XGoZ plugin: Single Click Softimage to Zbrush to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

XGoZAuthor: Kostas Roukis
A 1-click solution for transferring Meshes between ZBrush and Softimage. Does mutiple subtools, transfers the texture, normal and the displacement map, and sets up a finished render tree for the object.

Note this plugin is an early version of Kostas' GoZ plugin, which is the official ZBrush GoZ plugin for Softimage.

Related plugins: GoSoftimageLite, GoZ

local backup: XGoZ Plugin Single Click.zip

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

XGoZ plugin: Single Click Softimage to Zbrush to Softimage

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Jun 2011, 20:58

kostasph presents his XGoZ plugin for Softimage.
XGoZ Plugin.zip

XGoZ is another approach to link Zbrush with Softimage like GoZ. This first attempt is not a Single Click workflow but provides Functions to Export - Import Multiple Objs between two applications and automatically set up shading networks in Softimage.

This Version does not contain any compiled dll, just jscript scripting so I think that works in Most Softimage Versions.

About the Concept:
XGoZ plugin provides Multiple Subtools Function, Texture Map, Displacement Map and Normal Map Set up. The idea is to establish the link through Log Files containing the list of Last Exported Objs from each Application. Every time a user changes Project or creates a new one in Softimage, XGoZFolder is added (if doesn’t exist) at this active Softimage Project. A dat file (in the XGoZFolderData folder) informs XGoZ about the active path. This XGoZFolder is the one that will hold the exported objs, Maps and the Log Files.
I decided to use log files instead of reading all files directly from XGoZFolder because I wanted to deal with last exported objs only, without deleting any other file except overwriting existing files during export. Doing so I can choose the file(s) I want to transfer. In addition XGoZFolder is Project Based and gives me the option to work on a different Project without losing my previous work. At least I think so…Maybe there is a better way…

Installation:

Download the Zip File : XGoZ Plugin.zip. [See below this quoted text - HB]

The XGoZ Plugin folder contains the files XGoZ.xsiaddon and XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder.

1. Copy XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder to the ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs folder.

2. Drag and Drop XGoZ.xsiaddon on a Softimage viewport.

3. Restart Softimage Go to File -> Preferences -> Custom -> XGozFolderDataSettings and pick your ZBrush 4.0 folder.

4. Find “XGoZ Export” and “XGoZ Import” under Get-> Primitive menu or get the XGoZ toolbar under menu View-> Toolbars->XGoZ.

5. Start ZBrush and find the XGoZ Plugin under Zplugin menu.

Workflow:

Step 1 (Softimage):

Select one or more Polymesh(es) and press “XGoZ Export” to export Selected meshes as Objs to XGoZFolder.
The XSIexportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs.

Step 2 (Zbrush):

Press “Import All XGoZ” Button to Import Last Exported Objs From Softimage.
Zbrush reads XSIexportedFiles.Log and imports all Obj Files. If there are more than one Objs they will be added as Subtools to the first imported Obj.
In case you already have a 3d mesh active as Current Tool, XGoZ will check if a Subtool has the same name as an Obj in the Log and it will update the Subtool. Else Objs will be added as new Subtools at the end of Subtool list.

Press “StoreMTAll” if you want to Store Morph Target for the imported meshes.
XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and store MT, only if the Subtool has not a MT stored and it will set the Subdivision back to its prior Level.

Do your Stuff … Create Maps if you want…and…

Press “SwitchMTAll” if you want to Switch Morph Target before export.
XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and Switch MT only if the Subtool has a MT stored .It will leave the Subdivision at Level 1.

Step 3 (Zbrush):

Press “Export All XGoZ” Button to Export all Subtools to XGoZFolder.
XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and Export all Subtools.The ZBExportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs and their Maps (if they exist).

