthing.
8) Give all generated plugins free (except the ones that state clearly in the offer differently)
I'm open to the idea and that's what I had in mind in the first place. Do you know any interactive donation platform besides Kickstarter ? I believe Kickstarter requires a deadline which will halt the project every time we don't meet the minimum budget. Plus they take 20% of the total fund every time a project is executed, which is a lot if you ask me.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 28 Jul 2016, 03:08

xsi_fanatic wrote:
mc_axe wrote:Here is my suggestion for crowdfunding and development of SI:

I'm open to the idea and that's what I had in mind in the first place. Do you know any interactive donation platform besides Kickstarter ? I believe Kickstarter requires a deadline which will halt the project every time we don't meet the minimum budget. Plus they take 20% of the total fund every time a project is executed, which is a lot if you ask me.
I think you wont find something automated that manages crowdfunding from a single donation to multiple projects, and kickstarter is kinda meh for this..

So maybe you can jsut start with a paypal donation button that can be anywhere online, use forum mainly and fb for anouncments/threads.
Use online spreadsheeds like this one to let ppl know, how donations go. Or make another spreadsheet to list good offers from developers
And lastly use surveys for polls to let ppl deside.