Resourcedump

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Get Closest Filtered pointsAuthor: Paul Smith
Disclaimer: This is from the resourcedump thread on si-community.com so »some restrictions may apply« (but usually don't)

A compound that gets ONLY the closest points in the current pointcloud/geometry that have a »true« boolean. It's much much faster than rifling through arrays. Hopefully someone will find this useful. It works by temporarily moving the filtered points up and away on the Y axis, then the remaining points look in the area where the filtered ones got moved to. Then filtered ones are moved back to their original location. The temporary moving of them is nothing to be concerned about because you wont see it and it doesnt affect simulation.

local backup: Get closest filtered points.xsicompound

rray

Resourcedump

Post by rray » 02 Jan 2013, 00:32

This thread is meant as a general dump for all the stuff that you're not ready to release "officially" for whatever reason, maybe because it's bugged, undocumented, untested, unfinished, in some chaotic unreleasable state, or may otherwise appear "useless" to you.

All sorts of resources, compounds, scripts, notes, models are all welcome! *-:)

==> Just drop a zip <==

I'm making this thread partly because I've got the suspicion/hope there's a lot of daily helper material out there that people would be willing to share, but don't have the time to polish up for a proper release.

If it works this should become interesting, be it only for harvesting junk and spare parts 8-x

IMPORTANT EDIT: Feel free to inquire or respond directly inside this thread. We'll try to split these replies (plus the plugin post itself) off into a new thread once it becomes too big for a specific plugin. And to the creators: please consider beforehand if your contribution might warrant a separate thread.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Reksio

Re: Resourcedump

Post by Reksio » 02 Jan 2013, 22:29

An excellent initiative. Hats off to you!

rray

Post by rray » 03 Jan 2013, 01:11

Cheers Reksio! Here's something to set things off hopefully :D .. some extra menu items..
"Set new BindPose" (in animation->envelope menu) which does a "set reference pose" for all bones but keeps the shape of the mesh. (warning might destrory existing shapes on the mesh!)
"reset rotations" (in animation->envelope menu) which resets all bone rotations to 0
"region options" (in viewport->camera menu) which inspects the region options
2 textures
Attachments
radial_web.jpg
rope.jpg
CMI.zip
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 03 Jan 2013, 02:08

good thread! here is a small contribution...

Color Goal compounds: you can use texture map alpha, brightness or weightmap values to define your particle goal locations.

Attachments
Color_Goal.rar
Color Goal ICE Compounds
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 03 Jan 2013, 02:29

..and another one: Feather Builder
*only works on straight curves and generates perfect mirrored feather barbs.

it has some neat PPG logic for toggling fcurves UI display on/off.

Attachments
Feather Builder.rar
feather builder ice compound
(22.97 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Last edited by fabricio.chamon on 03 Jan 2013, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 03 Jan 2013, 02:40

ICE Dart Throw scene: a very basic dart throwing algorithm in ice.
The icetree is simulated, so one can easily to see and understand what's going on. Red particles are newborn particles.

Attachments
ICE_dart_throw.rar
ICE Dart Throw
(130.29 KiB) Downloaded 595 times

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 03 Jan 2013, 03:05

fake vorticity: a mushroom nuke effect. (fake in a sense that there is no fluid simulation happening, but some rotation trickery instead.) Also some degree of control is allowed by animating the main null.

Viewport Capture: video

Attachments
fake_vorticity.rar
Fake Vorticity
(216.12 KiB) Downloaded 596 times

fabricio.chamon

Post by fabricio.chamon » 03 Jan 2013, 03:37

Strandtree meshed model: strandtree compounds packed into a ready-to-go geometry model.

It has the main compound parameters exposed on the "Tree Controls" property. A script is provided (as annotation property) if you want to freeze the model (mantain uvs + leaf color variation). Just copy/paste and run.
If you dive into the objects' icetrees you will see tweakable/fixed groups. Tweakable can be changed as you will, fixed are for nodes already linked on the main pset or that don't have to be touched.

The model is exported at very low iterations so that it can load faster. (warning, can become terrible slow with many iterations!)

Download: Model

rray

Post by rray » 03 Jan 2013, 18:08

Hey thanks for the great contribution Fabricio!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Jan 2013, 22:08

Just a few for now, hope I'll find more.

Procedural book listing

As name says, it drives all deformations, using one scalar value. Here this is movement along X axis, of null called "timer". In setup, first step is getting a bounding box of book. Next step is a small procedural bend node, center and radius of bending is modulated, according to rotation of papers. Last step is rotation of papers.

Requirements: a bunch of perfectly planar planes in one mesh, distributed along local Y axis. Local Z is axis of rotation. Setup automatically adapts to bounding box size. Any additional deformation should go after this ICE tree - that is, above in stack. Plain scale - rotate - translate is OK.

I've added few comments about parameters. Setup is already animated. For assigning materials, I think the best way is to use just one image with "mosaic" of smaller ones, together with appropriate UV - somewhat easier to manage in 2d app.

