OpenVDB to Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

OpenVDB ICEAuthor: Oleg Bliznuk
This is a Softimage ICE integration of the OpenVDB suite, Dreamworks Animation's volumetrics toolset which has been built around a new data structure for efficient storage and manipulation of big volumes. See openvdb_dreamworks.pdf for slides of a OpenVDB feature presentation.

Oleg Bliznuk, author of Exocortex's Implosia FX and Explosia FX has created this ICE adapter. His fluid simulator »Explosia FX« (free as a noncommercial version) can be used to create VDB files. OpenVDB ICE covers the essential features of the OpenVDB suite:

Mental Ray/Arnold shaders included: VDBGridReaderScalar VDBGridReaderVec3 VDBGridReaderInt VDBVolumeShaderSimple VDBBlackbody

Compounds included: Voxelize Geometry Voxelize Particles Get VDB Grid Set VDB Grid File Grid IO Add Noise Fogvolume Filter LevelSet Boolean Operations LevelSet Morphology VolumeFog Boolean Operations Advection Get Value at Coordinate Set Value at Coordinate Grid To Mesh Mesh To Grid Get Grid Data Particles To Grid Grid IO Fill Box Grid Change Grid Class Noise Advect Level Set Morphological Filters Rebuild LevelSet Resample Grid Transform Platonic Create Grid CSG Deep Copy Grid Morpher Polygonize Grid Solidify Level Set Create Velocity Field Display Grid Info Platonic Sphere Resize Container to Active Volume Visualize Grid Slice Visualize Scalar Grid Visualize Scalar Grid Slice Visualize Vector Grid Visualize Vector Grid Slice

For feedback and questions, visit the si-community thread. There's also some info there on how to interoperate with emFluid. Here is a demo video by the author and another video from the thread, created by Rob Chapman using only OpenVDB ICE nodes and rendered using the included openVDB arnold shaders. Requirements: Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package (x64)

local backup: OpenVDB_to_Softimage_v0.8.rar

xsisupport

Re: OpenVDB to Softimage

Post by xsisupport » 31 Oct 2014, 14:45

I answered this on the SItoA mailing list...just search the list for OriginPath.
That third-party plugin is a bit old now and so it is doing a few things wrong:

- There is no SItoA plugin called "Arnold Shaders"
- SItoA doesn't ship tbb42.dll

In Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64\VDB_shaderDefs_ai.pys, add this line:

import sipyutils

and then replace this line
dllPath_release = Application.Plugins("Arnold Shaders").OriginPath + "bin\\nt-x86-64\\tbb42.dll";
with
dllPath_release = __sipath__ + "//tbb42.dll";
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Pitcher

Post by Pitcher » 31 Oct 2014, 16:47

I am on SiToA 2.8.0 Softimage 2013 SP1 - I have part of the problem solved by changing the _ai.pys file as per Stephens advice, but still get this error when trying to renderregion the cloud example scene:

# WARNING : [arnold] node "VDBVolumeShaderSimple_ai" is not installed # ERROR : [sitoa]: Unable to load VDBVolumeShaderSimple_ai from the Arnold plugins (first occurrence: Sources.Materials.DefaultLib.Scene_Material.VDBVolumeShaderSimple_ai)

Stephen kindly investigated this one further and found that the OpenVDB shader was compiled against a later version of Arnold than what I have :/

Bummer...

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 27 Nov 2014, 23:39

apologies for bumping this Oleg, at work is linux not windows. is there anything needed extra to compile this for linux or can we just compile the latest vdb source from here and use your ICE vdb compounds still? or even some of Mr Carons github files from here but these are quite old.

There are some clever coding guys who can compile for me at work but they are Maya but they sometimes throw this salty old softimage dog some compiled bones once in a while

:-bd
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 28 Nov 2014, 00:44

I just use your bump to ask, if there is a version that works on SI 2014 SP2 and above? :)

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 28 Nov 2014, 17:39

@Tekano
i have shared sources of my integrator along with compounds, compile it against vdb 2.1.0
https://bitbucket.org/OlegBliznuk/openvdb_to_softimage/src
however the code is pretty old and has a tons of bad programming style things, forgive me that - i didnt have time to finish it .
I have removed shaders because solid angle now have a proper openvdb one for mtoa and htoa with levelset render, motion blur support etc - if I am not mistaken we can use any arnold plugins now thanks to autogeneration of shaderdef files

@sant0s
does the current version works in 2014 ? Should not be any troubles because the icenodes api is not changed in 2014

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 28 Nov 2014, 19:29

Oleg... a true gentleman!

many thanks :-bd
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

izze

Post by izze » 01 Dec 2014, 16:17

Thank you so much for this amazing addition! I don't know where I would be today without the insane generosity of the XSI community. I am constantly overwhelmed!

I spent the holiday weekend getting my FumeFX simulation from Maya into XSI. I finally got everything to work correctly. But, I am getting an error when pulling the shaders into the Render Tree. Everything seems to work fine. But I wanted to see what might be causing the error and make sure it is not something to be worried about.

SI 2015 x64
SITOA 3.2.0

// ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
// File "<Script Block 2>", line 546, in VDB_shaderDefs_ai_VDBBlackbody_ai_1_0_Define
// rendererDef.CodePath = Application.Plugins("Arnold Shaders").OriginPath + "bin\nt-x86-64" + "\VDB_Blackbody_Shaders_ai.{EXT}";
// AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'OriginPath'
// - [line 545 in E:\workgroup\v11\win64\VDB2SI_WG\Application\Plugins\bin\nt-x86-64\VDB_shaderDefs_ai.pys]

michelgirault

Post by michelgirault » 24 Jan 2015, 16:26

Hello,

I'm new to this forum although I have been using SI in the past
I was wondering if openVDB is still a life project?

thanks

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 24 Jan 2015, 18:07

Hi,

you can use now up-to-date official vdb shaders:
https://support.solidangle.com/display/ ... so+shaders
there is no need to mess with my old implementation, however the vdb ICEnodes pack is still valid(at least should be unless there is some compatibility problems with upcoming vdb3.0)

klebedaja

Post by klebedaja » 06 Jun 2015, 21:08

Hi Mr. Core,

Should your shaders work with latest sitoa 3.6?
I am reading the grid, but cant get it rendered...

I've also tried rendering it with volume_collector no luck...

klebedaja

Post by klebedaja » 06 Jun 2015, 23:21

Ah, the vdb version seems unsupported:

unsupported VDB file format (expected version 222 or earlier, got version 223)

Anyone knows what would be the best solution to this one?

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 06 Jun 2015, 23:29

https://support.solidangle.com/display/SItoAUG/Volume

should answer all questions :)

Mr.Core

Post by Mr.Core » 06 Jun 2015, 23:31

Hi klebedaja,
those shaders are outdated and provide less functionality than arnold native implementation nowadays

edit:
see what actually santos has posted before i have replied :)

klebedaja

Post by klebedaja » 07 Jun 2015, 01:13

Yes I know about those but I actually have problems getting it render with sitoa volume for some reason.
I'll try forcing vdb version with houdini env variable to earlier version and see if that help. I'll post results.

Besides that, I have one vdb with multiple containers. Is it possible to load it with your tool? I don't know how...

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 07 Jun 2015, 02:19

which SitoA version?

klebedaja

Post by klebedaja » 07 Jun 2015, 09:06

Sitoa 3.6