Skill Exchange (WIN WIN CO OP)

Announcements concerning cooperation, job offers or job requests
mc_axe

Skill Exchange (WIN WIN CO OP)

Post by mc_axe » 01 Oct 2016, 01:17

Sometimes we get too attached to our favorite apps, after years we feel bound by our specialties.There are only a few people that truly have the stamina to constantly research learn new skills etc. Iv seen how sparse was the skill table when we tried to make a film with 160 volunteers. I reckon that high level skills are result of really hard work. But most of users that want to learn something new they just want to get boosted with the basics. This thread tries to get people together in a win win situation. It will work like this:

Post what you want to learn and share what you can teach in exchange. Use these 2 tags please

Example:

WANT2KNOW: Basics on: (skill A, app B), Advanced skill X
CANTEACH :Basics on: (skill C, app D), Advanced skill Z

Then a guy that likes an exchange, can reply and if both parties agree, send pms, arange a meeting on Skype etc.

Bullit

Re: Skill Exchange (WIN WIN CO OP)

Post by Bullit » 01 Oct 2016, 19:25

I sorry to drop a bit of cold water but structuring ways to teach something is not something simple.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 01 Oct 2016, 19:54

I know Bullit i only had 1 or 2 good teachers so far in my entire life :P, but im not looking for perfect teachers, just small boosts, a small session in start, one hour split in half maybe .
First half hour you learn and the other half you teach, if it works extend or w/e
(Im not trying to make rules btw, you guys make the rules)

One time i just watched a friend retopo a model within SI he had a few scripts that i didnt have and a pen tablet, he didnt talk that much but answered all my questions, felt 100xtimes better than any tutorial. Cause i could ask at any second whatever stupid question i had in mind. So you dont need to just watch and listen you can just jump in at any point. You are not restricted so much by teaching ability cause its an interaction not a recorder video or some guru teacher that dont like interruptions. I think its a win win, and even if you dont get half of what you had in mind you still win because it was was free.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 04 Oct 2016, 03:06

OK let me give you an example

CANTEACH B-) :
  • Intro to Softimage UI and some elaboration on architecture the explorer and fields of your interest.
    Light and rendering fundamentals (different types of lights shadows ambience, soft shadows, global ilum, amboc, etc and rendering techniques and the importance of having a few renderers at same time)
    SI Render tree materials clusters basic shaders and baby steps on textures.
    UV editing inside SI (UV Editor etc), and why they had to create UDIM and ptex
    The basic difference in the classic approach vs the next gen aproach on shaders(esp games), catch up before trying substance etc
    Polygonal modeling fundamentals (components, basic editing primitive shapes deformrs etc)
    SubD hard surface modeling (use, hard edges, subd levels, known bugs, cons pros etc).
    Topology basics why topology maters.
    Preview Redshift renderer capabilities advantages and disadvantages over MR.
WANT2LEARN ~x( :
  • Custom Rigs & animation or any proper intoduction to that subject
    Construction Modes and their importance
    Fundamentals to start learning ICE properly
    How to start learning scripting, (i have baby knowledge of jscript and python)
    VDB clouds with RS
    photogrametry recomended software equipment
    intro to zbrush&UI how to not get lost and quit after 1 day
after effects intro
etc

i will update later

Draise

Post by Draise » 04 Oct 2016, 07:57

I guess I could do an exchange - it's an exchange right? . Seems like a fun idea.

I noticed you teach:
WANT2KNOW:
-Topology basics why topology maters.
-Preview Redshift renderer capabilities advantages and disadvantages over MR.

I can exchange what you know for one of the following you were looking for:
CANTEACH
-Custom Rigs & animation or any proper intoduction to that subject - I've taught this one before to a couple of people, they knew NOTHING then made a fun aniamtion with a custom rig
-Fundamentals to start learning ICE properly - basic stuff like transforms, kinematics, basic math, shape driving, get/set workflows, etc
-How to start learning scripting, (i have baby knowledge of jscript and python) - albeit in SI only, useful tips for repetitive work

I can't say I'm great at what you'd like to learn, but hey! Could be a start.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 04 Oct 2016, 18:18

Awesome! :ymparty:

Exactly its a simple exchange, and could be fun, thx for posting Draise
Im not gr8 either, but lets give it a go :P

Lets talk more with pms

Draise

Post by Draise » 05 Oct 2016, 21:39

Well we agreed to do a 30min to 30min hour session every now and then to go through what we know. Topology/Retopology for Rigging and the basics of animation. I am not pro at either, but we'll give it a try! Why not!?

