OpenVDB to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

OpenVDB ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This is a Softimage ICE integration of the OpenVDB suite, Dreamworks Animation's volumetrics toolset which has been built around a new data structure for efficient storage and manipulation of big volumes. See openvdb_dreamworks.pdf for slides of a OpenVDB feature presentation.

Oleg Bliznuk, author of Exocortex's Implosia FX and Explosia FX has created this ICE adapter. His fluid simulator »Explosia FX« (free as a noncommercial version) can be used to create VDB files. OpenVDB ICE covers the essential features of the OpenVDB suite:

Mental Ray/Arnold shaders included: VDBGridReaderScalar VDBGridReaderVec3 VDBGridReaderInt VDBVolumeShaderSimple VDBBlackbody

Compounds included: Voxelize Geometry Voxelize Particles Get VDB Grid Set VDB Grid File Grid IO Add Noise Fogvolume Filter LevelSet Boolean Operations LevelSet Morphology VolumeFog Boolean Operations Advection Get Value at Coordinate Set Value at Coordinate Grid To Mesh Mesh To Grid Get Grid Data Particles To Grid Grid IO Fill Box Grid Change Grid Class Noise Advect Level Set Morphological Filters Rebuild LevelSet Resample Grid Transform Platonic Create Grid CSG Deep Copy Grid Morpher Polygonize Grid Solidify Level Set Create Velocity Field Display Grid Info Platonic Sphere Resize Container to Active Volume Visualize Grid Slice Visualize Scalar Grid Visualize Scalar Grid Slice Visualize Vector Grid Visualize Vector Grid Slice

For feedback and questions, visit the si-community thread. There's also some info there on how to interoperate with emFluid. Here is a demo video by the author and another video from the thread, created by Rob Chapman using only OpenVDB ICE nodes and rendered using the included openVDB arnold shaders. Requirements: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

local backup: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar

Bullit

Re: OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by Bullit » 01 Jan 2014, 19:18

Shaders should be in rendertree no?

Ahmidou

Post by Ahmidou » 02 Jan 2014, 11:47

Great work Oleg, and thanks for sharing, this such a usefull tool.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 02 Jan 2014, 14:33

>>i am new user to softimage
>>i cant find the vdb _ai shaders
>>i only find vdb has _mi shaders
>>how can i show the ai shaders

attach please your plugin manager' state screenshot, screenshot with logged errors. Did the mi shaders work for you ? Did you extract the arnold shaders into the sitoa dir ?
Write me all your steps, otherwise I dont know what is going on

Rork

Post by Rork » 02 Jan 2014, 16:29

Also...
The arnold sharders are compiled against sitoa 3.0,
So unless you're running the latest beta core of Arnold, this is not going to work anyway.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

amr_helmy

Post by amr_helmy » 02 Jan 2014, 16:50

Mr.Core wrote:>>i am new user to softimage
>>i cant find the vdb _ai shaders
>>i only find vdb has _mi shaders
>>how can i show the ai shaders

attach please your plugin manager' state screenshot, screenshot with logged errors. Did the mi shaders work for you ? Did you extract the arnold shaders into the sitoa dir ?
Write me all your steps, otherwise I dont know what is going on

the mi shader doesnt work , and i followed the step and put the dll file in its place
here screen for arnold version and error that i got and plugin manger
thanks

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 02 Jan 2014, 17:27

well, seems like something is messed up, because i see warnings about conflicting versions. To be sure, delete all openvdb stuff ( workgroups with ice nodes\arnold shaders from the sitoa folder ). then, 1) redownload archive 2) unpack and connect the VDB2SI_WG folder in the plugin manager 3) unpack the "extractToSITOAdir" into the C:\Users\username\Autodesk\Softimage_XXX\Addons\SItoA\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64 4) restart XSI

also you need to have installed vs2012 redistributable

First of all, mental ray shaders ( mi ) must work even if the arnolds package is not found

amr_helmy

Post by amr_helmy » 03 Jan 2014, 18:24

Mr.Core wrote:well, seems like something is messed up, because i see warnings about conflicting versions. To be sure, delete all openvdb stuff ( workgroups with ice nodes\arnold shaders from the sitoa folder ). then, 1) redownload archive 2) unpack and connect the VDB2SI_WG folder in the plugin manager 3) unpack the "extractToSITOAdir" into the C:\Users\username\Autodesk\Softimage_XXX\Addons\SItoA\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64 4) restart XSI

also you need to have installed vs2012 redistributable

First of all, mental ray shaders ( mi ) must work even if the arnolds package is not found

hi i did what u said
and it give me that error below
by the way .. in a new scene the shader doesnt appear in render tree
but the scene with the file render with arnold and 3 shader appear in ice tree.. black body is not there

Rork

Post by Rork » 03 Jan 2014, 18:27

you might have more response posting in the Arnold mailinglist....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 03 Jan 2014, 18:45

try to disconnect the vdb workgroup, then connect it again ( this should set loading order to load arnold plugin dir first then vdb stuff ), or wiat till I will post an update of shaders without that piece of intel bs ( i mean tbb.dll )

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 04 Jan 2014, 15:39

works ok for me! :D

thank you Oleg, what is not clear here is that you have implemented a whole load of existing VDB code & functionality inside ICE compounds with this - so the cloud rendered here is completely procedurally generated with ICE and VDB nodes. no houdini involved ;) fantastic stuff, it is tremendously useful for some of us Softimagers to remain in touch with latest industry developments. it seems openVDB is more popular and succesful than Field3D ?
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 05 Jan 2014, 22:42

You are welcome, Rob :) I'd like to get some feedback and wishes on future implementation since it is not always clear how to better implement something here and there. I think openvdb has a far better spreading because of it's wide set of tools for volumetric processing, while field3d is only format by itself ( if i am not mistaken ). And i have feeling that openvdb has more agressive promotion :-)

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 06 Jan 2014, 12:06

this is amazing!
played around with it a bit.

i'd love to see a connection to emFluid. (is that possible?)
or more examples for ICE only situations.

unfortunately i don't have anything to show yet. i'll go on and try again.

thank you very much Mr.Core
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 06 Jan 2014, 16:49

>>i'd love to see a connection to emFluid. (is that possible?)
Nothing special have to be done - emfluid just need to export in .vdb format and thats enough :)

caledonian_tartan

Post by caledonian_tartan » 06 Jan 2014, 17:06

...Nothing special have to be done...
i used "VDB Voxelize Particles" which worked so far.
but as this only translates "point-/-size/-velocity/-position", no voxelgrid/velocitygrid... i didn't get a cool look at all.

so guess caching to .vdb is needed...(?)

EDIT:
emfluid just need to export in .vdb format
how do i do that?
SI 2015 @ WIN7-64

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 06 Jan 2014, 17:39

i dont have emfluid, but suppose we have access to raw voxel grid values, then you can build something like this:
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 06 Jan 2014, 17:42

however, I heard somewhere emfluid has native exporting to vdb, so ask Eric for this to make sure