Get it here.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Jan 2013, 22:11

Volume of tetrahedron

Calculates volume of smallest possible closed mesh, or just a volume between four points, in somewhat ICE-ish way. For each point position, knowing positions of another three. Could be usable for filling the volume between by clones, or whatever else.
tetrahedra_volume.zip
(45.75 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

Matic

Post by Matic » 03 Jan 2013, 23:42

This is a good thing. (And when it comes to broken scraps and crap with little conceivable use, well, I'm your guy.) :D

Here's a rather dreadful implementation of the "diamond-square" algorithm for generating terrain. It's painfully slow just at the point where detail gets interesting, in part because it has a big whopping repeat with counter node right in the middle of it. It might be a good example of how not to approach modeling stuff procedurally in ICE, other than that I can't see any use for it. :P

If someone was to build a proper implementation of the diamond-square algorithm I'd love to see it, it's perhaps the simplest kind of iterative model there is so it might be a good example to use to show how to go about this kind of thing (this isn't it lol).

Cheers
Attachments
example_diamondSquareTerrain.zip
Diamond square algorithm in ice, crap version
(142.69 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

rray

Post by rray » 04 Jan 2013, 22:17

Cheers Anto and Matic, cool additions.

Here are a few "caustic" textures for spot light projections
Attachments
CausticPattern03.jpg
CausticPattern02.jpg
CausticPattern01.jpg

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Jan 2013, 23:25

Fill Quads

ICE compound, emits particles evenly from each polygon, trying to keep the same particle size, also trying to fill polygon area as much possible. Number of rows and columns in one polygon, is determined by desired global count per mesh. In case of all rectangles, it should be able to do 1:1 covering. I made a prototype a while ago, for purpose of hair emitter - but emitting from triangles was a more robust solution for hair system.

Requirements:
1: polygon mesh, created only of quads (for triangles or five or more sides, it does something unwanted)
2: nice, unfolded UV projection on mesh - this is used for orientation. Let's say, "unique UV" in SI should be fine
3: ICE node on emitter mesh, with "initialize polymesh emitter" node - same as one from Kristinka Hair

Limitations:
1: it works properly only with quads
2: "polygons" in UV projection should be convex - usually they are with mentioned "unique UV", unfold, or like.
3: for now, in order to find vector for orientation, it interpolates between two sides of polygon. Taking a vector from possible tangent map, could do a nicer alignment.

Get the entire setup here.

I've added a few additional options, possible this node could be used for procedurally animated "self - building" structures. There's "compensate pivot" which moves center of rotation to the side of particle. There's also "delete interior" for look of rivets on hull... "Max x Max" forces equal count for each polygon. X and Y moving is relative, 1 is distance to neighboring particle. "Smooth normal", if activated, calls interpolated point normal, off is non-interpolated surface geometric normal - second should be better for walls, buildings or like.

Matic

Post by Matic » 07 Jan 2013, 01:19

One way to make "greebles" in ICE...

It works fine, so why am I putting it in a "public rubbish bin" rather than releasing it with fanfare? Well, I'm not particularly proud of it lol. Here are some reasons why this isn't awesome:

- It's a "push" style deformer, meaning it doesn't create geometry it just deforms it. That kinda blows, it means you have to start with a very dense mesh. In fact, this is the main reason why I haven't released the loads of terrain stuff I've got hanging around - I haven't come up with a good way to make the geometry as I go and add detail only where it's needed that isn't too slow.

- This is just worley noise hooked to a push deform structure and a repeat node. I was sure a zillion people were going to do it, in fact I'm amazed I haven't seen this compound done better from someone else. Surely we have some Star Wars fans somewhere messing with ice?

-I never bothered to add in a control to decrease the amplitude of the noise per generation. This would be easy enough to sort out but I never got around to it.

-The deformer respects normals, but the noise itself is spatial, in other words it doesn't "flow" along the surface, which would be nice. Note the sphere shape in the video (http://andy.moonbase.net), instead of looking like the death star it reveals this spatial, circular character of the worley noise.

But it's hardly doing any good sitting on my hard drive so here you go - consider it an example of how to iterate a push deformer. Try turbulence instead of worley noise and it will look a little terrain like. Change the worley noise and you can make some crater-like looks. So it sucks, but in a kinda fun way. Hope it's of use to someone.

Too big to attach, you can find it here: http://andy.moonbase.net/archives/897

julca

Post by julca » 15 Jan 2013, 23:36

Hello,

I want to share the code for the implementation of LuxRays renderer into Softimage.

I want to warn you that this is an old version of LuxRays and an old version of the softimage plugin.
I stop development of this plugin 2 years ago L-).

The workgroup actualy only work on softimage 2011 x64 and use only cpu.

The current code isn't ready to compile (I modify the file "softscene.cpp" when I stopped the development..).
But I think it may just help those who want to integrate a renderer :ymdaydream: .

Here is a small demonstration :

And some screenshots :
luxray_01.jpg
luxray_02.jpg
luxray_03.jpg
However luxrays has since become much more efficient today (http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRays).

Download the project source code and/or the workgroup (with dll)

Moderator edit: download links added - HB