My course summery: CANTEACH
Rigging
1. Rigging introduction: Summery of what it is and what are the components and options in Softimage
2. Preparing a mesh for rigging - topology guidelines and planning
3. Setting up the basic components of the rig - chains
4. Learning Constraints - Creating controls
5. Working with expressions - Using Lattices
6. Working with Shapes
7. ICE introduction - Driving Parameters
7b. ICE Parenting and Kinematics (optional, I am not very good with this one yet)
8. Creating a shape driver with ICE
9. Creating Parameters and finising up the rig
10. Using GEAR_MC - installation and use (optional)
10.b Pro's and Con's of using Autoriggers

Animation
1. Animation Introduction - Interface and Summery
1a. Basics of the 12 animation principles (optional)
2. Keyframe animation - Keysets and Tips and tricks
3. Dopesheet
3. Fcurve animation and Interpolation - Paths workflows
4. Creating an Animation Clip workflow with Animation Layers
5. Blocking tips and tricks
6. Finetuning tips and tricks
7. Creating an animation library
8. Rig finetuning workflow tips and tricks

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 05 Oct 2016, 22:41

I will also give details on the topics that are hot right now!

CANTEACH:
Topology fundamentals :
  • Info:The lesson is rly low level (meaning low level like in programming), so its about polygonal modeling inside SI, target is to send a good base model to apps like zBrush to take maximum advantage of your model on a higher level, or use in general a good model as base to create HR models. This lesson will help you to begin with retopo and hard surface.

Also in the topic:
    Why Triangles are everywhere.
    Identify different types of topo
    Where each type of topo is useful or bad
    Why modelers are obsessed with quads
    How to properly add components, to shape things like: a circle within quads (maybe an eye), or a mouth, without destroying a good topo.
    How to jump from less density to more and the oposite(preserving quads).
    Connections - stitching of patches and how this adds versatility
    Importance of Quads Loops and patches
    Reverse engineer an existing topology (Understand what another artist did right there)
    Create a very basic demo model like an ugly head or smthing
    How important is a good topo to hard surface
    Visual Bugs caused by bad topo
Basic intro to Redshift and comparison with MR
  • Will edit this one later.
Last edited by mc_axe on 11 Oct 2016, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

Draise

Post by Draise » 11 Oct 2016, 07:35

We did a test session for an hour, recorded the Skype and Desktop on one end, and now it's uploading. It was quite fun - not a bad start! \m/

Draise

Post by Draise » 11 Oct 2016, 22:22

Skill Exchange_01 (WIN WIN CO-OP) - Rigging 01 for Topology 01

I have joined up with another SI user MC_Axe to do a knowledge exchange over an hour every now and then. This is our first attempt - finally rendered with the Skype audio and desktop recording. Framerate is low, but it works.

Below you can see a bit of what I will start teaching. Topics covered are marked with a "-DONE".

Rigging
1. Rigging introduction: Summery of what it is and what are the components and options in Softimage - DONE
2. Preparing a mesh for rigging - topology guidelines and planning
3. Setting up the basic components of the rig - chains
4. Learning Constraints - Creating controls
5. Working with expressions - Using Lattices
6. Working with Shapes
7. ICE introduction - Driving Parameters
7b. ICE Parenting and Kinematics (optional, I am not very good with this one yet)
8. Creating a shape driver with ICE
9. Creating Parameters and finising up the rig
10. Using GEAR_MC - installation and use (optional)
10.b Pro's and Con's of using Autoriggers

Animation
1. Animation Introduction - Interface and Summery
1a. Basics of the 12 animation principles (optional)
2. Keyframe animation - Keysets and Tips and tricks
3. Dopesheet
3. Fcurve animation and Interpolation - Paths workflows
4. Creating an Animation Clip workflow with Animation Layers
5. Blocking tips and tricks
6. Finetuning tips and tricks
7. Creating an animation library
8. Rig finetuning workflow tips and tricks

In turn, in the second half of the video, you will see MC_Axe teach the following:

Topology fundamentals :

Info:The lesson is rly low level (meaning low level like in programming), so its about polygonal modeling inside SI, target is to send a good base model to apps like zBrush to take maximum advantage of your model on a higher level, or use in general a good model as base to create HR models. This lesson will help you to begin with retopo and hard surface.