Or…

Press “Export Visible XGoZ” Button to Export all Visible Subtools to XGoZFolder.
The ZBExportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs and their Maps (if they exist). If your Tool has only one Subtool (it is just a single mesh Tool), XGoZ will ask you if you want to export it. In case you click “Ok Export”, XGoZ will export it ignoring its visibility!

Step 4 (Softimage):

Press “XGoZ Import” Button to Import Last Exported Objs From Zbrush.
XGoZ reads ZBExportedFiles.Log and imports Objs. If there is a mesh in the scene that has the same name as an Obj in the Log, XGoZ deletes the old mesh and its shading network (clears all unused image clips, sources and Materials) and replaces the old mesh with the new one. In addition a new Render Tree is created, if corresponding Maps exist and the Shading Network is named based on each obj name. Import Function tries to maintain hierarchy and animation.
Now For The update with the Single Click Action: XGoZ Plugin Single Click.zip and XGoZ Plugin Single Click v2012.zip [Download - see below this quote - HB]

This update includes XGoZService for establishing Single Click connection between ZBrush And Softimage through UdpProtocol. XGoZService starts on Softimage startup but you can stop it calling XGoZServiceStop command. You can enable it again calling XGoZServiceStart command. The Connection uses the local host “127.0.0.1” and the port “11001”.

Softimage Additions:

XGoZOneClick Toolbar.
XGoZServiceStart custom command.
XGoZServiceStop custom command.
XGoZSendToZB custom command.
XGoZSendToZB menu.
ZBrush XGoZ Updates:
The XGoZ Buttons have been rearranged and the export Buttons are now on the top.
Added XGoZ Button to Send current Subtool to Softimage on Single Click.
Export Buttons have been updated For Single Click action.
Installation:

Remove the old installation!!!

Copy XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder to the ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs folder.
Drag and Drop XGoZ.xsiaddon on a Softimage viewport.
Restart Softimage Go to File -> Preferences -> Custom -> XGozFolderDataSettings and pick your ZBrush 4.0 folder. Close Preferences to inform XGoZ for your Softimage startup path (bin folder)!
Find “XGoZ Send To ZB” under Get-> Primitive menu or get the XGoZOneClick toolbar under menu View-> Toolbars-> XGoZOneClick.
Assign Zscript files “.zsc” to open with ZBrush (set ZBrush executable as the default application)
Workflow changes:

When you want to send your selected mesh(es) to ZBrush click the “XGoZ Send To ZB” or the icon in the toolbar “XGoZOneClick”. ZBrush will import your 3dObject(s). If it is not running it will start and import the 3dObject(s).

When you want to send your Subtool(s) to Softimage click the “XGoZ” (or “Export All XGoZ” or “Export Visible XGoZ” ) Button. Softimage imports your 3dObject(s). If it is not running it will start and then import the 3dObject(s). This is accomplished with the ZBtoXSI.exe , which is an Udpclient, so must allow it to access the local host and port 11001.

Remarks
You will need Microsoft.Net Framework 4..

XGoZFolderData now contains ZBtoXSI.exe , XGoZAutoImport.zsc, XsiPath.dat, and the ActiveXsiProject.dat.

I have tested it with Softimage 7.01 and it works.
I have tested it with Mod Tool 6 also and it works.
I have tested it with XSI Foundation 6.02 and it works.

Added version for Softimage v2012 (XGoZ Plugin Single Click v2012.zip) - tested and works.

As always use it at your own risk.

Best regards,
Kostas
si-community download links:
The "original": XGoZ Plugin.zip
The "One Click Action" version: XGoZ Plugin Single Click.zip
The 2012 version of the "One Click Action" version: XGoZ Plugin Single Click v2012.zip
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kostasph

Re: XGoZ plugin: Single Click Softimage to Zbrush to Softimage

Post by kostasph » 01 Jul 2011, 00:21

Thank you !!!
I have sent the files.
I hope to be useful for the community.

I would like to tell me your opinion and your suggestions also.