Also in the topic:
Why Triangles are everywhere. - DONE
Identify different types of topo - DONE
Where each type of topo is useful or bad - DONE
Why modelers are obsessed with quads - DONE
How to properly add components, to shape things like: a circle within quads (maybe an eye), or a mouth, without destroying a good topo.- DONE
How to jump from less density to more and the oposite(preserving quads).-DONE
Connections - stitching of patches and how this adds versatility
Importance of Quads Loops and patches -DONE
Create a very basic demo model like an ugly head or smthing
How important is a good topo to hard surface
Visual Bugs caused by bad topo

Basic intro to Redshift and comparison with MR

Will edit this one later.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 11 Oct 2016, 23:53

:-

Some points i need to clear out for this video (First session of skill exchange):

-When Draise asked for a tool that connect vertices that are close automatically (with respect to quads), i said dont think, but i really dont know, it might be doable somehow maybe in a few steps.
-When i asked some awkward question around 12:30, i wanted to ask if morph targets (or morphing) is same thing with shape deformations. I think i got this terminology from 3dstudio or something, been years since then.
-Also (around 51:50): "How you connect the dots" is a truly BAD definition for topology (i want to kill my self for that). Thats only one aspect of topology if you had fixed vertexes that a mafia boss is not allowing you to touch. We can always change vertices according to our needs to support the type of topology that we have in mind.
-Next session ill run through "going from less detail to more" again, ill split that in categories, to make it much more clear.

Sound accent and rhythm, will be better next time :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Oct 2016, 11:27

Great initiative... :ymhug:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Firebird

Post by Firebird » 12 Oct 2016, 11:31

Wow well done guys. :-bd
Great initiative

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 19 Oct 2016, 17:58

Y/day we did another Skill Exchange session, 45 to 45 minutes (topology for rigs&anim 02)

The lessons are quite successful in terms of learning new stuff or understanding best practices, or things that you did completely wrong in the past,.
Im now at the point were i have to prepare a dancing smiling drunk can of beer model, with a proper topology in terms of animation, and we are about to start a custom rig, and that is cool, cause i never did a custom rig before ever.

Also im supposedly "the teacher" in topology, but i learn as well in the process, i clear things in my head. Also topology is related to animation so the two topics came together. I strongly encourage more ppl to try this skill exchange thingy. And recording sessions is optional of course.

Now this time we have better resolution for the video, but i think i need a new mic :( cause is sound like im inside a jet turbine, Draise sounds perfect, i might dubb my self heheh :)

Draise

Post by Draise » 22 Nov 2016, 09:37

Finally edited the audio and slapped the video together. Tomorrow I'll be uploading! Thanks for the wait guys, I know you've been looking forward to our novice approach to professional topics! \m/

I had to finish a pending deadline before I could do it.. but now... back on track!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 23 Nov 2016, 22:30

Hello everyone here is the new session! :D
Today, we both talk about topology in an expanded way building off the previous lessons - and we start studying Chains for rigging in Softimage.
Or actually more drunk spider web creations, and a nice intro to rigging within Soft

Read more here:
Hidden content: [ Show ]
In this video:
  • We try to give a better definition for Topology :p
  • Explain in more depth how we jump from less to more complexity across polygonal surfaces (that use only quads), we identify the tools and split in categories
  • Learn how to start "reverse engineering" a random topology wireframe picture from net, so you can see what going on and learn something from it!
    --
  • We explaining and presenting components and elements used in rigging and animation with simple examples within Softimage, alot of stuff actually like:
    skeletons, bones, Effectors, FK IK, rotation limits, 3d vs 2d chains, basics of using the weight tool and weight panel,
    explain the use of shadow rigs vs chains,
  • Uniaxis and elbow topology ,rules of thumb the relation between animation and topology.
  • And many more,, i forgot xD
Thats it pretty reach in content but super eazy to cope with.
Hope u guyz enjoy, Cheers!