Best Regards
Kostas

Leo

Post by Leo » 01 Jul 2011, 02:23

This deserves a header space. Pure gold! Thank you for taking the time to create this great tool for the community.

Memag

Post by Memag » 06 Jul 2011, 13:40

Thanks a bunch!

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 06 Jul 2011, 15:43

Does it work with 2012SP1 64bit?
- H -

colour

Post by colour » 22 Jul 2011, 16:59

Hi guys

I tried it on 2011 ap win 64, and 2012 sp1 64bit and on both it says that it was compiled on another version, so no luck here.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jul 2011, 13:59

I forwarded your message per PM to the author of the plugin.
ATM that's all I can do, sadly...
Maybe other people could confirm this error (or tell us it works flawlessly, as the case may be)...
(For lack of a ZBrush license, I can't test this myself...)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Memag

Post by Memag » 23 Jul 2011, 16:58

2012 SP1 64bit, can't export/update xGoZ folder.
"UpdateXGoZActiveProjectPath" Jscript is no go.

Exporting from zbrush has issues with folder path which is located at Xsi7.01 installation on C drive.
Don't know how to change it.

kostasph

Post by kostasph » 24 Jul 2011, 21:42

Hi !!! :)
Thank you All for your feedback about XGoZ.
Sorry for the delay ... I was a couple of miles away from my pc these days...

SreckoM, colour:
I don't think it will fully work on Softimage 2012 SP1 and Softimage 2011 since XGoZService.dll is compiled for specific versions. It can work only in a semiautomatic way ( from Softimage to ZBrush). Just Remove XGoZService.dll from your users Addons>XGoZ>Application>Plugins Folder and ZBtoXSI.exe from XGoZFolderData folder in your Zplugs Folder.

F.Y.I. :
I am thinking of a solution with no compiled dll but it is in an early stage. We 'll see...
For now I am rewriting the XGoZImport Command code for better code flow, better Material Handling and other options.

------
Memag : "UpdateXGoZActiveProjectPath" Jscript is no go.
Try to create a new project in Softimage.

If you get an error Like "disk is write protected" this is the case:

You need to have appropriate permission for the Softimage project folder in order the XGoZ to work.

Create a new project in a folder that you have Write, or better Full control permission, for example in your user Documents folder or subfolder.

...or if you have an administrator account and you want to use the folder that causes the error (for example Softimage factory "Data" folder), you must set the privileges to Full control by going to folder "Right Click": properties -> security , Select your username and in the Permissions "Allow" Column, Check "Full Control" and Apply.
Hope it helps.

Again,
Thank you All :)
Kostas

Lecaramel

Post by Lecaramel » 03 Aug 2011, 17:40

Hi,

I'm thomas Roussel from Pixologic, in charge of GoZ.

First of all, I would like to thanks kostasph for his hard work on this plugin. I asked him if he was interested in our GoZ SDK to build a better ZBrush <> XSI integration. We are also welcoming all other XSI developers to contact me if they want to help in this project!

You can contact me by email if you wish: thomas at pixologic dot com.

Thanks again !
Last edited by Lecaramel on 03 Aug 2011, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Leo

Post by Leo » 03 Aug 2011, 17:43

Great to see such interaction.

crude

Post by crude » 11 Aug 2011, 12:42

Really good news :-bd

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 29 Aug 2011, 09:18

I really wish there was better inter op between ZBrush and Softimage. Both the dev team are really innovative and I would love to see their software interact with each other without any hassles. VRay and GoZ for Softimage will be wonderful.

Thanks kostasph. Good luck.

Great surprise waiting for us Softimage users this winter. :D

diissar

Post by diissar » 15 Nov 2011, 12:57

Hi,thanks for this great tool,is it fully working with softimage 2012 SP1?

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 16 Dec 2011, 12:44

Work with SI 2012 SP1, but don't work with softimage 2012 SAP.

diissar

Post by diissar » 25 Jan 2012, 14:04

Still no news?